David Bowie returns (2 Viewers)

I had The Next Day on for my drive into Dublin this evening. I realised I'd only listened to it once before. It's boring the band sound boring and the production is boring.
I played Heathen next and compared to The Next Day it sounded like a masterpiece. Of course, there is only actually about 4, maybe 5, good songs on it. But those are great, the rest are pretty terrible and boring.
Before I got home I was half way through Lodger, not boring.

What do you think of the new one?

I listened to The Next Day for a change from the new one and found it fairly boring too, although I liked it when it came out. I put on Earthling then but had to turn it off fairly quickly.

And Ashes to Ashes was in my head all afternoon

The part beginning... "The shrieking of nothing is killing me
Just pictures of Jap girls in synthesis"

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is a great site for critiques/ analysis/ inside info / nitty gritty on pretty much every DB song -
ashes to ashes | Search Results | Pushing Ahead of the Dame

Driving the boy to school this morning with Lodger on. "it sounds like a cheese grater on my ears" during Boys Keep Swinging. So I put on Hunky Dory, "this sounds an actual song". It was Changes.

This is a great site for critiques/ analysis/ inside info / nitty gritty on pretty much every DB song -
ashes to ashes | Search Results | Pushing Ahead of the Dame

I love sites like that!

There's a GREAT motown one, some proper epic essays, old people from motown appearing in the comments section making corrections and sharing their memories and everything!

Motown Junkies

and a manics one

Manic Street Preachers song-by-song

I've been toying with creating a Prince one, i've even written up 2 or 3 entries but haven't gotten round to posting it.

I just bought Black Star for my missus' birthday tomorrow. Really though, it's a present for myself because she hasn't been able to watch any of the TV footage or listen to any Bowie since Monday. A bit too emotional yet.
As I was leaving the shopping centre they were blasting the big "If our love song Could fly over mountains Sail over heartaches Just like the films" crescendo of Absolute Beginners over the PA. I felt a bit emotional myself.

It is a bit.

There's a nice clip of him being coached to say "Tá sé mahogonay gaspipes*" and he's really enjoying himself.

*no idea where this came from. There used to be a building in Stoneybatter with this over the door.

Th
It is a bit.

There's a nice clip of him being coached to say "Tá sé mahogonay gaspipes*" and he's really enjoying himself.

*no idea where this came from. There used to be a building in Stoneybatter with this over the door.
That place was a restaurant. But yeah, what the fuck is it supposed to mean?

the 9 y.o. was taught 'starman' in school today. she was singing it here this evening and pointed out the similarity to 'over the rainbow' which i hadn't noticed before. turns out she's right...

Starman wiki said:
The music is in a gentle pop rock vein, featuring prominent acoustic guitar and a string arrangement by Mick Ronson, not dissimilar to the style of Bowie's previous album Hunky Dory (1971). The chorus is loosely based on Harold Arlen's "Over the Rainbow" from the film The Wizard of Oz, alluding to the "Starman"'s extraterrestrial origins (over the rainbow) (the octave leap on the word "Starman" is identical to that on the word "Somewhere" in "Over the Rainbow").[6]

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back