Come to the ZU!!! - Final tour details. (1 Viewer)

hag said:
ah, that was the response my remorse got who left immediately after they had played. what happened afterwards was a completely different thing altogether. poor choice of support band on my part is to blame i guess, nice guys though..

in fairness, you didn't even show up for their set.

treelo said:
in fairness, you didn't even show up for their set.
and in fairness to hag he had lots of organising to do including feeding 3 hungry italians, who's only time to eat was then. it's very awkward trying to get bands to venues on time for sound checks etc. coming from another city, then having to look after them food wise, some where else, if the venue/promoter doesn't do food and all when you're not in your own city.
bands like zu will play here over and over again because they are well looked after and i for one appreciate what it takes to make all that happen, it's really not easy.

what is easy is getting a phone call asking you if you want to support some deadly band and saying yes and showing up on the night, playing well and having fun. easy-peasy:)

SadieOutlaw said:
what is easy is getting a phone call asking you if you want to support some deadly band and saying yes and showing up on the night, playing well and having fun. easy-peasy:)
euy... i dont want to cause shit because it really isnt an issue, but i ended up doing a lot more than just showing up and playing on saturday night.

Alan Remorse said:
euy... i dont want to cause shit because it really isnt an issue, but i ended up doing a lot more than just showing up and playing on saturday night.
ah no, i wasn't referring to you, it was just a response to someone implying that hag didn't bother showing up for your set when they don't seem to understand what's involved in making a gig like that happen at all.
the general cluelessness of your average punter as to how much work goes in to putting on a gig is a little pet peeve of mine.

i know... i just dont want people with this impression of us as a band that takes support slots, plays, and then fucks off without a second thought. i did a lot on saturday night, and we adhered to everything that hag asked of us. the only reason i had to leave was cos of a genuine emergency (fuck, think id pass up a free ZU set voluntarily?). also bear in mind that if i hadn't had to leave, the lads woulda been staying with me.

gahhh is sounding too much like bitching.

just to reiterate what alan said, we dont just show up play and then leave. We put on a hell of a lot of gigs in cork along with the very very dedicated Leo, Rev boys and Rhona and others. We know what it takes to put on a gig, and it doesnt bother us that Hag wasnt there. and apologies to those who were there, string breakages and poor set and what not.
as it turned out ken our bass player was the only person who could stay, eoin and rob both work early on sunday mornings, alan said why he had to leave so suddenly, and im in my final year of my law degree and had a moot court exam today, which if i failed, in would have failed the year, so i literally ahd to go home at half 11 and start cramming again.
just saying ordinarily we would never leave such a gig as we love watching visiting bands, however this was an exception, and speaking ofr myself was one i couldnt avoid. disappointed i had to them, but im glad it went great.
hope that clears it up.

i hate missing bands, i had to get food and cook and eat myself. then i came straight back to the venue. rhona, whatever, you know me better than that. i really appreciate you helping out with the gig alan, 'hope i get to see you play soon.

u:m said:
so what did you cook?
they ended up doing the actual cooking... it made sense. carbonara italian style. we assumed it contained cream and they yelled "barbaro!!!" - meaning barbarian, a term they use for nations they never got around to beating up and civilising... there's no cream in carbonara. they fried up lots of onion, around the same volume as the bacon (streaky rashers). stuck in the rashers. beat eggs and added pepper. it's a job for 2, just as the pasta was drained and the bacon/onions added, one stood poised with 2 wooden spoons submerged in the pasta (penne, not spagetti! barbaro!!!) while the other poured the egg mixture over. mixing and puring at the same time is all-important, hence the 4 hands required. it was seriously amazingly tasty. i roasted up loads of vegetables, big deal. the funny thing is i didn't get to eat any veg because i left to get back to the venue on time and i still missed my remorse. and therein lies my remorse.

i'm not bothered making shit out of this, especially on a public forum, but i'd just like to clarify something.

SadieOutlaw said:
ah no, i wasn't referring to you, it was just a response to someone implying that hag didn't bother showing up for your set when they don't seem to understand what's involved in making a gig like that happen at all.
the general cluelessness of your average punter as to how much work goes in to putting on a gig is a little pet peeve of mine.

i started organising gigs 5 years ago, have done so on and off since then, and recently got back from a five week tour. i'm pretty well aware of what's involved in running a gig. i've done gigs in cork for hag before - he asked me to handle the zu one a couple of weeks ago, and i said no.
my remorse can quite easily fill bigger venues than freds on their own. and they're lovely people, so as usual, went out of their way to help a touring band. under no circumstances am i speaking on their behalf, but an established local band can hardly be expected to cack themselves with gratitude at getting to play first in their own town. :eek: ooooh, controversial!

hag said:
rhona, whatever, you know me better than that.

i see.

treelo said:
i'm not bothered making shit out of this, especially on a public forum, but i'd just like to clarify something.

my remorse can quite easily fill bigger venues than freds on their own. and they're lovely people, so as usual, went out of their way to help a touring band. under no circumstances am i speaking on their behalf, but an established local band can hardly be expected to cack themselves with gratitude at getting to play first in their own town. :eek: ooooh, controversial!
controversial? not really rhona. so there's obviously an issue here since you are in fact speaking on their behalf or else you're just crazy assuming they felt this way without ever having spoken to them about it.

they never said anything to me about being unhappy about going on first. lessons learned on both sides i'd say.

we had no problems going on first. it was your gig. ye were touring, so obviously we were gonna go on first. however rhona is our friend and if she thinks we're being criticised then she really shouldnt need our consent before stickin up for us.

i agree that there were lessons learned. rhona was there on sat night, and she saw that i was unhappy about things, such as not receiving replies to emails about gear and the fact that i had to put your gear onstage for you because you weren't there. im not bitching - but i dont want people thinkin rhona is some crazy lady who makes up things.

at the time i was pissed off. after finding out about the amount of people that turned it down before i was asked, i was left with the impression that i was a last resort. but it doesnt matter. shit happens.

sorry this all came out on some forum. i really dont have the energy (or temprament) for bitching matches with this kinda stuff. but i think things needed to be clarified.

Alan Remorse said:
we had no problems going on first. it was your gig. ye were touring, so obviously we were gonna go on first. however rhona is our friend and if she thinks we're being criticised then she really shouldnt need our consent before stickin up for us.
? i didn't say she needed anything but she claimed she wasn't... oh it doesn't matter.

Alan Remorse said:
i agree that there were lessons learned. rhona was there on sat night, and she saw that i was unhappy about things, such as not receiving replies to emails about gear and the fact that i had to put your gear onstage for you because you weren't there. im not bitching - but i dont want people thinkin rhona is some crazy lady who makes up things.
not receiving emails about gear? i sent an email to everyone involved in all of the gigs that none of zu's gear could be used because they're on a 2-month tour and if anything gets broken, they're fucked. putting our gear on stage? are you kidding me? the kit was already on the stage, i left it there dismantled myself. are you talking about 1 bass amp? i'm sorry you feel this way about putting an amp on to a stage.
i don't think rhona is crazy. she claimed not be be talking on your behalf but must have spoken to you about these issues or how else would she have known?

Alan Remorse said:
at the time i was pissed off. after finding out about the amount of people that turned it down before i was asked, i was left with the impression that i was a last resort. but it doesnt matter. shit happens.
what did i say the first time i contacted you? something along the lines of "i'm really fucked, i really need a date in cork. can you help out?" you were my last resort, you were usggested to me by someone when i told them i needed help with a gig in cork, the 7:10 guys suggested you. after you, i was out of options. what shit happens?

Alan Remorse said:
sorry this all came out on some forum. i really dont have the energy (or temprament) for bitching matches with this kinda stuff. but i think things needed to be clarified.
i'm not sorry anything came out. all that seems to have happened here is that you're pissed off we didn't get to see you play and that you went on first. i couldn't help not seeing you and you never mentioned anything to me about being pissed off at going on first.

argh. see, this is what i was afraid of.

honestly, we didnt care about going on first.

the only reason i said anything was cos i was afraid people would think i was making outlandish claims behind people's backs.

when i said "no worries. i did mean it when i said this wasn't an issue. just glad a crowd turned up for zu" i wasnt bullshitting

seriously, can we not let this be a big thing? it's all sorted as far as im concerned.

hagnot receiving emails about gear? i sent an email to everyone involved in all of the gigs that none of zu's gear could be used because they're on a 2-month tour and if anything gets broken, they're fucked.

this is the only group email i received:

hi all-

just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page with in relation
to the ZU shows...

giraffe running will be playing all shows except belfast. the first
priority is to make sure ZU are ok... 4 people, 3 omnivores and 1
vege. they all need a matress (AT LEAST - beds preferred) in a clean
and quiet place (house) to sleep. they are extremely nice, grounded
and sincere people... they are in the middle of a 2-month long tour
which is really gruelling so the beds/matresses are important.

giraffe running will probably fall asleep in a gutter but a couch or 2
would be great...

03/11/04 (Wed) - Belfast (The Pavillion) w. Lafaro

04/11/04 (Thurs) - Dublin (Voodoo Lounge) w. Giraffe Running, Boxes &
United Bible Studies. 6.50 euros.

05/11/04 (Fri) - Limerick (The High Stool) w. Giraffe Running & 22.

06/11/04 (Sat) - Cork (Fred Zeppelin's) w. Giraffe Running & My
Remorse.

07/11/04 (Sun) - Early Show (From 5pm): Dublin (Italian Cultural
Institute - 11 Fitzwilliam Square) featuring members of the Dublin
improvised music scene!!!

it's gonna be great! :)

thanks for all your help... some of you know this is my first thing in
a while, i got became really disillusioned about the whole thing for
lots of different reason but it means a lot to know this kind of thing
is still possible in ireland... and you've all been really cool about
doing stuff at the last minute and everything. i kiss all of you.

xxx

p.s. got lots of nice surprises coming in 2006! :)

there's no mention of gear. maybe you forgot to send that one to me?

im sorry to post this here, but again, i just dont want people thinking im making stuff up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back