David Bowie returns (1 Viewer)

I just watched this documentary, it's good but they could have chopped at least half an hour off it. It was meant to be about his last five years, not his whole career! I still think musicals are a flat-out bad idea

I enjoyed the Last 5 Years doc and very much enjoyed Lazarus when i saw it. The narrative is a bit pants but the production - music, cast, sound, lights, use of film etc is deadly.
I saw Enda Walsh's Q+A as part of the Dublin Bowie Festival, which was very entertaining and informative. He had some great insights into working with Bowie.
Gerry Leonard Q+A is on tonight in Whelan's.

It was meant to be about his last five years, not his whole career!
To me, the look over his career makes sense given that the last two albums and the musical are all about recycling his older work into something new (altering the Heroes album cover for The Next Day, sampling Ashes to Ashes in All Is Lost, the constellation diagrams on Blackstar that look like the dance step diagrams on the Let's Dance sleeve, the nod to A New Career in a New Town on the last track on Blackstar, all of the Lazarus musical, etc.).

I had presumed he had known he was dying for some time before he did but I guess it was actually more him taking stock, the documentary did a good job in revealing that.

Also, I need to find some albums by the Blackstar band, they were fucking great!

The isolated vocals all sounded deadly, as did the instrumentals. The Next Day material sounded really beefy when it was just the band (not that it was bad on the album but it's cool to hear how it might have sounded live).

The isolated vocals all sounded deadly, as did the instrumentals. The Next Day material sounded really beefy when it was just the band (not that it was bad on the album but it's cool to hear how it might have sounded live).

I dunno, those The Next Day guys are talented musicians and all but they don't have any kind of edge. It's all too comfortable, they don't sound like people with anything at stake in what they're doing (except maybe their careers, houses, the welfare of their families etc).

I dunno, those The Next Day guys are talented musicians and all but they don't have any kind of edge. It's all too comfortable, they don't sound like people with anything at stake in what they're doing (except maybe their careers, houses, the welfare of their families etc).
I think the main live band for the Reality tour (which had a few extra people/different drummer I think) might be accused of that but I thought the four alone sounded tight. I loved the two guitars when Visconti isolated them. Yeah, they're definitely session-y types but I felt chemistry in the playing.

Pitchfork make a good argument for Changesonebowie existing in 2016:

David Bowie: Changesonebowie Album Review | Pitchfork

did anyone on here grow up with it being their go-to bowie?
Just listening to this again. It really plays like the greatest album of all time. I wonder was it carefully planned or just thrown together to get some 'product' out there at the time.

The only other best of I can think being sequenced this good that captures some kind of essence of a group while not including everything was that Death to the Pixies one from the 90's.

and ABBA Gold I guess.

Any other suggestions welcome though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back