Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (15 Viewers)

Everyone takes it pretty seriously here, besides the fringes on the right and left, Libertarians, and idiots.

BBC4 radio is still ok. Haven't watched TV in yonks.

The BBC is just a clickbait site really these days. I could scroll the entire homepage and not find a single thing worth reading.

i think the right wing claim the BBC is too left wing, and the left wing complain it's too right wing. i suppose you might say it's the centrist dad of media organisations.

Maybe it was my imagination. I thought they swerved off to the right a while back, Overton window moving type stuff "let's hear BOTH sides of the Brexit debate" and ram more pro brexit shite into the program, followed by a Tory faintly patronizing a brown female town councilor.

Maybe I was just lazy, I had to put effort into seeing what they were putting out.

Think the UK changed to only counting covid deaths that happen within a certain time frame so if it was found some months later as the cause of death after the person had died then it is not included in the official figures ?

Think the UK changed to only counting covid deaths that happen within a certain time frame so if it was found some months later as the cause of death after the person had died then it is not included in the official figures ?
yes, 28 days after the test

so you could spend 30 days in hospital with covid, then die, aand they don't count it

BBC UK have been Tory rags for decades, the World Service is generally not too bad though

i think the right wing claim the BBC is too left wing, and the left wing complain it's too right wing. i suppose you might say it's the centrist dad of media organisations.
yeah, it's not that complicated, it's like Apple or Google or any tech company: the BBC News slant has been to the right on anything to do with economics (Andrew Neill running their biggest politics shows for years for example), but on culture issues it's to the left, i.e. anti-racism, pro-feminism. Like all centrist dads the one thing it absolutely does not want to talk about is how these things interact and it would rather just call anyone who does a non-sensible extremist.

yeah, it's not that complicated, it's like Apple or Google or any tech company: the BBC News slant has been to the right on anything to do with economics (Andrew Neill running their biggest politics shows for years for example), but on culture issues it's to the left, i.e. anti-racism, pro-feminism. Like all centrist dads the one thing it absolutely does not want to talk about is how these things interact and it would rather just call anyone who does a non-sensible extremist.

Neoclassical liberalism?

I was looking for something that covered conservative neoliberal economics while being socially progressive and this popped up.

"Bleeding Heart liberalism" ha, remember that phrase. Yeah I guess so. It's really aggressive these days though, while that phrase seemed to suggest a lot of handwringing but nothing else.

Last edited:
Being my usual democracy via media bore self again but

RTE/BBC are 100% the voice of the state, I don't challenge that.

HOWEVER you actually need the voice of the state in a democratic system. The communist styled idea of having no other broadcasters whatsoever is where it actually becomes a problem. RTE did actually carry the clifden golf story which through public outcry and huge coverage across independent and digital media lead to the termination of political office for a number of people. They did not lead the story, i believe the examiner did but could be wrong, but in the wide picture, we have more than one media outlet which does allow for vox populi alongside vox statum. The bbc/rte is what it is because it actually does have a role in saying what the suits are saying..

anywhoo back to reading whatever moose posted..

HOWEVER you actually need the voice of the state in a democratic system. The communist styled idea of having no other broadcasters whatsoever is where it actually becomes a problem. RTE did actually carry the clifden golf story which through public outcry and huge coverage across independent and digital media lead to the termination of political office for a number of people. They did not lead the story, i believe the examiner did but could be wrong, but in the wide picture, we have more than one media outlet which does allow for vox populi alongside vox statum. The bbc/rte is what it is because it actually does have a role in saying what the suits are saying..

Aye and I think Channel 4 was supposed to provide the balance that the BBC lacked.

It's kinda similar in the states where Trump was the joy of Fox News until he lost and they cast him aside. Just cheerleading whoever in charge.

I believe that is this concept

"Bleeding Heart liberalism" ha, remember that phrase. Yeah I guess so. It's really aggressive these those though, while that phrase seemed to suggest a lot of handwringing but nothing else.

Yeah that phrase is cringe as fuck and I'm sure there is a better term. Leo and Fine Gael are also the masters of it.

Aye and I think Channel 4 was supposed to provide the balance that the BBC lacked.

It's kinda similar in the states where Trump was the joy of Fox News until he lost and they cast him aside. Just cheerleading whoever in charge.

There is the element (which tbh failed in the fox case) of giving endless rope for people to hang themselves in, in that if so much said is documented, then there will be accountability.

I would totally concede that there are issues around institutional memory and selection in who rte/bbc/fox hire.

Biggest failing at the minute is the size of the PR operations - its failing in that its hard for one independed newspaper to compete with a team of 11-12 building a brand around a person, but equally it fails in that the electables at present largely are those who are great at reading anything and making it sound reasonable.

Biggest failing at the minute is the size of the PR operations - its failing in that its hard for one independed newspaper to compete with a team of 11-12 building a brand around a person, but equally it fails in that the electables at present largely are those who are great at reading anything and making it sound reasonable.
Like clockwork..

5 mins ago Varadkar all of a sudden is tweeting about differential pricing in insurance, something Pearse Doherty literally has been ploughing through for years. PR says varadkar isn't going to argue that point better than doherty so fall in line and try to mop the votes that way instead. Rockshore twitter will probably eat it up too.

There is the element (which tbh failed in the fox case) of giving endless rope for people to hang themselves in, in that if so much said is documented, then there will be accountability.

I would totally concede that there are issues around institutional memory and selection in who rte/bbc/fox hire.

Nah I meant more so he's our leader so we cheerlead him, he's now not our leader any more so he's the lowest of scum. Football fan mentality. Anyone not on our team is a paedo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back