Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (7 Viewers)

what do they mean by 'deadly' though?
more than 2,461 people died in america last tuesday. seems that on average, 8000 people die every day in the states anyway.

has to be bollocks, actually, if you consider the spanish flu.
"After taking the lives of 195,000 Americans in October 1918"
that's an *average* of over 6k per day.

i would assume so. i was just being pernickety and pointing out that he was probably referring to 'deaths from a single cause' but not stating this.
though heart disease kills at about the same rate as a bad day from covid deaths does.

So, has anyone got any well-written pieces that take a look at the countries who have done well vs those who don't?

I know people have been slicing the data all sorts of ways to suit all sorts of arguments, and the data is very imprecise worldwide because of different methodologies and reporting, but has anyone come across anything good written in what appears to be good faith?

So, has anyone got any well-written pieces that take a look at the countries who have done well vs those who don't?

I know people have been slicing the data all sorts of ways to suit all sorts of arguments, and the data is very imprecise worldwide because of different methodologies and reporting, but has anyone come across anything good written in what appears to be good faith?

Maybe this would be a start. I have not read it but i've the tab open.
Though it might not be well written..

I've been burying my head in the sand / frantically packing / panic attacks over the last while, but my god things aren't looking good in the US at the moment.

I guess I'm just inured to the insanity of the place, but there's thousands of people dying every day here, and these kinds of histograms don't paint a pretty picture.

Like, I know the gobshites running the show are busy with their coup, but.... like, what the fuck is going on.
I'd noticed one or two places have closed down again, I thought I saw people talking about taking things seriously.

I dunno. Just got a scary feeling looking at the numbers there.

1607804433989.png

I was running numbers in my head the other day. The death rate per capita in the US is still half of the UK's at its worst. But the UK's worst was back in April. The US has had a lot more time to sort stuff out. I assume their death rate will only go up.

Fundamentally it is Trump and friends making things as bad as possible for the next guy. Now he's killing people for likes and retweets.

I was running numbers in my head the other day. The death rate per capita in the US is still half of the UK's at its worst. But the UK's worst was back in April. The US has had a lot more time to sort stuff out. I assume their death rate will only go up.

Fundamentally it is Trump and friends making things as bad as possible for the next guy. Now he's killing people for likes and retweets.
Is it yeah?

I've been put 50% on a covid project here, and immedeatly completely stopped following any news about covid.

Man, UK really screwed up.

Yeah, pretty much. I mean as I said, It's only sums I did in my head. And I'm talking about deaths rather than cases. And I'm talking to you, you certainly know more than I do.

But, death rates were approaching 1000/day back in April in the UK. 1 in 65,000. Much lower now.
US death rates are currently about 3000/day. 1 in 115,000.

Maybe that's a totally useless metric, I dunno. I can tell you, you were right to avoid the covid news.

Maybe that's a totally useless metric, I dunno. I can tell you, you were right to avoid the covid news.
Near the beginning I remember reading an argument that you can’t really do a whole US per capita comparison with somewhere like the UK and Ireland because it’s such a large area. There are areas where Covid is burning through people and areas where it’s not really that bad (not sure how true that is now), and the per capita numbers average that out.

How well are the US taking the actual numbers though? The UK were only recording something like 75% or 80% the actual death toll, I think?
I've a mate who works in a hospital on the west coast, not a medic but some sort of admin roll. He told me months ago that the government were only counting deaths where people had a confirmed positive rest, but not people who had pretty obviously died of but hadn't been tested

I've a mate who works in a hospital on the west coast, not a medic but some sort of admin roll. He told me months ago that the government were only counting deaths where people had a confirmed positive rest, but not people who had pretty obviously died of but hadn't been tested
Right.

There's been explicit, and... maybe less explicit attempts to lower the body count by shuffling numbers around. What you can do usually is look at the death-by-any-cause category, and then try to normalize that to previous years, then you see the numbers jumping out a bit more clearly.

Edit - it's probably not sound to just attribute *all* above average deaths to covid, but it gives you an idea. Or at least this is the sort of analysis I've seen where it's being strongly implied anyway.

They call that excess deaths over here.

Kinda scary how grim April and May were, looking at this:

Yeah. Huh.

How is the BBC these days? I kind of got disgusted by their Toryism recently, and couldn't really bear to look at it for the last couple of years.

Are they seeming to suggest that the covid thing might be a problem? Or minimizing / falling in line with Tory talking points on it being a bit overblown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back