Cocaine (3 Viewers)

Diversity among scientists is pretty illusionary as well.
They are only dealing with cold hard 'facts' (which themselves can change as science improves, develops and discovers more).
Science is just another tool to be used when making an argument, which when it comes down to it is all any of the disciplines are.
as flawed as some experimental theories are and there are some phenomina that physics simply cant explain, but science is what 99% of facts can bounce off.

science is factual. and yeah, things change as time moves on and we learn more about stuff (like the brain - crazy superpowers, telekinesis, levitation etc). but since thats we all we have to go on at the moment, then thats all we will. until time tells us otherwise, our theories are factual.
again, science is factual.
nonce-sense.

as regards the WS course, im not dippin me wick in that one....... (can we say that pete?)

EDIT: what moose said

Lets tackle the diversity thing first:

Nobody would do such a course if they didn't first think it worthwhile. I guarantee you that no matter how diverse a group you classmates were there was no one there who didn't share that fundamental belief. There is no way anyone who disagreed with that belief was going to bother with the course in the first place. It would be like a Richard Dawkins taking a year out to study Creationism at the Oral Roberts University.

So no matter how much diversity and exchange of ideas there was your classmates were all alike in on very major and very relevant respect. They though a year spent on a womans study MA was a year well spent.

What was the split of the class sex wise? 50/50? Was there anyone in the class who like me thinks the whole idea preposterous and stood up every day to remind you all how you were wasting you time?

Lets look at the scholarly standards bit:

While I'm sure much of what is studied in this area is valid - the areas where GS intersects with Economics and Sociology for example - there is much of it which is unadulterated nonsense.

It is what Fenynman describes as "cargo cult science". It is completely unverifiable and simply borrows the language and forms of science in order to masquerade as science.

For example take this example of Katherine Hayles discussing that queen of feminist bullshit Luce Irigaray:

The privileging of solid over fluid mechanics, and indeed the inability of science to deal with turbulent flow at all, she attributes to the association of fluidity with femininity. Whereas men have sex organs that protrude and become rigid, women have openings that leak menstrual blood and vaginal fluids. . . From this perspective it is no wonder that science has not been able to arrive at a successful model for turbulence. The problem of turbulent flow cannot be solved because the conceptions of fluids (and of women) have been formulated so as necessarily to leave unarticulated remainders.

You dont have to know much science to know that this is horseshit of the highest order yet despite this Irigaray remains well respected in femininst circles. Why?

Like I say Irigaray use the language of science but it is jut camouflage nothing more. It is not science or truth or even a rummage in the neighborhood of truth.

Now I might be wrong and you might have more sense than to believe crap like this but lets be honest any discipline that accepts this kind of gibberish is deeply suspect.

hmmm

Nobody would quote richard feynman if they didn't like physics, which they wouldn't choose to study if they didn't first think it worthwhile. I guarantee you that no matter how diverse a group you classmates were there was no one there who didn't share that fundamental belief. There is no way anyone who disagreed with that belief was going to bother with the course in the first place. It would be like a Richard Dawkins taking a year out to study Creationism at the Oral Roberts University.

So no matter how much diversity and exchange of ideas there was your classmates were all alike in on very major and very relevant respect. They though a year spent on a physics Msci was a year well spent.

What was the split of the class sex wise? 50/50? Was there anyone in the class who like me thinks the whole idea preposterous and stood up every day to remind you all how you were wasting you time?

While I'm sure much of what is studied in this area is valid - the areas where quantum physics intersects with Economics and Sociology for example - there is much of it which is unadulterated nonsense.

It is what Fenynman describes as [video=google;8777381378502286852]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8777381378502286852[/video]. It is completely unverifiable and simply borrows the language and forms of science in order to masquerade as science.

For example take this example of Morman Nailer discussing that queen of feminist bullshit Luce Irigaray:

People who study Women's Studies have never been challenged by their classmates in the same way I have. Therefore, I do not have to take their opinions seriously. I have a pseudo-scientific reason to hold scientific rigour as the gold standard of logic, and therefore I can rationally preclude the possibility that I might learn something new from anyone who thinks differently.

You dont have to know much science to know that this is horseshit of the highest order yet despite this Nailer remains well respected in repping circles. Why?

Like I say Nailer use the language of science but it is jut camouflage nothing more. It is not science or truth or even a rummage in the neighborhood of truth.

Now I might be wrong and you might have more sense than to believe crap like this but lets be honest any poster that accepts this kind of gibberish is deeply suspect.

EDIT: what moose said

I can go along with that.

but my point was if you're studying womens studies you have the basis of women's studies to build from and if you study science you have the basis of science to build from. None is any more illusonary than the other.

edit: (see post above)

hmmm

Nobody would quote richard feynman if they didn't like physics, which they wouldn't choose to study if they didn't first think it worthwhile. I guarantee you that no matter how diverse a group you classmates were there was no one there who didn't share that fundamental belief. There is no way anyone who disagreed with that belief was going to bother with the course in the first place. It would be like a Richard Dawkins taking a year out to study Creationism at the Oral Roberts University.

So no matter how much diversity and exchange of ideas there was your classmates were all alike in on very major and very relevant respect. They though a year spent on a physics Msci was a year well spent.

While I'm sure much of what is studied in this area is valid - the areas where quantum physics intersects with Economics and Sociology for example - there is much of it which is unadulterated nonsense.

It is what Fenynman describes as "cargo cult science". It is completely unverifiable and simply borrows the language and forms of science in order to masquerade as science.

For example take this example of Morman Nailer discussing that queen of feminist bullshit Luce Irigaray:

People who study Women's Studies have never been challenged by their classmates in the same way I have. Therefore, I do not have to take their opinions seriously. I have a pseudo-scientific reason to hold scientific rigour as the gold standard of logic, and therefore I can rationally preclude the possibility that I might learn something new from anyone who thinks differently.

You dont have to know much science to know that this is horseshit of the highest order yet despite this Nailer remains well respected in repping circles. Why?

Like I say Nailer use the language of science but it is jut camouflage nothing more. It is not science or truth or even a rummage in the neighborhood of truth.

Now I might be wrong and you might have more sense than to believe crap like this but lets be honest any poster that accepts this kind of gibberish is deeply suspect.

As long as you agree Luce Irigaray is bullshit I'm happy

This wasn't about sexism it was about science vs. not science.

and without rep I have lost any incentive to argue either way to be honest

This wasn't about sexism it was about science vs. not science.

and without rep I have lost any incentive to argue either way to be honest

Well its off topic I'm just saying its getting abit annoying the way a similiar debate seems to be dominating alot of threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back