Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (5 Viewers)

why is he called the boss?

I heard it started as a piss take. The rest of the band called him the boss coz he told them what to do and looked after the money end of things.

!ninjaaaa

Sounds like this was good. Saw him last time and I thought the same about the accent thing, not just when saying Dublin either. Fair enough I suppose, he's trying to communicate.

86 quid in 2012 3rd world Ireland. Hmmm. I love Bruce but 86 quid for anything short of feeding the family will be hard to justify

I hate that kind of talk, gig tickets are a luxury item and they always have been. There's a regular bunch of whinging shits on OTR whenever a big show gets announced. If people think that things they'd like to have but don't need are too dear then simply don'y buy the thing.

86 quid for MCD of Aiken or whoever is putting it on more like.
The same concert is probably like 40 quid in France or some shit.

I think it works out about €55 in Manchester, RDS will be the smallest location on the tour and I assume that he wants the same guaruntee for every gig.

I hate that kind of talk, gig tickets are a luxury item and they always have been. There's a regular bunch of whinging shits on OTR whenever a big show gets announced. If people think that things they'd like to have but don't need are too dear then simply don'y buy the thing.

I disagree. If you're not happy about something you should say so.

But I do agree about gig tickets being a luxury item. I was at a good few of the gigs he played here in the last few years. A good chunk of the crowd was comprised of foreigners, and I got the impression that they were ones who travelled here for the gig (as opposed to living here). I genuinely think they'll struggle to fill this, let alone announce a 2nd or 3rd night.

I think I will be giving it a miss, as much as I love Bruce.

€86 for any gig ticket is nonsense. Is it not sensible that the price for tickets should come down the bigger the venue and the greater the number of people who buy tickets, the worse the value for money you get in terms of sound, view etc? You'd think there'd be economies of scale at play with these big gigs that would allow prices to come down for big gigs rather than go up as they do.

I disagree. If you're not happy about something you should say so.

The best way to register your displeasure is to not fork over the cash though, I suppose my main problem is the people who complain and then still buy the ticket.

€86 for any gig ticket is nonsense. Is it not sensible that the price for tickets should come down the bigger the venue and the greater the number of people who buy tickets, the worse the value for money you get in terms of sound, view etc? You'd think there'd be economies of scale at play with these big gigs that would allow prices to come down for big gigs rather than go up as they do.

I don't think it's simply an issue of economies of scale, you're building a stage for a once off event, you need PA, there's far more involved in terms of staffing an event the larger it gets, you have to pay for the cops etc. Even on a smaller scale, Whelan's main venue is *about* a third of the capacity of Vicar St but it costs way more than than 3 times the rental for Whelan's to book Vicar St.

I'd pay 86 to see Springsteen in Vicar Street .... Actually I'd probably 186, but the RDS? I'm with Diarmuid on that one ... You'd want to be paying me.

The best way to register your displeasure is to not fork over the cash though, I suppose my main problem is the people who complain and then still buy the ticket.

right, acknowledged. But you know yourself though, coming up to the event the compulsion to just go can be overwhelming and can make one purchase a ticket and attend despite one's misgivings. I would not be surprised if this happens me.

I don't think it's simply an issue of economies of scale, you're building a stage for a once off event, you need PA, there's far more involved in terms of staffing an event the larger it gets, you have to pay for the cops etc. Even on a smaller scale, Whelan's main venue is *about* a third of the capacity of Vicar St but it costs way more than than 3 times the rental for Whelan's to book Vicar St.

I think they keep costs in the back of their mind for sure but ultimately they'll charge as much as they feel they can get away with.

Case in point, The Eagles. They reformed and played a couple of gigs here in the RDS. Initially they were playing gigs everywhere but it eventually got so as they were only playing Ireland and maybe one or two other places. Ticket prices were exorbitant (IMO) but they still filled the place a couple of times. But, finally people just got a bit sick of the whole thing and they ended up having to cancel a gig due to poor ticket sales. I'd hate to think of something like that happening with Bruce as it could put him off ever wanting to play here again (though thats unlikely I admit).

Actually I must check my ticket stubs from the previous gigs. I think the price for next years gig might even be dearer. I recall having a seated ticket one year for around 85 euro, and the standing tickets for the same gig being a little cheaper.

And one other thing. Its well and good announcing these gigs as far in advance as they do. On the one hand it gives people a chance to save or plan finances for going (cos lets face it, a day out at a gig like this will cost a lot more than the price of the ticket). Conversely though, its highly likely that uptake will be poor in the early stages. Perhaps other than a minor spike from people buying tickets as christmas presents. I see now where is possible to avail of an installment payment plan for Electric Picnic tickets. Maybe it'd be an idea for promoters to put something in place for all gigs that have a cover charge of more than, say, 60 euro.

We're really gonna get fucked with this budget next week (especially if you own a car), so money for luxury items such as springsteen tickets is, by in large, going to be a lot less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back