Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

My brother has been putting his leisure time to good use... he can now play a seriously good Roy Bittan-esque version of Backstreets on the piano. Sounds fucking deadly.

My brother has been putting his leisure time to good use... he can now play a seriously good Roy Bittan-esque version of Backstreets on the piano. Sounds fucking deadly.

I worked on a version of Growin' Up based around this last night ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Also working on a loopstation arrangement for something off of Nebraska for the next gig.

I worked on a version of Growin' Up based around this last night ...

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - Growing up (Max's Kansas City, NY 1972)

Also working on a loopstation arrangement for something off of Nebraska for the next gig.

I think my bro is working off either a youtube clip of some guy playing it, or just listening to the Born To Run box set repeatedly. All them songs were written on piano, which surprised me.

Actually just found it - I think its this:
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm0PZzpKrTE

Reet...make a li'l room in yer Bruce-love-in...

I've always kept a familiar and respectable distance from 'The Boss', mainly coz he's called 'The Boss' but i've just listened to Working On A Dream...it's the first Springsteen album I've ever listened to start to finish..or at all!

The absence of bullshit is inspiring and is overshadowed only by the positive physical effect the songs and production had on me as I cycled, then walked down Capel Street...I forgot how much I like Capel Street...thanks to Jane for blabbling on about the album on her 'A Thread Of Nice Things' thread...I'll be immersed in this album for the wknd.

The Boss indeed

Reet...make a li'l room in yer Bruce-love-in...

I've always kept a familiar and respectable distance from 'The Boss', mainly coz he's called 'The Boss' but i've just listened to Working On A Dream...it's the first Springsteen album I've ever listened to start to finish..or at all!

The absence of bullshit is inspiring and is overshadowed only by the positive physical effect the songs and production had on me as I cycled, then walked down Capel Street...I forgot how much I like Capel Street...thanks to Jane for blabbling on about the album on her 'A Thread Of Nice Things' thread...I'll be immersed in this album for the wknd.

The Boss indeed

YAY! Yeah, it's funny because I kept a bit of distance from The Boss for a while as well. I mean, my first epiphany when it came to music was brought on by Dancing in the Dark, which is by no means his best tune. It was just when I realised that there was a lot more to making music than the rest of the shite on the radio would suggest.

But it was only until much later that I realised exactly what you're saying: when I was 8, and I first heard him, it was probably the absence of bullshit that was part of why it struck me. Kids are really good at appreciating a lack of bullshit, and of a simplicity that comes from just being really well-crafted and well-delivered, not necessarily complicated or high-minded. Even though as a lyricist he's incredibly gifted.

Definitely I couldn't connect someone's popularity with also being amazing because I'm a fucking cynic, and I feel like anything liked by so many people has to be watered down. But Bruce is different I think. Not everyone loves him, I know, but I think he's testament to the fact that even lazy people recognise good shit when it's presented to them.

The process of rediscovery has been amazing, and probably why I have the zeal of a convert. The physical effect is insane. I'm reading this book called This Is Your Brain on Music, mostly because I just want to find out how a neuropsychologist would explain why I can like one band very much, and enjoy them and be able to explain to myself why I do, and I listen to Bruce, and I just can't explain why I'm fucking totally psyched up for 'Born To Run', no matter how many times I hear it.

The Last Carnival (the last track before The Wrestler) sounds like a sequel to Wild Billy's Circus Story (which gave me another mind-blowing, if less easily defined epiphany the first time I heard it), so I played the two back-to-back, and they're just so very different, but both so unmistakably Bruce. His new stuff isn't trying to reach back to his earlier material and reproduce a 'hit' along the same lines. The reference is there, but the difference is far more striking.

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE!

YAY! Milker! I'm so glad you like the album. It's always nice to rediscover someone you weren't sure you'd like, especially when they have a fucking gigantic back catalogue. I recommend The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle. It's probably my favourite album.

Now back to my ALL BRUCE AFTERNOON. YAY!

Fuck it.
GA

GA. If you're seated you could be miles away.

I was standing outside the RDS last year, just below the wall where people were sitting (well, on the other side of the road). I could see pretty much the same thing that some of those people were seeing, and they paid shiteloads for their tickets.

Don't have money to get tickets.

CRAI.

I'm sure people will be selling them after it sells out as usual, though. Last year I was similarly broke and they went on sale around the same time, and we ended up getting tickets.

I'm hoping this because the alternative will make me cry.

GA. If you're seated you could be miles away.

I was standing outside the RDS last year, just below the wall where people were sitting (well, on the other side of the road). I could see pretty much the same thing that some of those people were seeing, and they paid shiteloads for their tickets.

Don't have money to get tickets.

CRAI.

I'm sure people will be selling them after it sells out as usual, though. Last year I was similarly broke and they went on sale around the same time, and we ended up getting tickets.

I'm hoping this because the alternative will make me cry.

Last year I sat on the canal wall and listened to it for free. Couldn't see anything but I figure even if I had bought a ticket for 90 euro, I wouldn't have seen much anyway. Seriously, it was clear as day. If you don't get a ticket you can sit next to me and share my cans.

hey you know there was an interview with bruce on bbc2 last week where he was talking about songwriting secrets,,

if you are in ireland you are not allowed download the programs from bbc website, but i asked my mate johnny to download it (he lives in london) and he did!

here's the link

https://download.yousendit.com/bVlDcXlsT016NFBIRGc9PQ

ooh very exciting altogether

Fuck Fuck fuck.

When are these so called extra dates that will probably happen going on sale?

My dad and I were supposed to go to the gig last May but he had to go in for a shoulder op last week so I really wanted to take him this year. He got me into Bruce (and by entension music) when I was a kid and took me to see him in 93 and whenever the first tour back with the e-streeters was so I wanted to repay the favour.

Shit.

Fuck Fuck fuck.

When are these so called extra dates that will probably happen going on sale?

My dad and I were supposed to go to the gig last May but he had to go in for a shoulder op last week so I really wanted to take him this year. He got me into Bruce (and by entension music) when I was a kid and took me to see him in 93 and whenever the first tour back with the e-streeters was so I wanted to repay the favour.

Shit.

Sentiment counts for nothing in stadium rock!

i read that that ticketmaster try and put expensive tickets on sale at the end of a month around the time many people get paid and if possible Friday morning for the people that are paid weekly....

I managed to get 4 tickets for saturday through my phone.

Went into a panic at 8.58 when i saw that ticketmaster.ie was now blocked in work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back