David Bowie returns (2 Viewers)

I'm just listening to it now, it really does flow well. There's a lot to be said for compact best ofs that stick to a particular style.

bowie's record player

about 5700 sterling to buy one.

its beautiful .

DB glimpse 8_cover.jpg

from here:

Inside David Bowie’s Private Collection | Sotheby's

I heard some of that Lazarus cast album in Freebird yesterday, it sounded great. Looking forward to hearing it in full.

Blackstar out-takes

Listen to one of David Bowie’s final recordings, ‘When I Met You’

Also excellent, poppier than the album
Anyone else listen to the Lazarus soundtrack/new Bowie EP (whatever way you want to slice it)? I'm enjoying the musical side of things, it's probably not surprising that Bowie's style works well in a more theatrical setting. Michael C. Hall's vocals are surprisingly good, he has a little bit of Bowie in him but never really sounds like he's doing an impersonation or imitation. The female vocals are less successful, they all sound like generic West End singers which sucks a bit of the life out of the songs. Things like the "sha-la-la-la" in "This Is Not America" sound especially clichéd. That said, it's an interesting album and it's nice to listen to those really familiar songs in a new way.

The Bowie EP is, unsurprisingly, great. Aside from "Lazarus", the songs don't really sound like Blackstar, they're more in the vein of The Next Day. I need a few more listens to it all (I've listened to it all twice) but it was definitely worth getting. Would have loved if he recorded enough to fill both sides of the record though. Well, he probably did but it will be trickled out on special editions, random compilations, etc. as the label bleeds the vaults dry.

I have no interest in hearing the Lazarus cast thing, it's a terrible idea (whatever it is, I know nothing about it)
Bowie wanted to re-visit The Man Who Fell to Earth as a musical type thing. Have no idea what the play itself is like though. I've heard good things about it so far.

Anyone else listen to the Lazarus soundtrack/new Bowie EP (whatever way you want to slice it)? I'm enjoying the musical side of things, it's probably not surprising that Bowie's style works well in a more theatrical setting. Michael C. Hall's vocals are surprisingly good, he has a little bit of Bowie in him but never really sounds like he's doing an impersonation or imitation. The female vocals are less successful, they all sound like generic West End singers which sucks a bit of the life out of the songs. Things like the "sha-la-la-la" in "This Is Not America" sound especially clichéd. That said, it's an interesting album and it's nice to listen to those really familiar songs in a new way.

The Bowie EP is, unsurprisingly, great. Aside from "Lazarus", the songs don't really sound like Blackstar, they're more in the vein of The Next Day. I need a few more listens to it all (I've listened to it all twice) but it was definitely worth getting. Would have loved if he recorded enough to fill both sides of the record though. Well, he probably did but it will be trickled out on special editions, random compilations, etc. as the label bleeds the vaults dry.
Yep agreed; I was pleasantly surprised by the whole thing. I agree on Hall's vocals, I think he gets it just right. I agree too on the female vocals, but you're right, the songs really do stand up to the musical theatre experience. I'm going to see the show on the 25th of this month, so am very excited to see how the play part of it works out.
The EP is terrific. Bowie was really getting into something with those last songs; a sound or direction I don't think he had used before. It does sound close to The Next Day in terms of sonics; I also heard a bit of Outside in there too - specifically When I Met You, which reminds me a bit of Strangers When We Meet.
He had a fantastic band for those Blackstar sessions and really seemed at the top of his game creatively as well. It would have be great to see where he went after.

Was only able to catch the last 30 minutes of the bbc thing last night. Have it recorded at least. Do not like the look of that musical at all, sorry @Cornu Ammonis!

But I could watch Tony Visconti messing about with his mixer isolating Bowie vocal tracks all day. Seeing the band playing Backstar was great too.

Been listening to the album a lot today. Keeps getting better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back