Blu-Ray players (2 Viewers)

Hurrah! Too right.

Having not seen too many HD DVDs or Blu-Rays... is the leap forward really THAT amazing?
New films, yes. Old films, not really.

Though I'm watching on a 26" TV, and apparently you have to watch on a 32" or bigger to really notice a difference.

The upscaling on the hd-dvd drive is generally thought to be poor and only works through HDMI and VGA. It doesn't work over component.

i do indeed

deffo wouldn't bother with the blu-ray player, and only with the hd-dvd if you get it for mad cheap,and like a good bunch of the films already available. difference between an upscaled dvd and hd is only discernible when the hd transfer has been done very well, which frequently they aren't.

also, irritatingly, most hd films are presented in ultra widescreen, so you end up with giant black borders on screen, whereas dvds tend to have more forgiving aspect ratios.

if you're looking for an upscaler, just get a dedicated multiregion dvd player. think the samsung ones are meant to be aces

Hurrah! Too right.

Having not seen too many HD DVDs or Blu-Rays... is the leap forward really THAT amazing?

As said already

not a bad improvement for new films.

but the bulk of my DVD purchases are

1) Pre-1990 cult movies

2) Archive television from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s

Neither can be much improved that what's already there on DVD.

As said already

not a bad improvement for new films.

but the bulk of my DVD purchases are

1) Pre-1990 cult movies

2) Archive television from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s

Neither can be much improved that what's already there on DVD.

"Unfortunately there are currently no plans for a Banacek Blu-Ray release."

2697740-m.jpg

I got Pans Labyrinth on Blu Ray and it looked amazing.

Generally anything by Pixar looks great too.

haha

See this

Good value but still entertaining? Hard to say not having seen him for ages.

I've found that some of Benny Hills sketches have aged well but the majority are unwatchable. I have a few at home and as they say the proof is in the pudding.

However some things are better left in the memory. That doesn't include Van Ver Valk and anything with Richard O'Sullivan.

most bluray movies are region free anyway, aren't they?

nearly bought a bluray writer in tokyo, but then thought - why??? a rare moment of common sense.

I can see BluRay becoming the cinephile's choice format, like Laserdisc (anyone here ever have a Laserdisc player?), but most people sticking to buying DVDs 'cos they couldn't give a toss about the marginal resolution boost. That all hinges on how the PS3 sells in the future, mind you.

I remember Sony doing this splitscreen demo of BluRay Vs. DVD quality that was intended to blow you away with its awesomeness, but ended up reminding you that well-mastered DVDs are pretty good to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back