David Bowie returns (1 Viewer)

listening to Queen Bitch brought back many memories of air guitaring along to that in me jocks at 6 am on the kitchen table

Rest In Peace Maestro.Thanks for the mad jams

Under no circumstances do I want to find out what the prick has to say about Bowie.

Really nice thing happened today though. An old schoolfriend that I have not spoken to in at least 25 years messaged saying he remembered how much of a Bowie fan I was back then. He was expressing his sympathy and also reminiscing about how we used to go back to my gaff during school lunchtimes and listen to vinyl copies of Aladdin Sane Low etc. We might meet up for a pint soon.

has been a great show. who did the five years cover about an hour ago do you know?
I missed a good chunk in the middle. Will be having a listen back.

yeah, the thinkpieces can get fucked. i really enjoyed reading people's initial feeling posts here and on twitter (and facebook). We got through today together.

I don't know how to properly quote other Thumpeders as you all can, but I so agree with Chris D "We got through today together", and that means a lot. And Hugh, that's a lovely story about your old schoolfriend, you really should meet up with them - that's the beauty of Bowie, he inspires real feeling and meaning.

Under no circumstances do I want to find out what the prick has to say about Bowie.

Ha, I didn't even cop the author on the first read of it and wondered who could be so objectionable.
He doesn't go on about the man or the music, its just a short piece on how he lived with death in privacy and with dignity, a thought I'm sure occurred to everyone.

that 'limited' release of blackstar, think it was 5000 copies is going for 100s online. some awful cunts buy records

To end the day, from:

The Big Send-Off: 10 Epic Guitar Outros

“Moonage Daydream” (David Bowie/Mick Ronson)

Mick Ronson’s extended outro on this Bowie classic – played on a Les Paul Custom with a wah pedal for tone control – constitutes one of glam rock’s definitive moments. In an interview with Gibson.com, producer Ken Scott said the late guitarist nailed the solo in a single take. “My recollection is that there had been no discussion, beforehand, regarding what it should be, or what it was going to be,” Scott revealed. “It was more like, ‘Okay, it’s time to do it,’ and he went and played it. David and I just went, ‘Wow!’ Whether or not Ronson had spent time working on it at home, beforehand, is something I can’t answer.”

https://w
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

that 'limited' release of blackstar, think it was 5000 copies is going for 100s online. some awful cunts buy records
The real kicker is that it looks a bit shit compared to the regular black vinyl version, it looks like the kind of album that the black monolith from 2001: A Space Odyssey would listen to, the clear one looks kind of cheap.

Not much to add apart from that I also feel really sad about his departure, but also strangely uplifted and feeling really alive. It's odd, I've never been hit by a famous person's death like this one and I'm not sure why. I mean, sure I'm a fan, but, still....Maybe it's because he was always current and always relevant, always releasing stuff, so it still felt like he was part of our lives all along, from listening to stuff on the radio like Absolute Beginners as a teenager, to being given Hunky Dory and Ziggy by my brother, to listening to the Berlin ones later and then lots of obsessing over Station to Station and Diamond Dogs and all the other albums in the years after. Spending all day yesterday and some of today with these and talking to friends about it was a really great, if sad, experience.

But yeah. Right in the chest. Especially with Heroes, all of Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

I just think it's so damn fantastic that he released a last album just before he died. It's such an inspiring and classy move. Plus it's a really good record. In fact, I'm gonna give it another spin right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back