• Start date
  • Replies 10
  • Views 3K
  • Watchers 1

hugh

Contributor
Since 2000
Solutions
Video of him doing street photography in New York here. It's worth a look. I like his stuff. Can you imagine doing this on O'Connell Street though?

Great results, just goes to show that if you are completely obvious then people assume you must be aiming at something else. I remember years ago when I was flaked out on steps with my bike, this guy stalking on the opposite side of the street trying to take my picture -very conspicuous, if he had been right up in my face and took it quickly, I probably would have assumed he was trying to take the building. He eventually got embarrassed and just asked so I contorted my face into the camera which I usually do.

Yeah, I much prefer this kind of approach to the sneaking around with a long lens trying to take people's pictures from across the street thing. Gilden is a little obnoxious about it though - the way he suddenly leaps into someone's face and bangs off the flash.

There is another video knocking around of Joel Meyerowitz doing much the same thing. He is a lot subtler about it though - even though he get's just as close to his subjects. He blends in a bit more and interacts with the people on the street by smiling at them and so on.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dipTqJfiE4"]Here it is [/ame]

Gilden is a little obnoxious about it though - the way he suddenly leaps into someone's face and bangs off the flash.

Totally agree - he comes over very arrogant to his subjects and to the interviewer with him.

That being said i like his results..

Totally agree - he comes over very arrogant to his subjects and to the interviewer with him.

That being said i like his results..

Yeah. He has a book about Haiti too which looks really good. I'd love to know if he carried on the same way there ...

He also has one about Toykyo. You can buy a special edition of this from the Magnum shop which includes a actual signed Gilden print. Unfortunately it's 800 dollars. I do have a birthday coming up though so anyone who knows me in real life might just bear that in mind ....

I never heard of this guy til I read the thread. I asked my photographer friend had she heard of him adn she worked with him on a book about horse racing.

I was hanging out with her Saturday and I totally forgot to ask her about him.

I never heard of this guy til I read the thread. I asked my photographer friend had she heard of him adn she worked with him on a book about horse racing.

I was hanging out with her Saturday and I totally forgot to ask her about him.

No way. "After The Off" is the name of the book he did in Ireland ... it looks really good too.

hate his method, love his results. i bid on one of his shots from the GOP's recent exhibition - and lost, it would seem.

hate his method, love his results. i bid on one of his shots from the GOP's recent exhibition - and lost, it would seem.

Me too!!

Didn't the gallery of photography commision him a few years ago? I heard the results weren't great but didn't see them myself. But then that was on boards.ie and they don't like anything that's not sunsets or kids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back