BREXIT (10 Viewers)

I believe First Past the Post is one of the major reasons why people voted to Leave the EU.

It only works if you have two parties.

If you look at Scottish or Northern Irish constituencies, the vast majority of MPs are elected with below 50% of the vote (often far below 50%). These are constituencies where there are, at least, four parties jostling for election.

There hasn't been a British government (bar the 2010-2015 coalition) that has had the backing of over 50% of the vote since the mid-1930's. Thatcher, Blair, Wilson, Churchill etc. - they all governed Britain on the back of a minority of voters.
It's so absurd that there is a definition of the word "majority" in the Oxford English Dictionary specifically for British politics (they use the word majority when they should use "margin of victory").

Approximately 80% of seats in Westminster are considered safe. That means neither the Labour or Tory parties make much effort to canvas the voters in these. They just know they'll get the most votes (although not necessarily the majority) every election.

Ireland is a much, much more democratic country than Britain. Although we have our own problems with TDs, and there are party loyalties etc., most Irish people will have some connection to their local TD. It's not uncommon to know one of your TDs, or at least know someone who knows someone. Likewise Irish people actually have options to vote for politicians they feel much more aligned to. Parties like People Before Profit simply could never exist in Westminster.
We may say politicians like the Healy-Raes or Michael Lowry are an embarrassment. But we can confidently say that, whether we like it or not, the Dail is a pretty good representation of Irish society. I believe that the collapse of Fianna Fail in 2011 and the subsequent emergence of new groups, parties and influential independents, has meant we've got a decent enough parliament. FF and FG will never get more than 35% of the vote again. But that's fine. We seemed to have copped on that the British Parliamentary system is nonsense.

When we vote, we're voting for people to speak on our behalf in our parliament. The government should come from that parliament. In the UK, it's always a blunt choice, with no room for nuance or complex political views - you're just voting for which party should be the government, regardless of how good the candidates are or what if the party truly reflects your beliefs. In Ireland, you have far better options for expressing your own political standpoint.

Irish politicians, and most other European politicians, are far more used to having to listen to voters, work out what the concerns are on the ground and then having to negotiate and work out compromises. It's because there are far less safe seats in the Dail, and other EU parliaments. Candidates have to actually work for their votes.

It's something British politicians don't do. I remember the 2010 election in the UK and how markedly different it was to Irish elections. In the UK the most you'd get is a leaflet through the door. The candidates just didn't bother. My wife (who's English) was shocked at how much canvassing went on in Ireland (she's lived all over the UK, so this experience I had wasn't unique to where we were living).

This disconnect between MPs and voters means that you have a huge number of people in the UK who genuinely, and legitimately, feel they don't have any voice in politics.

The Leave campaign just targeted these people. The Remain campaign, who were largely happy with the status quo, ignored them. That's why if a second referendum was run, you may see another vote to Leave.

I really don't want the UK to leave the EU. But Britain does need something to change drastically. The EU isn't at fault in Britain. It's Westminster.

I should add... the Electoral Reform commission did a study on what would happen if PR were to be introduced to Westminster. This was a few years ago. They claimed it would have meant UKIP would have taken dozens of seats in Parliament. I don't think this is valid.
Under PR you have bigger constituencies and the onus is on parties, and other candidates, to try to convince people who wouldn't give them a first preference to give them a second preference. Therefore you would see totally different campaigns being run - and therefore different issues being discussed at the doorsteps. I think UKIP would get quite a few seats, but they'd never get more than 15%.

So...
There probably are some good politicians in Westminster. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are morally corrupt and don't stand for anything other than election. But, for all it's faults, Ireland, like most other EU nations, is a far more democratic country than Britain.

Britain has coasted along on top of it's Empire and then by the huge money it received after WW2 from the Marshall plan. It hasn't really needed a parliament that actually did anything for them. Now they do, and because of the binary culture of it's politics, they don't have the right people there to do anything useful.

Irish politicians, and most other European politicians, are far more used to having to listen to voters, work out what the concerns are on the ground and then having to negotiate and work out compromises. It's because there are far less safe seats in the Dail, and other EU parliaments. Candidates have to actually work for their votes.
Really interesting. Possible reason why Britain is so against Europe is the structure of their own government? European legislation is funnelled through this flawed British system of representation. All they see of their own governmental agencies is the distant and the unrepresentative. So Europe, kinda rationally, just looks like more of the same top-heavy expensive nonsense to British people maybe?
Right. Back to work.

Really interesting. Possible reason why Britain is so against Europe is the structure of their own government? European legislation is funnelled through this flawed British system of representation. All they see of their own governmental agencies is the distant and the unrepresentative. So Europe, kinda rationally, just looks like more of the same top-heavy expensive nonsense to British people maybe?
Right. Back to work.

That's pretty much how I see it.

I started writing a lot of stuff... but yep...

This is a really good long (ish) discussion on Brexit with Anthony Barnett, talking about the history of english nationalism vs. nationalism elsewhere and ends recommending the Electoral reform Billygannon was talking about

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I believe First Past the Post is one of the major reasons why people voted to Leave the EU.

If you look at Scottish or Northern Irish constituencies, the vast majority of MPs are elected with below 50% of the vote (often far below 50%). These are constituencies where there are, at least, four parties jostling for election.

There hasn't been a British government (bar the 2010-2015 coalition) that has had the backing of over 50% of the vote since the mid-1930's. Thatcher, Blair, Wilson, Churchill etc. - they all governed Britain on the back of a minority of voters.
It's so absurd that there is a definition of the word "majority" in the Oxford English Dictionary specifically for British politics (they use the word majority when they should use "margin of victory").

Approximately 80% of seats in Westminster are considered safe. That means neither the Labour or Tory parties make much effort to canvas the voters in these. They just know they'll get the most votes (although not necessarily the majority) every election.

Ireland is a much, much more democratic country than Britain. Although we have our own problems with TDs, and there are party loyalties etc., most Irish people will have some connection to their local TD. It's not uncommon to know one of your TDs, or at least know someone who knows someone. Likewise Irish people actually have options to vote for politicians they feel much more aligned to. Parties like People Before Profit simply could never exist in Westminster.
We may say politicians like the Healy-Raes or Michael Lowry are an embarrassment. But we can confidently say that, whether we like it or not, the Dail is a pretty good representation of Irish society. I believe that the collapse of Fianna Fail in 2011 and the subsequent emergence of new groups, parties and influential independents, has meant we've got a decent enough parliament. FF and FG will never get more than 35% of the vote again. But that's fine. We seemed to have copped on that the British Parliamentary system is nonsense.

When we vote, we're voting for people to speak on our behalf in our parliament. The government should come from that parliament. In the UK, it's always a blunt choice, with no room for nuance or complex political views - you're just voting for which party should be the government, regardless of how good the candidates are or what if the party truly reflects your beliefs. In Ireland, you have far better options for expressing your own political standpoint.

It's something British politicians don't do. I remember the 2010 election in the UK and how markedly different it was to Irish elections. In the UK the most you'd get is a leaflet through the door. The candidates just didn't bother. My wife (who's English) was shocked at how much canvassing went on in Ireland (she's lived all over the UK, so this experience I had wasn't unique to where we were living).

This disconnect between MPs and voters means that you have a huge number of people in the UK who genuinely, and legitimately, feel they don't have any voice in politics.

The Leave campaign just targeted these people. The Remain campaign, who were largely happy with the status quo, ignored them. That's why if a second referendum was run, you may see another vote to Leave.

I really don't want the UK to leave the EU. But Britain does need something to change drastically. The EU isn't at fault in Britain. It's Westminster.

I should add... the Electoral Reform commission did a study on what would happen if PR were to be introduced to Westminster. This was a few years ago. They claimed it would have meant UKIP would have taken dozens of seats in Parliament. I don't think this is valid.
Under PR you have bigger constituencies and the onus is on parties, and other candidates, to try to convince people who wouldn't give them a first preference to give them a second preference. Therefore you would see totally different campaigns being run - and therefore different issues being discussed at the doorsteps. I think UKIP would get quite a few seats, but they'd never get more than 15%.

So...
There probably are some good politicians in Westminster. Fianna Fail and Fine Gael are morally corrupt and don't stand for anything other than election. But, for all it's faults, Ireland, like most other EU nations, is a far more democratic country than Britain.

Britain has coasted along on top of it's Empire and then by the huge money it received after WW2 from the Marshall plan. It hasn't really needed a parliament that actually did anything for them. Now they do, and because of the binary culture of it's politics, they don't have the right people there to do anything useful.

" the Dail is a pretty good representation of Irish society."

Hang on now... Really?

Edit: Actually maybe you're right. I haven't kept up with thing in a while.

So...

This was an excellent read - thank you.

Can you say a bit more about the safe seats? I don't really understand that part.

This was an excellent read - thank you.

Can you say a bit more about the safe seats? I don't really understand that part.
Thanks Katie... honestly... it's a bit rambling. I've been trying to do something on this over the last few weeks, but just finding it hard to get the time.

There's no official definition of a safe seat, but they are constituencies where one party consistently wins.
There are 650 seats in Westminster - between 350 and 400 of these are considered safe (i.e. either Labour or Tory). Going in to the 2015 election (where Cameron won), 225 constituencies hadn't changed hands electorally since before 1950 - 8 of these haven't changed since before 1900 (and the Tories hold all the "very" safe seats).
About 25 million people live in these safe seat constituencies and these seats make up the majority of seats in Westminster.
The effect means, together, the Tories and Labour have a stranglehold on power in Westminster.
It should also be noted that it doesn't necessarily mean the parties holding these safe seats have an actual majority. For instance the Tories could be holding a safe seat for decades, yet in every election they get between 40% and 45% of the vote (i.e. a minority of votes). It just depends on the number of candidates contesting the seat.
If you don't support the party in these safe seats, then your vote is usually ineffective. Voters are also really put off from voting, because of the belief that their constituency will always return a Tory (or Labour).

Generally speaking, the safe Tory seats are in wealthy, southern constituencies, while the safe Labour seats are in the poorer, northern constituencies. I'll put it this way... the Tories will never, ever win a seat in a working class constituency in Middlesborough, Sunderland, Newcastle, Stoke, Liverpool etc. Everyone knows the Tories shafted the north - particularly during the Thatcher era.

I spoke to my wife about this a couple of days ago. She said that in England the view was that if you voted Lib Dem, you were someone who couldn't make up their mind. If you were properly left-wing, you had to vote Labour.
It's almost like a team sport - I've witnessed many an argument between Tories and Labour supporters where it resembled more of a slanging match between Liverpool and United fans than a proper political discussion.

Contrast this with Ireland, where we've seen the Labour party cosy up to Fine Gael over the years. People needed an alternative and from that grew the PBP/Alliance group, the Social Democrats and, to some extent, Sinn Fein. Ireland is far more mature politically than England - and it's showing during these Brexit negotiations. The UK politicians, used to the certainties of British politics, have no understanding of compromise and negotiations. The Europeans... the Irish... are running rings around them.

There's been a lot of talk on English radio the last couple of days about how the EU always backs down at the last second, so even though they've clearly said they won't reopen negotiations, they totally will. I'm not sure what their precedent for saying this is. Personally, I think it would be fine to reopen negotiations, whatever. They still don't have a coherent plan though, taint going to go well

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back