Beth Ditto - shut up (1 Viewer)

she does come across as an annoying, hyperactive, overloud type who's way more obsessed with her own identity politics and making her music serve some politcal agenda. she maybe very intelligent but she's also all these other things, which is what makes her annoying.

in other words she's an american.

beth ditto - size hero.

she reminds me of this chick i had to hang around with for a day:
WillyWonka5.jpg

still tho shes a bit more interesting than pete dokerty, innit?

said:
The Gossip formed in 1999 in Searcy, Arkansas with vocalist Beth Ditto, guitarist Brace Paine, and drummer Kathy Mendonca. They were influenced in part by riot grrrl bands and feminism, although the members of the band don't identify themselves as a riot grrrl band. The band relocated to Olympia, Washington in 1999, and signed with the Independent record label, K Records. K Records released Gossip's first release, their eponymous debut EP, The Gossip in 1999.
Since its release Ditto has caused controversy for being open about her weight and sexuality, and not holding back when it comes to discussing fellow muscians.
Their next release was their first album That's Not What I Heard and was released by the record label Kill Rock Stars on January 23, 2001. In between the release of their second album, they released the EP Arkansas Heat on May 7, 2002. Movement, the group's second studio album, followed one year later and was released on May 6, 2003. In November 2003, two months after the release of their first live album Undead in NYC on September 9, drummer Kathy Mendonca left the band to pursue a career as a midwife. Hannah Blilie joined to replace her.
The first release featuring new drummer Hannah Blilie was the collabarative EP Real Damage with the Electropop solo artist Tracy + the Plastics, which was released on January 25, 2005. The band's next album Standing in the Way of Control followed a year later. It was released on January 24, 2006 on Kill Rock Stars.
They are now based in Portland, Oregon. The Gossip have opened for bands such as Sleater-Kinney, Le Tigre, and Mates Of State. Furthermore, The Gossip opened for the Scissor Sisters for three dates on their tour in November 2006, but in NME magazine singer Ditto complained that she disliked performing for an audience who didn't 'know their Ramones'.

david-brent.jpg

I fancy... well... basically all of the female cast of Rome. Series two.

actor_zuleikharobinson.jpg

and Cleopatra...

Jaysus lads. They are dirty. Veeerryy dirty. In a good way.

hey that Cleopatra looks a bit like a grown up Verucca Salt

a bit

so...whats this thread about now?

hey that Cleopatra looks a bit like a grown up Verucca Salt

a bit

so...whats this thread about now?

No, that is Titus Pullo's slave girl up there. Gaia. And she is filthy. FILTHY!

I cant find a picture of Cleopatra there.
Suffices to say, I would crawl on my hands and knees over a hundred meters of broken glass to be allowed stick matches into her shite.

That is all.

Did you see it via internet? I hope I havent missed it on regular tv

Oh, it might not have been shown over there yet.
Its that BBC HBO Rome show. Its onto the second season over in YankLand at the moment.
Best thing of TV.

If you haven't seen the first series watch it on DVD or something.

Apparently the Beeb had to censor out some of the sex scenes and language though. The DVD might be better all around in that respect.
HBO showed the lot over here though.

Romans seem to be fond of riding. And using very bad words.

Beth is a fire-breathing icon of rock'n'roll non-conformity. With a voice like Tina Turner gargling ball bearings, a mega-watt stage presence, a delight in flouting the conventions of dress for 'the larger lady', Beth would stand out anywhere, never mind in the blokey indie world.

Then there's the fact that she grew up a punk and proudly lesbian in the deep south, Arkansas, from a white trash (her words) background where the only way out seemed to be "pregnancy or crystal meth addiction". She has expertly dissed Gwen Stefani for being an "appropriation station", paid her punk-rock dues by touring for five years in obscurity with her band, and in Standing In The Way Of Control - a protest song about Bush's attitude to gay marriage - made the indie-disco floor-filler of the year.

Quel surprise the narrow-minded, reactionary posters of Thumped diss her.

What if you've not read/heard much interview coverage from her and you thought their hit was pretty fucking shit?

Cheers. I liked the first series - looking forward to the next one

The second series is better.
It's going to be the last one made though. The cost of the thing was unreal. 100 million for the first series, which rose sharply for series two.

We should have a Titus Pullo appreciation thread in fairness. The man is a legend.

She is gay going out with a transgendered individual (born a woman identifying as a man)
She's jealous becuse Kate Moss beat her to Sexiest Women of Year
She's NME's coolest person of the year.
She's a punk but has no problem going on a "soul sucking" tour with Scissor Sisters.
She's radical.

Personally, I think if she talked more about the issues she wants to champion and less about herself she might not be hated so much but probably not be as famous either IMO.

Great.Sure let's give her a medal.Before NME decide "actually Ms Ditto,you're a minger and we actually aren't interested in your music at all." Which you know they will do sooner than you think.

Do you really think fashion magazine readers will treat larger ladies any better,or homophobes any better, becasue Ms Ditto is flavour of the month? Does she?

Unfortunately,we all know the answer to that one. But sure I'm a straight male so what would I know like.. and anyway,I've heard two Gossip songs,and they both suck.If she has something to say more power to her,I'd rather read an interview with her than listen to her poxy band thanks.

One last thing - If Ms Ditto is so right on, she might want to have a word with one of her band members for wearing a Burzum patch (newsflash:Nazi bands don't generally approve of the overweight,lesbian or female for that matter) in some magazine a few weeks back.Way to look like a clueless idiot.

Great.Sure let's give her a medal.Before NME decide "actually Ms Ditto,you're a minger and we actually aren't interested in your music at all." Which you know they will do sooner than you think.

Do you really think fashion magazine readers will treat larger ladies any better,or homophobes any better, becasue Ms Ditto is flavour of the month? Does she?

Unfortunately,we all know the answer to that one. But sure I'm a straight male so what would I know like.. and anyway,I've heard two Gossip songs,and they both suck.If she has something to say more power to her,I'd rather read an interview with her than listen to her poxy band thanks.

One last thing - If Ms Ditto is so right on, she might want to have a word with one of her band members for wearing a Burzum patch (newsflash:Nazi bands don't generally approve of the overweight,lesbian or female for that matter) in some magazine a few weeks back.Way to look like a clueless idiot.

Are them questions directed at me or are they rhetorical?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back