Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (1 Viewer)

I was at a conference the last two days where they swapped out most of the usual meat-based lunch options for vegetarian/vegan options. It was fine but clearly something didn’t agree with me because my stomach is in bits today.
Was it processed food?
I eat rice milk, bread, fruit juice and oatmeal on that front but of those only oatmeal every day.
EDITED

I sometimes managed to avoid getting in a car for 2-3 months until Bus Eireann and Kavanagh's completely took away regular bus services from my village.
Last time I went to Dublin (90+ miles) by car was 2014.

I haven't gone on holiday since 1993 and have never flown.
Also just completed 30 years as a vegan.

But since 1993 I have bought a colossal amount of things through the mail and the vast majority of it came from abroad by air.

Yeah - individual lifestyle choices don't make a big difference in the face of rampant capitalism.

Was it processed food?
I eat rice milk, bread, fruit juice and oatmeal on that front but of those only oatmeal every day.
EDITED
It was, cheap deep fried frozen falafel, samosas and spring rolls. I love all those things but not these ones - started getting indigestion almost immediately.

It was, cheap deep fried frozen falafel, samosas and spring rolls. I love all those things but not these ones - started getting indigestion almost immediately.
I ate falafel once and thought ''How could someone do this to lovely chick peas?!''

I never ate any of the the vegan processed food that came on the market after veganism got popular circa 2014. I got by without it for long enough.

Deep fried is more or less guaranteed indigestion for me regardless of what went in the fryer.
After that I'd be suspecting preservative of the spring rolls had a sauce in them

I’m usually ok with deep fried but I don’t eat much of it these days. I like to make my own falafels at home and just shallow fry them for a couple of minutes and stick them in the oven for a bit. @nuke terrorist I know you like your food plain but a good falafel is godly for me. This was far from god.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Greece getting a bad time.

The floods in Spain too were intense.

I ate falafel once and thought ''How could someone do this to lovely chick peas?!''

I never ate any of the the vegan processed food that came on the market after veganism got popular circa 2014. I got by without it for long enough.
ah here. Good falafel is really good. I'd never heard of the stuff before I left Ireland, and I was firing it into myself almost every lunch when I first moved to NYC. The little places in the Village, Mamoons (?) and them lads, were lovely. I think they were two bucks a pop which appealed to my broke self too.

These boys. Although there were a few of them and they were all ~same.

ah here. Good falafel is really good. I'd never heard of the stuff before I left Ireland, and I was firing it into myself almost every lunch when I first moved to NYC. The little places in the Village, Mamoons (?) and them lads, were lovely. I think they were two bucks a pop which appealed to my broke self too.

These boys. Although there were a few of them and they were all ~same.
The best falafel in Dublin are some lads in a van that do the food markets. The problem is that there are two regular falafel vans and one is very good and the other is transcendental and I’m so high on chickpea that I can never remember which is which.

has anyone ever done research into the GHG effects of the logistics of online shopping?
i just had two drill bits delivered to the house (in stupidly excessive packaging). but how would having it delivered to my house compare with me having driven to a shop to buy them?
i guess i simply wouldn't have bought them if i'd had to drive to get them (and these came from monaghan),

but a more easily quantifiable example might be getting shopping delivered from tesco - i suspect there's a case to be made that a delivery van calling to 20 houses is more efficient than 20 return trips in cars from the shop?

i'm not talking about the effect that online shopping might have in people simply buying more shit, that's a different effect.

has anyone ever done research into the GHG effects of the logistics of online shopping?
i just had two drill bits delivered to the house (in stupidly excessive packaging). but how would having it delivered to my house compare with me having driven to a shop to buy them?
i guess i simply wouldn't have bought them if i'd had to drive to get them (and these came from monaghan),

but a more easily quantifiable example might be getting shopping delivered from tesco - i suspect there's a case to be made that a delivery van calling to 20 houses is more efficient than 20 return trips in cars from the shop?

i'm not talking about the effect that online shopping might have in people simply buying more shit, that's a different effect.

I think you'd probably need to separate it by

a) things that could be obtained in person in your locality
b) things that could only be obtained online

forgetting about the 'do you really need this' argument - you'd only be able to make an individual comparison on a). (and that's presuming the alternative is car trip)!

i have my poor wife's head melted wandering up to capel street for me, to goughs, mcquillans, and lenehans.
she's been in the latter twice for me and both times said the staff were remarkably rude and/or useless.

unfortunately i've had to buy online from lenehans, as they stock stuff online (but not in their shop) which is hard to find elsewhere.

i have my poor wife's head melted wandering up to capel street for me, to goughs, mcquillans, and lenehans.
she's been in the latter twice for me and both times said the staff were remarkably rude and/or useless.

unfortunately i've had to buy online from lenehans, as they stock stuff online (but not in their shop) which is hard to find elsewhere.

yeah, lenehans is my shop of last resort.

I would say, transport emissions on something from say the carpentry store in navan would be less (where you'd have a reasonable drive), but obviously much more packaging.

I'd say Tesco/Dunnes deliveries probably do cut down on emissions - I expect most weekly-shops done by families involve a car journey otherwise

I'd say Tesco/Dunnes deliveries probably do cut down on emissions - I expect most weekly-shops done by families involve a car journey otherwise

I was in the local Tesco this week doing a job as there's a cafe opening there. Had to park in the back so I wasn't dragging ladders and toolboxes through the shopping part. FWIW all the delivery vans were EVs.

Is the question net or gross so to speak?

If you can get it second hand on ebay / car boot sale removing the manufacturing footprint of something thats been made of steel with more than one finishing process it might outweigh how it's packaged/delivered in footprint with the right delivery options.

An post will drive past your house every day anyways so delivery could be approaching zero while a courier is gonna add it to an order list of drops that didn't exist before and courier is time poor and will fucking cane that mercedes sprinter to death if they have to, the post van wont. Theres a possibility the courier getting their 18-20 mpg plus wear might be an environmental loss compared to you driving somewhere within a few km.

I think the tesco thing is exponentional. 20 cars go to the shop = 20 car tailback at the traffic lights in very vague terms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back