Bomb attacks in london (2 Viewers)

wow. god, I had heard they'd assumed the bomber was a passenger as the bottom deck was ok.

spiritualtramp said:
parking attendant Ade Soji, 35, of Dagenham, Essex, said he had to run for his life after the bus exploded.

He said: "I was helping a member of the public with directions when the bus stopped and the driver asked me the name of the street. I told him Tavistock Square and he called me over. Just as I was about to go, I heard the bus explode. In another second I would have been dead. I had to run for my life. I looked back and saw the roof flying over."

errr...was the driver the bomber?

jane said:
Hi, it's not like I doubt the existence of something called Al-Qaeda, but I'm not sure I believe it is quite the elaborately organised group we're led to assume it is.

I can't help but think it was pretty much invented by the US to give us a definable enemy because explaining that "A whole bunch of unaffiliated groups we've armed are now really pissed off that we've turned on them now that we don't need them anymore" reflects badly on western governments modi operandorum.

Oh my god, well, I can't be quite grasping this situation, as I'm still declining my Latin just fine.

O Tempora! O mores!

yeah the FBI had an associate of bin laden testify to the existence of a global network in 2000 in order to invoke an old anti-mafia law that allows them to prosecute the leader of an organisation even in that person's absence - ie bin laden.
the existence of 'al-quaida' is a debatable one.

jane said:
I can't help but think it was pretty much invented by the US to give us a definable enemy because explaining that "A whole bunch of unaffiliated groups we've armed are now really pissed off that we've turned on them now that we don't need them anymore" reflects badly on western governments modi operandorum.[/i]

As my boss would say, "you've hit the nail on the hammer there".

yea,i think you're right there Jane.wasn't there an Irish guy who wrote a pretty well researched book about al-qaeda and how it doesn't exist?

jane said:
Hi, it's not like I doubt the existence of something called Al-Qaeda, but I'm not sure I believe it is quite the elaborately organised group we're led to assume it is.

I can't help but think it was pretty much invented by the US to give us a definable enemy because explaining that "A whole bunch of unaffiliated groups we've armed are now really pissed off that we've turned on them now that we don't need them anymore" reflects badly on western governments modi operandorum.

Oh my god, well, I can't be quite grasping this situation, as I'm still declining my Latin just fine.

O Tempora! O mores!

jane said:

O Tempora! O mores!
Not quite. al-Qa'eda is very loosely organised via international financing, internet, etc. but it operates like a franchise. If some mad pricks want to blow up something in the spirit of al-Qa'eda they get called an al-Qa'eda splinter group. They don't operate from a head command point with a hierarchical structure like they're waiting for al-Zarqawi or bin Laden's go ahead (ironically I think al-Qa'eda means "the base" or something).

Also, a friend told me they apparently copy the styles of successful terrorist attacks of other organisations. But they do exist and they are complete cunts.

jane said:

O Tempora! O mores!
Al Quaeda was basically a database for the families of various religious nutbags in Afganistan (I may be wrong on the country) to find out what happened to them. The media needed to give a name to whoever was responsible for 9/11 and AQ fitted the bill. I don't think for one minute that they are one big consolidated world-wide group.

spiritualtramp said:
Err...I'm now hearing south kensington station has been hit. loads of suspect devices everywhere.

obviously anything I'm posting could be rumour.

i've also heard rumour of a bomb near leicester square, though that has been pretty much disproved by people i know who are looking at it.

got to expect crazy rumours and suspected devices at a time like this. on 9/11 there were lots of reports of further explosions/fires in DC as well as the pentagon being hit, which was all very perturbing for me given that my parents lived there at the time.

minka said:
i've also heard rumour of a bomb near leicester square, though that has been pretty much disproved by people i know who are looking at it.

I heard leicester square had an explosion as well. They must be carrying out controlled explosions on anything that looks suspect.

minka said:
got to expect crazy rumours and suspected devices at a time like this. on 9/11 there were lots of reports of further explosions/fires in DC as well as the pentagon being hit, which was all very perturbing for me given that my parents lived there at the time.

the Pentagon was hit??? wasn't it???

clonan attack said:
londons burning bbc1-BRITAIN AT WAR!

London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared - and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard,you boys and girls
London calling, now don't LECTURE us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the reign of that truncheon thing

The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
Cause London is drowning - I live by the river

Now get this
London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
And after all this, won't you give me a smile?
London Calling

I never felt so much ALIVE ALIVE ALIVE ALIVE

poor oul joe strummer is pissed he missed this i betcha.

spiritualtramp said:
there wasn't a blast in leicester square. this is all pretty confusing.

as i said, this came as news to people i knew who were there, given that it hadn't happened. not surprising that people are getting a bit jumpy, though.

x.gif
GROUP CLAIMS ATTACKS A terror group linked to al Qaeda has claimed it carried out a series of terror attacks on London that have left a number of people dead and hundreds injured.

hermie said:
yea,i think you're right there Jane.wasn't there an Irish guy who wrote a pretty well researched book about al-qaeda and how it doesn't exist?

That's the thing. Every time they say 'Al-Qaeda', I hear 'convenient excuse for the US to play cover-up games and twist this into a justification for war'.

I'm doubtful of most conspiracy theories, so I don't buy the whole notion that the US orchestrated 9/11 themselves, but I would believe that they did a lot of manipulating, lying, and covering up after the fact in order to create a convenient excuse to go to war. It was useful for them, and they wasted no time in capitalising on tragedy. They appropriated all of the grief for their own ends, and thus robbed the non-violent among us of our right to mourn.

Just as they will do with this.

'Al-Qaeda' is an 'invisible' enemy, which means an attack from these handily constructed terrorist Others is an excuse for indiscriminate and blanket bombing. After all, who can blame someone for shooting blind when they know the enemy could be anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back