COME ON IRELAND (1 Viewer)

If we fluked a win in Prague I wouldn't care what the result in Bratislava was. To my mind lose-win would be a better outcome than win-draw. If the Czechs beat us I reckon it's over (which it probably already is) unless we pull off a miracle against the Germans.

I've been thinking this aswell - tho to lose first we might take all the wind out of our sails.

On the other hand, we have been working off a abysmal performance followed by (mildly) stunning rebuke to criticism playsheet in most of our double headers.

What we must do at least is score in Prague, a 0-0 means the Czechs would beat us on away goals in a head to head if it should come to that, i.e. a 2-2 draw is better than 1-1 (cos then I think the record would go to goals difference, where they'd undoubtedly have us by not nearly drawing with San Marino like we did.)

On the other hand - 4 points and its still totalyl doable, plus the Slovaks would be out of it completely, but I think they are already even with the two SM games coming up.

I actually do think we'll beat Slovakia and as for the Czechs, I haven't a clue but if their manager is shrewd he could play cautiously cos a 0-0 is a handy result for them (although to be fair to them, they could probably beat us anyway.)

The sickener last minute equaliser to ensure a draw that feels like a defeat was absolutely inevitable, given the trends of the last 5 years.. I'm just fucking disappointed that we didn't play well at all, two good 10 minute spells in each half which both produced goals, and outside of that we just let Slovakia boss us & reverted to the chronic problems of the Kerr era- hanging back and defending way too deep, conceding the midfield, careless passing and generally throwing away posession way too easily. Doyle's goal, while it was an absolute beauty, really came out of nothing.. Outside of the 2 goals we barely created any real chances, nothing coming through from the centre except the odd long high ball. If we could get the 3 points in Prague then the result tonight isn't a killer, but the team is going to be demoralised and if we play like we did today then we're not going to win on Wednesday. The midfield was the big problem tonight - I reckon give Andy Reid a shot, possibly Hunt too (should have definately come on instead of Douglas or Gibson tonight), put Kilbane in the defence (or on the bench, as much as I admire his workrate).

put Kilbane in the defence (or on the bench, as much as I admire his workrate).

His crossing was abysmal. And those substitutions?! You have Reid do well against Denmark, then don't even bring him on... Awful stuff. So disappointing.

john oshea should be raped and killed and fed to rabid hounds. he's a cunt. fuck stan. the cunt.

He starts a left back at right back and a right back at left back. Neither are great shakes in their natural positions so Staunton in his infinite cluelessness decides to switch them.

Starting Kilbane and McGeady with Hunt & Reid on the bench

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Corky decides to hand a 19 year old his international debut. Gibson then proceeds to hand them 3 free kicks, give the ball away at crucial moments on numerous occasions and take a bunch of awfull free kicks & corners. He offered us FUCKING NOTHING.

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Corky brings on Jonathan Douglas, a man who has brought absolutely nothing to the team in any of his previous appearances.

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Stan could not even consider bringing on a defender and moving to 5-whatever-whatever because he didn't have a single defender on the bench. It's not a move I would have been happy with but at least he would have had the option.

I wouldnt mind if these choices were forced by circumstance but he had options and he ignored them. Giles made a very good point that the last time Douglas, McGeady & Kilbane were on the pittch together was against Cyprus. Staunton is playing Russian Roulette with this team and the bullet is coming on Wednesday.

I sort of regret buying tickets to al the home games now. I feel like I have somehow validated the Staunton-Delaney axis of incompetence.

It's the substitutions that rankle the most. Hair-tearing-out shit. Gah.

Gutted for Richard Dunne. Heroic showing - one of the best I've seen in an Irish defence, especially considering the three around him performed with varying degrees of shitness. Dunno why he isn't captain.

It's the substitutions that rankle the most. Hair-tearing-out shit. Gah.

Gutted for Richard Dunne. Heroic showing - one of the best I've seen in an Irish defence, especially considering the three around him performed with varying degrees of shitness. Dunno why he isn't captain.

because he isn't revered for scoring goals against shit opposition at Lansdowne Road?

He starts a left back at right back and a right back at left back. Neither are great shakes in their natural positions so Staunton in his infinite cluelessness decides to switch them.

Starting Kilbane and McGeady with Hunt & Reid on the bench

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Corky decides to hand a 19 year old his international debut. Gibson then proceeds to hand them 3 free kicks, give the ball away at crucial moments on numerous occasions and take a bunch of awfull free kicks & corners. He offered us FUCKING NOTHING.

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Corky brings on Jonathan Douglas, a man who has brought absolutely nothing to the team in any of his previous appearances.

2-1 up in a must win game away from home and Stan could not even consider bringing on a defender and moving to 5-whatever-whatever because he didn't have a single defender on the bench. It's not a move I would have been happy with but at least he would have had the option.

I wouldnt mind if these choices were forced by circumstance but he had options and he ignored them. Giles made a very good point that the last time Douglas, McGeady & Kilbane were on the pittch together was against Cyprus. Staunton is playing Russian Roulette with this team and the bullet is coming on Wednesday.

I sort of regret buying tickets to al the home games now. I feel like I have somehow validated the Staunton-Delaney axis of incompetence.

Yes.

Man, what summed it all up for me was us holding the ball up at their corner flag in the 83rd minute. FUck sake.

So, so depressing....there has been no progress in the team. Thats what kills me.

Anyone want a ticket to the Germany & Cyprus games?

Giles is spot on when he talks about "tactics rubbish". If you play yer best players in their best position its certainly more than half the battle.

Whats with the full back thing? always playing them in the wrong position. He plays stephen kelly on the left so now people reckon he is shit. John o shea would be shit on either side. Dont rate mcgeady, never have

Get ready for more of the conveyor belt of shit on Wednesday.
We now 100% need to win in Prague, and even that might not be enough.

Anyone want to stick some bets on how long it takes Stan, Giles or Houghton to start talking about 'building for the future'?

What was so frustrating was to see the sloppiness in passing. Possession would be given away, not due to pressure from the opposition, but due to a sloppy pass from lack of concentration. They'd invariably string 5 or 6 passes together before giving the ball away. The basic just aren't right. I think they have the skill to make chances and score - they just need that basic organisation and ability to retain possession. Nothing difficult. Just simple passing.

i'm still angered by this. couldn't believe the team selection. amateur night, no organisation and the basic fundamentals where shockingly bad, wingers should be at least able to cross the bleedin ball. Story!!!
come wednesday, a must win

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back