Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

I thought that article was kinda illuminating - a bit like the walking versus driving calculation above

You think you're doing the climate a favour by growing your own veg, but you're not necessarily. When we built our (pretty big) raised beds we bought wood for them, plus put in a load of drains which meant a mini-digger and a couple of lorryloads of gravel. Also we have a polytunnel and a fruit cage. That's a lot of infrastructure

I kinda feel like you guys would actually remove a lot of food miles over time though, rather than like someone getting a lockdown project polytunnel that is now in a skip. I've a notion ye's are vegetarian to start with which could be wrong?

I kinda feel like you guys would actually remove a lot of food miles over time though, rather than like someone getting a lockdown project polytunnel that is now in a skip. I've a notion ye's are vegetarian to start with which could be wrong?
Ah yeah, ours is very much a long-term thing - Mrs. egg_ started off growing strawberries in our tiny backyard when we lived in Dublin in ~2000-2001, and has expanded from there. For the last 7 or 8 years we have more or less all our veg (and we eat an awful lot of veg) for a few months a year, plus some fruit and some things (like spuds) year-round ... though last summer was pretty terrible with all the rain. Kids were veggie for a while so we all were, but these days we eat a small bit of meat - once a week or fortnight-ish

I mean like granted theres a carbon cost there to setup - but i have neighbours that have patios the size of houses that they use three days a year, so while carbon counting someones vegetable project has some merit, in the scheme of lifestyles in Ireland it's 1000 times better use of the space than the LED uplit sim city shit i live next door to.

I mean like granted theres a carbon cost there to setup - but i have neighbours that have patios the size of houses that they use three days a year, so while carbon counting someones vegetable project has some merit, in the scheme of lifestyles in Ireland it's 1000 times better use of the space than the LED uplit sim city shit i live next door to.
yeah, i had the same thought; the sort of people who grow their own veg would count gardening as a hobby very often, so you could 'offset' their CO2 from gardening against what their alternative hobby might otherwise be, even if it's non-food gardening.

in a sense, it's a hobby which inefficiently offsets CO2 compared to another hypothetical hobby which makes no attempt to offset CO2.

Kinda surprised at how little coverage the issues farmers are having with recent weather is getting. Apparently we're in for big price hikes because farmers simply haven't been able to farm for months.

During the fodder crisis about 10 years ago, the suicide rates where we lived went up. It bankrupted some people and was just generally a shit time to be a farmer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back