Bruce Springsteen appreciation thread (1 Viewer)

Sorry, it's just for Bruce. Hell, look at the cover of Darkness. You would, like.

Maybe your cousins could find some kind of charity kissing booth? Actually, the one on the left, if you scrubbed him up a little and gave him some car keys to jingle, he might do okay at the Wesley disco or McGowans.

yeah, that guy is the image of me and I usually do well in those places.

the other guy used to play rugby for England. His name is Martin Johnston

i got me a ticket for tonight. i was a little apprehensive about it at first because i only really know his greatest hits, and nebraska and the ghost of tom joad. and the river maybe from when i was a kid. so with all the stuff he has to draw from i'm afraid i'll be a bit lost. but then everyone seems to say it was amazing so i got me a ticket for tonight.
deadly.

I enjoyed last night. I can't say I'm a huge Bruce fan - I don't see what the fuss is sometimes but you have to admire how absolutely every demographic loves him.

3 hours was a bit of a marathon too - especially as I was in the stand and fucking freezing.

Highlight of the night for me was Atlantic City. I like the Bruce songs with a bit of bite, I find a lot of them, especially the rock workouts, a bit empty. I was thinking for some of it last night - this is great but are they really just the world bests wedding band?

I enjoyed last night. I can't say I'm a huge Bruce fan - I don't see what the fuss is sometimes but you have to admire how absolutely every demographic loves him.

3 hours was a bit of a marathon too - especially as I was in the stand and fucking freezing.

Highlight of the night for me was Atlantic City. I like the Bruce songs with a bit of bite, I find a lot of them, especially the rock workouts, a bit empty. I was thinking for some of it last night - this is great but are they really just the world bests wedding band?

I think in a way 'world's best wedding band' is kind of dead-on. The fact that I know more people who had Bruce as a first dance at their wedding than any other song (warning: results may be skewed by the number of other Bruce fans I'm mates with) is probably no coincidence. They're a band that have an effect on people that is outside of any particular genre, and I think that's pretty huge, and incredibly difficult to do. Most people just come off sounding corny, but Bruce manages to tease the cheese without sounding like he's playing a special event set.

It's also something kind of particular to a type of Americana that is a bit like the stevedores in season 2 of the Wire. Even if you never worked on the docks, or you've never actually witnessed the post-apocalyptic landscape of Asbury Park (the most depressing place I've ever been except for Youghal), everyone relates to a little bit of disaffectedness. And then he does it in a party atmosphere so it feels like some kind of group catharsis, and treats the whole audience like every one of us is his personal pal.

He's populist enough to appeal to everyone, but manages to dance at the edge of the Cheese Volcano without going in.

He's also very scary in a way because if he hadn't got that guitar and learned how to make it talk, he could have been a leader of a suicide cult (it's a death trap! It's a suicide rap! We gotta get out while we're young!). He seems to make a lot of people feel a lot less self-conscious than they might otherwise. That's the music, but it's also something of his charisma.

I don't see what the fuss is, either. I just know that I'm adding to the fuss, revelling in the fuss, loving the fuss.

Oh, and Nailer, I love the melancholy of Atlantic City.

I really love Sandy/4th of July Asbury Park for the same reason. And I really, really fucking love Wild Billy's Circus Story. In fact, I think my favourite album is The Wild, The Innocent And the E-Street Shuffle. There's a kind of twisted, little bit dirty, surviving-the-bleak-nuclear-winter shit about it. It's almost scary, a bit like the carnies it conjures up, I guess.

Bruce loves all his fans equally.

Even ones from Youghal.

Yeah, and I guess he probably has a special place in his heart for them, even if they're miserable pricks. Youghal should be twinned with Asbury Park.

Asbury is like Atlantic City's little junkie brother who never had a chance. And like AC grew up to be a slumlord with a taste for hookers.

One time when I was there, there was a race riot and a drive-by shooting in the same night. We walked into this hotel, this kind of fancy joint plonked in the middle of a seaside wasteland, and the place was a fucking mess -- furniture overturned, half the shit smashed, and a strange eye-of-the-hurricane feeling. We asked what had happened, and were told there had been an 'incident'. Eventually, some security guard told us a little more, but it remained unexplained how a riot in a 4-star hotel didn't seem to be an unusual occurrence.

Then I remember a big half-collapsed building with a faded picture of a clown with a very big mouth. It made me whimper.

We walked into this hotel, this kind of fancy joint plonked in the middle of a seaside wasteland, and the place was a fucking mess --

almost on the seafront, but not quite? stayed in that place after playing the stone pony a couple of years back, very odd. overrun with proper huggy bear style pimps and shemales

One time when I was there, there was a race riot and a drive-by shooting in the same night. We walked into this hotel, this kind of fancy joint plonked in the middle of a seaside wasteland, and the place was a fucking mess -- furniture overturned, half the shit smashed, and a strange eye-of-the-hurricane feeling.

yep, sounds like Youghal alright

apart from the 4-star hotel bit

almost on the seafront, but not quite? stayed in that place after playing the stone pony a couple of years back, very odd. overrun with proper huggy bear style pimps and shemales

That'd probably be the one. This would have been in the mid-1990s and I think the place was fairly new then. I'd say it wasn't long before it started to look a little on the decayed side. Like if an old pole dancer could be a building, this would be it. It still looked okay structurally when I was there, but a few more riots and it woulda started to show.

I can't even remember what it was called, but in the middle of that open area it looked a little bit like some kind of Death Star. Couldn't have been more out of place. It would be like (warning: another Wire reference) if someone opened up a Radisson in the middle of the vacants in West Baltimore.

What did you think of Asbury? I kind of think it makes sense as a place for these guys to come from -- you realise that for Brucey and co, it was either write the greatest songs ever or take up heroin, have three kids by three different women, and die in your shotgun shack before you're thirty. It's an extreme place.

did he play tougher than the rest any night? thats my favorite springsteen song

From what I can see he doesn't seem to play any of the Tunnel Of Love stuff anymore except for the occasional 'Brilliant Disguise' which is a shame because it has some of my favourite Bruce stuff but I guess it just reminds him of a darker time in his life and most of it is done wihout 'The E Street Band'

From what I can see he doesn't seem to play any of the Tunnel Of Love stuff anymore except for the occasional 'Brilliant Disguise' which is a shame because it has some of my favourite Bruce stuff but I guess it just reminds him of a darker time in his life and most of it is done wihout 'The E Street Band'

Is 'Trapped' not off that album? He played that on friday. I always assumed it was. It reminds me of me inter-cert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back