Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (2 Viewers)

mackle

springsteen_bruce.jpg

Why did it take me until recently to realise how amazing he is!

I have Born to Run, Greetings from Asburry Park, Nebraska and The Rising. What should I get next considering Greetings from Asbury Park is my favourite.

Any lucky fucks here get a ticket for his gigs?

Re: Bruce Springsteen apprecication thread

Funny, I was going to start a Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread the other day. ARE YOU ME, MACKLE?

First of all, I don't really do celebrity crushes, but Bruce is not a celebrity, he's THE BOSS, and holy christ, is he the fucking dreamiest motherfucker in south Jersey. Apart from a very strange crush on Sean Cassidy, Bruce was my first real childhood crush. In fact, I think it's fair to say that he was my childhood imaginary boyfriend. And he still is, which means that my crush on him extends only to wanting to kiss him on the cheek and maybe get some ice cream or play on the swings.

I just bought Darkness on the Edge of Town about a month ago, and HOLY SHIT. I also found myself staring at the picture of him on it, and drooling a just a tiny bit. You should get that one -- Candy's Room is definitely one of the most intense songs ever. Just make sure the copy you get doesn't have my dribble on it.

Bruce. I love Bruce. Everyone loves Bruce. How could you NOT love Bruce?

bruceNewsImage_alt.jpg

i only really know him from his cameo in the rodney dangerfield movie 'back to school' - what albums are worth checkving out guys?

GORILLAMUNCH said:
i only really know him from his cameo in the rodney dangerfield movie 'back to school' - what albums are worth checkving out guys?

Obviously, Born to Run , Born in the USA (an album I quickly wore out from overuse), are amazing. I'm not so into his later stuff, though what I've heard from the Seeger Sessions album sounds pretty excellent. I hate myself for being one of those people who says, "I'm not into the later stuff," but like, it's true. It just doesn't do the same thing to me.

Darkness on the Edge of Town is really amazing. It's very unlike radio-hit Bruce (which is also amazing, mind), and sometimes painfully raw, but not in an overly sappy way that makes you want to barf.

Nebraska is a series of sort of narrative ballads, and pretty fucking intense, considering how young he was when he wrote it. Not hard-rockin or booty-shakin like Born to Run or Badlands, but in the same vein as Darkness, only more raw.

Listening to Bruce is like going on a date with the cool kid in school. Or like what I imagined going on a date with the cool kid in school would have been like. Or what I imagined going on a date might be like.

Sigh. I'll get me glasses.

Once did Born To Run on karaoke in yonder place on the same street as lots of places! em Fallon and /byrne?

Anyway, the accompanying graphic that went with the lyrics on the little TV, was a labrador puppy escapade, very 80's! It was even too funny to be able to sing to...A big fluffball leaping through fields and such...tearing it!!

Everytime I hear that song, its 'Run Pup Run' and a fit of giggles :D

dowel said:
Once did Born To Run on karaoke in yonder place on the same street as lots of places! em Fallon and /byrne?

Anyway, the accompanying graphic that went with the lyrics on the little TV, was a labrador puppy escapade, very 80's! It was even too funny to be able to sing to...A big fluffball leaping through fields and such...tearing it!!

Everytime I hear that song, its 'Run Pup Run' and a fit of giggles :D

Oh! I've been to that karaoke place! The one with the little rooms downstairs where you can go mental in front of just your friends? I did "Send in the Clowns", and was rather miffed to see that the video for the song was so compellingly awful (involving a woman putting on her clown makeup while flashing back to her bad relationship shit, and finishing with her made up as a sad clown), that it badly detracted from the stunning interpretative dance I was doing as I belted out the song like I was some kinda meth-ridden Broadway Superstar.

But Bruce+puppies? CRITICAL MASS OF CUTENESS AND AWESOMENESS.

tunnel of love is deadly, i love it. ghots of tom joad is also pretty good for later stuff, and his last few albums have all had a few great tunes on them (although the seeger sessions is so bad i find myself reconsidering my status as a springsteen fan...)

When i was first getting into Bruce a friend suggested this album and i absolutely love it. It's a triple cd box set of his life stuff from 1975-1985. It even has his classic version of Tom Wait's Jersey Girl :) .|..|

jane said:
Oh! I've been to that karaoke place! The one with the little rooms downstairs where you can go mental in front of just your friends? I did "Send in the Clowns", and was rather miffed to see that the video for the song was so compellingly awful (involving a woman putting on her clown makeup while flashing back to her bad relationship shit, and finishing with her made up as a sad clown), that it badly detracted from the stunning interpretative dance I was doing as I belted out the song like I was some kinda meth-ridden Broadway Superstar.

But Bruce+puppies? CRITICAL MASS OF CUTENESS AND AWESOMENESS.
:) The video for 'Paint it black' was a teletext style basic graphic fade in-fade out montage of leather pant clad crotches and fret boards and pouts.
What to do in a tiny room during an extended instrumental section that you're suppossed to be singing to..? Mosh and headbang like an eejit! Thankfully it wasn't just me, there were two of us eejits.
Can't wait to go back!

THE BOSS.

RULES.

LAST GIG IN DUBLIN HE WORE LIGHT GREY TROUSERS. BAD MOVE WHEN YOU SEE THE BIG SWEATY HOLE ON HIM AT THE END OF THE GIG. GOOD MOVE IF YOU RESPECT A HARD WORKIN' BEAST OF A MOVER.

THAT MAN WAS BORN TO
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!

Greetings from Asbury Park and Born To Run are good starting points.
And this. I fucking love this one: The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002513/?tag=thumpedcom-20

As you can see, available from Amazon…
…or Bit Torrent.

Though, if you were starting, I’d definitely go with Born To Run. If you don’t like that album, don’t bother…..

No idea what album it's from or where I got it, but there's an acoustic version of Dancing in the Dark lurking around my collection. iTunes tells me it's been played 72 times. Oops.

Fucking awesome guy though. Everything is so intense, it makes me wonder how he doesn't have an aneurysm during every set.

go for The Wild, The Innocent And The E Street Shuffle
then
Darkness On The Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhgggggggggggggggggggggeeeeeeeee Of Town.
next

The River, Lucky Town and Human Touch are my least favourite but they all have some good tunes on them.

The Live in NYC double CD is great.

That last show was tainted for me as the girls I was with spent the 3 hours talking about Bruces jeans and how "he can fairly move for a man his age, mmmm!" Thanks Bruce.

I have the Seeger Sessions and the Devils and Dust gigs from The Point on my computer here. If anyone wants, let me know. And also tell me how I'm sposed to get them to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back