Beth Ditto - shut up (1 Viewer)

Beth is a fire-breathing icon of rock'n'roll non-conformity. With a voice like Tina Turner gargling ball bearings, a mega-watt stage presence, a delight in flouting the conventions of dress for 'the larger lady', Beth would stand out anywhere, never mind in the blokey indie world.

Then there's the fact that she grew up a punk and proudly lesbian in the deep south, Arkansas, from a white trash (her words) background where the only way out seemed to be "pregnancy or crystal meth addiction". She has expertly dissed Gwen Stefani for being an "appropriation station", paid her punk-rock dues by touring for five years in obscurity with her band, and in Standing In The Way Of Control - a protest song about Bush's attitude to gay marriage - made the indie-disco floor-filler of the year.

Quel surprise the narrow-minded, reactionary posters of Thumped diss her.

That sounds like and extract from the 'Who are my heroes' section of your CV.

I'm not shocked any more by the conservative attitude and Medieval lynch-mob mentality of Thumped...
It seems to me that the little boys club are more threatened by Ditto than anything else.

I'm not shocked any more by the conservative attitude and Medieval lynch-mob mentality of Thumped...
It seems to me that the little boys club are more threatened by Ditto than anything else.

I am not threatened by Ditto. That may be part of the probem.

Beth is a fire-breathing icon of rock'n'roll non-conformity. With a voice like Tina Turner gargling ball bearings, a mega-watt stage presence, a delight in flouting the conventions of dress for 'the larger lady', Beth would stand out anywhere, never mind in the blokey indie world.

Then there's the fact that she grew up a punk and proudly lesbian in the deep south, Arkansas, from a white trash (her words) background where the only way out seemed to be "pregnancy or crystal meth addiction". She has expertly dissed Gwen Stefani for being an "appropriation station", paid her punk-rock dues by touring for five years in obscurity with her band, and in Standing In The Way Of Control - a protest song about Bush's attitude to gay marriage - made the indie-disco floor-filler of the year.

Quel surprise the narrow-minded, reactionary posters of Thumped diss her.

"paid her punk rock dues by touring for five years in obscurity?"

Do I give a fuck?

less cutting and pasting please
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2006/11/why_beth_ditto_is_the_coolest.html

or at least acknowledge your sources

Mitchum the Witchum.

Here... your review of Beth Ditto is really good. Very well written!

ha, amazing

more mitchum gold

"thumped, i'm disappointed in you - go to your room"

I am too actually - seems like fat people are the last group it's OK to slag off. Fair enough if you think she talks a load of shite, but just slagging her off because of her size is an easy way out instead of saying something genuinely constructive. She does go on about being big a lot, but I can't say I blame her, working in an industry so obsessed with skinniness (the music business is nearly as bad as the fashion business for promoting thin-ness as the only example of beauty).

This is Beth Ditto, isn't it?
264307%7ENatasha-Bedingfield-Posters.jpg

She doesn't look fat at all! Thumped is fucking crazy these days.

I am too actually - seems like fat people are the last group it's OK to slag off. Fair enough if you think she talks a load of shite, but just slagging her off because of her size is an easy way out instead of saying something genuinely constructive. She does go on about being big a lot, but I can't say I blame her, working in an industry so obsessed with skinniness (the music business is nearly as bad as the fashion business for promoting thin-ness as the only example of beauty).
i didn't slag her off because of her size. a lot of other people on the thread also avoided that - instead, they made well-thought-out, intelligent, pointed observations about her music and opinions, which were relevant and constructive. sayin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back