Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (1 Viewer)

i've had flights moved around because of lack of demand. and yes, one person not booking a flight will hardly change it, but that's also like saying 'that TV production line was going to churn out 2,000 tellys that day regardless of whether i bought one or not'

Last edited:
Hey I’m not under any illusion that my personal ethical choices have any direct impact.
I was being facetious..
Aggregate demand and all though.. you get enough people questioning whether eating meet 14 meals a week, taking 4 leisure flights a year, is a good idea it will have an impact

i would be 50/50 certain that if there's a big enough conference on in uruguay, whether people decide to attend virtually or in person *could* make a difference to a plane flying.

TV's are kinda a barcode economy though? You buy one and the barcode tells the stock database that they might need another one and that is reflected in orders to the wholesaler and all that.

I was dabbling in CSO and Teageasc Data around beef anywhooooo

Teageasc are saying 10% of Irish beef is for the Irish market.
Meanwhile in Ireland - Beef and veal make up 21% of consumption
And around 38% of GHG's are agriculture in Ireland.

So those who do eat beef, if they ate it half as much as they do in Ireland that would knock approaching 2% off our GHGs.

I'm looking at these things in the context of telling someone 'that was your last burger you'll ever eat' being wildly unpopular while saying, have a burger but make it an occasional treat rather than a defacto fuction of having a pint being a bit more palatable.

If @egg_ goes to Uraguay I'd fully support a lifetime ban from thumped.

Realistically though theres people i know and easily all of them are on their 5th - 6th not work/family/wedding flight of the year by now. At least one trip was skiiing in one of the places where there isn't actually snow any more and they use those machines to make snow and one of last years trips was heli-skiing. i.e. if you want to get up the slope there is an actual helicopter involved. If you want to shave 5-10% off transport emissions, to my eye, thats where you start - they (the proverbial they, there are a lot of people with this lifestyle) are living with a carbon print of about 5 people per person.

My own at present is about 80% of an americans persons one.

i would be 50/50 certain that if there's a big enough conference on in uruguay, whether people decide to attend virtually or in person *could* make a difference to a plane flying.

I often find myself in an interesting dilemma - fundamentally, where I work is very much focused on doing good, and supporting and developing leaders globally who are creating change and fighting inequities in their own contexts. And to a large extent, there's lots of success there.

But its operating model effectively involves flying large numbers (30-50) of people long distances on a regular (2-3 times a year), not to mention more project specific travel involving 2-3 people. Some of this is justifiable in the context of f-2-f being important, but a lot is excessive and unnecessary.

Environmental sustainability is barely raised in the high level considerations on this - even in a recent PESTLE/SWOT we conducted I was the only one of 30 mid-senior respondents who raised it as an issue.

I was at a conference the last two days where they swapped out most of the usual meat-based lunch options for vegetarian/vegan options. It was fine but clearly something didn’t agree with me because my stomach is in bits today.

that newish opinion writer the irish times got in (maybe as a foil to una mullally) wrote a piece this morning in defence of ryanair. one thing i have often wondered about ryanair, how much extra (or possibly less!) fuel do their 737s burn on short hops that other operators use turboprops on?
i once flew to bristol, probably stobart operating it for aer lingus, on a turboprop. the alternative was a ryanair 737 - surely a 737 barely even makes it to cruising altitude, which is where a jet gets to be most efficient?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back