cars - who owns one? (1 Viewer)

1998 Ford Mondeo 1.6 litre.

I don't use it for work, mainly for outings at the weekend and for travelling home (Cork to Sligo is 7 hours by public transport, 4.5 hours by car). I'm expecting a guilt trip here.

Incidentally, myself and the missus went to the Jameson Experience in Midleton on Friday last. I thought about driving but reckoned it was only 30 mins on the bus and I was also aware that i'd be doing some delicious whiskey tasting. The bus on the way out was 15 mins late arriving. On the way back we were an hour at the stop before it came. I thought things had improved in recent times...obviously not.

I drive this:
CB4_1302996_2_1138657.jpg

i drive a 1.4l 02 skoda fabia, I love it, i go everywhere in it, even to the shop at the end of the road, it cuts a ~45min walk to work down to ten minutes, and it's economical enough to run.

Deawoo tacuma 1.8, big ol' family car.
my sister cant drive and i have her kids for a while most days, so i needed something that'd fit 3 kids seats. far too big for just the two of us but i feel a hell of a lot safer in it then i did with my old fiat punto.

I own one, why?

herself really needs one for work (not commuting but essential but occasional use) and having resisted owning one on political/socio/environmental/practical grounds for a long time this is a bit of a step out of the norm.

and I'm wondering what peoples experiences are of buying cars these days.

for example -

The price of new cars over here has dropped massively but the prices of used cars that are small/efficient etc are staying the same or going up.

there is a small car we were looking at and the used 2006 17,000 miles version is 4 grand but the new 2009 version has dropped by £2500 and is only one grand more than the used one.

do we pay more?

I feel unwell even talking about this :)

Cars are much cheaper at the moment. I bought mine over a year ago in the UK and got a great deal. I got a 1.4 Peugeot 206 with only 39k miles for £2200 only cost me 750euro import so overall saved about a grand euro. Plus the car was in great condition. I think pretty much everyone I know buying a car lately has gone north. There's a revenue calculator below to see how much the difference to bring it in will be
https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland
Matana Roberts (Constellation Records) with special guest Sean Clancy
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back