BREXIT (8 Viewers)

I only ever come in here on the off chance that someone is actually discussing Brexit, and especially the north
But nah
Of course not!
It's Tan Time all the time.
Who down south gives a fuck about the north?
Nay cunt

A tragedy of Yeatsian proportions
:cry:

You can have Brit things all in here, or you can have a bunch of Brit threads. Maybe Pete can do a subforum with a red top.

No thats a shite image. Great britain is literally the name of the 'island'.
I think there's a distinction between geographically and politically
Like the island is definitely Great Britain for like I dunno, geologists and bird watchers or whoever.
But people in the Hebrides are defo residents of Great Britain as far as their MPs (and very possibly postal service) is concerned

I am like 85%-ish sure of that
I have had to look up adjacent shit a bunch of times

The image is from Britannica. A wretched hive of scum and villainy, if ever there were one.

I think there's a distinction between geographically and politically
Like the island is definitely Great Britain for like I dunno, geologists and bird watchers or whoever.
But people in the Hebrides are defo residents of Great Britain as far as their MPs (and very possibly postal service) is concerned

I am like 85%-ish sure of that
I have had to look up adjacent shit a bunch of times

The image is from Britannica. A wretched hive of scum and villainy, if ever there were one.
Yes, but for postage...

Deep dive on terminology:

The name Britain goes back to Ptolemy, or at least an early form of the word (Pretannia). Initially it referred to the island but then it only referred to Roman occupied territories (England and Wales) and not to Scotland (Caledonia). Previous to Britain, Aristotle referred to these islands as Albion (believed to derive from the white chalk of the cliffs of Dover) and Ierne (borrowed from the Celtic god Eriú from which Hibernia, Eire and Ireland are derived).

There are a few different views on where Great Britain comes from. One is that there was Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and Little Britain (Brittany in France). Britain fell out of common usage and only came back around the 1400s when the term Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) was used to distinguish the kingdom from Roman Britain (England and Wales). In modern usage, Great Britain includes all the small islands around the main island apart from Ireland and its islands.

British Isles is supposed to encompass all the islands around Great Britain including Ireland and the thousands of smaller islands but that is politically disputed now and not used officially in Ireland. As is proper.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland does not include British Overseas Territories like Gibraltar or Bermuda, these are sovereign states with some level of self-governance.

I hate PMQ's. It truly is an embarrassment to the UK. Indeed, to democracy in general.

However, Starmer did land a good zinger today:
"I have a copy of a new book that has been written by the former Prime minister. A rare, rare, unsigned copy".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back