Colman's Mustard (1 Viewer)

apparently mr. colman was once asked how he made money, given people ate so little of his mustard. his response was that he made the money off what people didn't eat, rather than what they did eat.

apparently mr. colman was once asked how he made money, given people ate so little of his mustard. his response was that he made the money off what people didn't eat, rather than what they did eat.

I'd well believe it. I wonder if anyone has ever actually used a full jar before the expiry date- aside from dAndAn's Dad of course.

Soften chopped onion, garlic and chilli in a bit of olive oil, add tinned tomatoes, lots of dried or fresh herbs (about 6 tsp of whatever ones you like) and simmer. About 10 minutes before serving add a cup of rizo or other tiny pasta shape and a cup of water. Serve when the pasta has softened.
there should be a thread all these recipes are moved into.

mainly tomato i think. there'll be garlic, ginger, onions, red peppers, maybe some mushrooms and quinoa and carrot, a drop of wine maybe, whatever herby stuff is knockin about.

chillis sound like a plan. i may loose interest again before i get the shops but if not i might just get some random bits to throw in

thanks guys! mmmwah!

Sugar is what it needs.

you can add mustard to yr plateful of pea soup, at least thats what many people do

i can't stand mustard..maybe some dijon on a sandwich but thats it

If you haven't made the soup yet, really yummy and really simple soup.

Soften chopped onion, garlic and chilli in a bit of olive oil, add tinned tomatoes, lots of dried or fresh herbs (about 6 tsp of whatever ones you like) and simmer. About 10 minutes before serving add a cup of rizo or other tiny pasta shape and a cup of water. Serve when the pasta has softened.

Yum, yum!

Oh, that should have read 2 cups of water (or stock if you like, although I find the garlic, onions chili and herbs add enough flavour). And of course, salt and pepper to taste.

I finished one just last week.

You like your mustard then.

If you haven't made the soup yet, really yummy and really simple soup.

Yum, yum!
how much tinned tomatoes per average serving? ditto for the onion.

how much tinned tomatoes per average serving? ditto for the onion.

Well, made it the other night for the first time in a while - just as good as I remembered. For 2-3 large servings I used one onion, about 5 cloves of garlic, one chilli, about 6 teaspoons of dried herbs (a mix of basil, parsley, thyme and oregano last time I made it). Soften the onion, garlic and herbs in olive oil, then add tomatoes, seasoning, herbs and about 3 times as much water (or stock if you like) as you are going to add pasta and let that simmer for about 15 minutes, then add the pasta. If you want it a bit more substantial you can go 1.5 times the water to pasta. Depending on the pasta you use you need to make a judgement call on the amount of liquid to add. You could cook the pasta separately, if you do that then add the full of the tomato tin of water in with the tomatoes and add the pasta when it's cooked.

just the one tin of tomato?
can you decant some of the sauce before you add the pasta, and keep it in the fridge, i wonder?
it's just me in the house, so i'd need to use up the tin, but not be able to eat all the sauce in one go.

just the one tin of tomato?
can you decant some of the sauce before you add the pasta, and keep it in the fridge, i wonder?
it's just me in the house, so i'd need to use up the tin, but not be able to eat all the sauce in one go.

This is more of a soup than a sauce... which is why the tiny pasta shapes. The rice, little star, and alphabet shapes are great. It reheats well, but the pasta does continue to cook and fall apart a bit. If you cooked the pasta separately it might suit you better. As a main course the quantities above would be 2 servings.

This is more of a soup than a sauce... which is why the tiny pasta shapes. The rice, little star, and alphabet shapes are great. It reheats well, but the pasta does continue to cook and fall apart a bit. If you cooked the pasta separately it might suit you better. As a main course the quantities above would be 2 servings.
what i used; one onion, about six (smallish) cloves of garlic, one green chilli.
one tin of tomatoes, but i only added a tin of water, and put in one generous serving of pasta. ate just over half of it. lovely stuff.

brought back over some Dalkey Wholegrain Mustard.

My favourite mustard

A really nice salad:
Pack of mixed salad leaves
Ripe avocado, sliced or diced
pack of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, sliced

Toss that lot together then fry 2 sliced chicken breasts in olive oil until browned slightly, then add balsamic vinegar, more olive oil, honey and mustard (I like it with Dalkey most though) and heat through with the chicken. Pour chicken and warm dressing over the salad, toss and serve immediately.

My favourite mustard

A really nice salad:
Pack of mixed salad leaves
Ripe avocado, sliced or diced
pack of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, sliced

Toss that lot together then fry 2 sliced chicken breasts in olive oil until browned slightly, then add balsamic vinegar, more olive oil, honey and mustard (I like it with Dalkey most though) and heat through with the chicken. Pour chicken and warm dressing over the salad, toss and serve immediately.
everything except the avocado, oh yes!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back