Beth Ditto - shut up (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I thought 'Standing the way of control' (or whatever its called) had a certain foot-tapability to it.

Ah well, I guess I'll just lump the Gossip with the Dandy Warhols, Razorlight etc, in the section marked 'Music not worth listening to because the lead singer is such a gobshite'.

No I listen to it and I kinda like the song, but I was just suprised because usually when people act like her, they are way more concerned with being famous or making some political point that their music suffers from the fact that they're more concerned with the other thing.

I was also suprised at liking a song the first time I'd heard whilst watching video with that repulsive minger in it.

Beth Ditto. Shut up.

do you actually read the mirror and the sun, or did you just google and post the links? reading the nme is bad enough.

i haven't read anything recent, but i'm guessing if it's for the nme, the interviewer has a predetermined agenda. she always came across as sensible in the old plan b/careless talk costs lives interviews.

do you actually read the mirror and the sun, or did you just google and post the links? reading the nme is bad enough.

i haven't read anything recent, but i'm guessing if it's for the nme, the interviewer has a predetermined agenda. she always came across as sensible in the old plan b/careless talk costs lives interviews.

fair point but she does come across as an annoying, hyperactive, overloud type who's way more obsessed with her own identity politics and making her music serve some politcal agenda. she maybe very intelligent but she's also all these other things, which is what makes her annoying.

does it matter? I'd rather read the nme than pitchfork, as it is i generally flick through both while simultaneously doing my best to ignore them.

But Beth Ditto i find just really annoying, it seems if you ask her about her new single she'll just go on about her weight and how she is the worlds greatest role model for an hour.

I'm sure the nme has a pre-determined agenda but i'm also pretty sure the Gossip knew this going into the interview.

she maybe very intelligent
to be honest, i don't think that's true. intelligent loudmouths are fantastic - johnny rotten/kathleen hanna/lou reed/henry rollins/whoever. she's not an intelligent loudmouth. she's... just a loudmouth.

also, she's a loudmouth with a habit of portraying herself as the symbol and embodiment of 'strange'/lezzer/different music and people, and it's pretty irritating, especially when you consider that she sucks up a lot of the publicity that might otherwise go to properly amazing 'strange' bands who also happen to tick some of the identity boxes that she seems so concerned with. like, say, electrelane.

to be honest, i don't think that's true. intelligent loudmouths are fantastic - johnny rotten/kathleen hanna/lou reed/henry rollins/whoever. she's not an intelligent loudmouth. she's... just a loudmouth.

also, she's a loudmouth with a habit of portraying herself as the symbol and embodiment of 'strange'/lezzer/different music and people, and it's pretty irritating, especially when you consider that she sucks up a lot of the publicity that might otherwise go to properly amazing 'strange' bands who also happen to tick some of the identity boxes that she seems so concerned with. like, say, electrelane.

i pretty much agree(ish), but their stuff is rather good...
(*may i just say here that electrelane have a new album out in may and it WILL be great...)

:cool:
- leigh

I know she's all anti-size and it's nice to see someone going against the size zero type of thing and all that... but Beth looks plain obesse and unhealthy...

Just saw her in the flesh doing a session for 6 Music last week, and she doesn't, she looks lovely actually.

I think it's brilliant that she's getting all this coverage, we need glamourous fat chicks in the charts! Hasn't been a good role model for chubby girls since Manda Rin from Bis, who's now gone all svelte. (And no, I don't count yer wan who was on Fame Academy...)

Just saw her in the flesh doing a session for 6 Music last week, and she doesn't, she looks lovely actually.

I think it's brilliant that she's getting all this coverage, we need glamourous fat chicks in the charts! Hasn't been a good role model for chubby girls since Manda Rin from Bis, who's now gone all svelte. (And no, I don't count yer wan who was on Fame Academy...)

aah now
manda rin was not that big at all - she was quite average looking

True, by real-world standards Manda wasn't very big (and by American standards positively sylph-like), but by pop star standards, particularly in the era of the super-waif, she was. She used to get flak from people about being big, so she counts as flying the flag for the chubbettes. Go chubbettes!

BTW there's a club in London called Unskinny Bop dedicated to fat people in pop. It rocks.

New quote from Beth Ditto:

"I'm so sick of clothing companies telling women what they should wear. They should nyom, nyom, nyom . . . . (fade to sound of devouring hot dog)"

LaLa makes the best point - how is she gay* if she goes out with a man?

*people seem to list lesbians and gays separately, so I'm not sure if you're allowed call lesbians gay.

Beth is a fire-breathing icon of rock'n'roll non-conformity. With a voice like Tina Turner gargling ball bearings, a mega-watt stage presence, a delight in flouting the conventions of dress for 'the larger lady', Beth would stand out anywhere, never mind in the blokey indie world.

Then there's the fact that she grew up a punk and proudly lesbian in the deep south, Arkansas, from a white trash (her words) background where the only way out seemed to be "pregnancy or crystal meth addiction". She has expertly dissed Gwen Stefani for being an "appropriation station", paid her punk-rock dues by touring for five years in obscurity with her band, and in Standing In The Way Of Control - a protest song about Bush's attitude to gay marriage - made the indie-disco floor-filler of the year.

Quel surprise the narrow-minded, reactionary posters of Thumped diss her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back