Beth Ditto - shut up (2 Viewers)

Not as much.
Theres way more dangerously fat people.
Obese people present loads of extra risks.
For example,
Who would you rather accidently sat on your child?
Kate Moss or Beth Ditto?

Not as much.
Obese people present loads of extra risks.
For example,
Who would you rather accidently sat on your child?
Kate Moss or Beth Ditto?

obesity can be a health risk yes, but my point here is that people are giving beth ditto alot of flak for it when it has nothing to do with what their supposed gripe with her allegedly is.

nobody's perfect but i think the size zero thing is way more worrying than obesity; mainly because young girls look at pictures of nicole richie and want to be like her - you rarely hear of them saying "id love to be rubenesque" and i think thats a shame

i dont want to stand on a pulpit and generalise but having gone to an all girls school and knowing others who did too - the cases of eating disorders and unhealthy body image is definitely on the rise to the point of starvation.

i just think it's refreshing when bigger girls are in a position to say "i like my body im not ashamed of it"

-also i wouldnt let cokate anywhere near my child

Not as much.

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that"

being overweight doesnt equate to being unhealthy. people have stated that the issue with beth ditto isnt her appearance/weight but the fact that she talks about herself and has a mixed bag of politics.
yet it keeps coming back to jokes about her weight and how thats a bad thing.

sheep-googly.gif

"Be-ee-eth please dont sit on my lamb."

why is there such a stigma with obesity?

would you not consider being underweight a health risk too?
look around you - that seems to be on the rise too....

thats wasn't what i meant. or course skinnyness is bad for you too.

here's what I'm trying to get at: Have the "music media" chosen to big up The Gossip and make Beth Ditto into an icon because she's a striking frontwoman because of her size? In the era of size zero debate we can either see this (1) an an attempt to question the notion of how womens bodies are they are portrayed in the media/popular culture (in the skinny style) - which i think is noble but unlikely. On the other hand maybe (2) they just think that she's a freak and should be paraded about the magazine covers for a laugh/or is so stiking that its a good way to popularise the music of The Gossip...

This is beside the point tho when it comes down to Beth Ditto herself. She has her own agenda it seems in interviews etc. Did she get into a band to be a riot/non-diet grrl (was music the vehicle for her political beliefs) OR is she in the band cause she loves music? (and from what i've heard has a pretty belting voice)

maybe its the airpit hair that freaks people out? the same way that Patti Smiths moustache did on the cover of Horses 32 years ago?

who knows?

"Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that"

being overweight doesnt equate to being unhealthy. people have stated that the issue with beth ditto isnt her appearance/weight but the fact that she talks about herself and has a mixed bag of politics.
yet it keeps coming back to jokes about her weight and how thats a bad thing.

dry your eyes,its behind her back so that makes it ok.
Thats what society taught me.

thats wasn't what i meant. or course skinnyness is bad for you too.

here's what I'm trying to get at: Have the "music media" chosen to big up The Gossip and make Beth Ditto into an icon because she's a striking frontwoman because of her size? In the era of size zero debate we can either see this (1) an an attempt to question the notion of how womens bodies are they are portrayed in the media/popular culture (in the skinny style) - which i think is noble but unlikely. On the other hand maybe (2) they just think that she's a freak and should be paraded about the magazine covers for a laugh/or is so stiking that its a good way to popularise the music of The Gossip...

This is beside the point tho when it comes down to Beth Ditto herself. She has her own agenda it seems in interviews etc. Did she get into a band to be a riot/non-diet grrl (was music the vehicle for her political beliefs) OR is she in the band cause she loves music? (and from what i've heard has a pretty belting voice)

maybe its the airpit hair that freaks people out? the same way that Patti Smiths moustache did on the cover of Horses 32 years ago?

who knows?

i dont know why she's famous now, but havent the gossip been around for a while apparently? (i never heard of them before a few weeks ago)

in which case it's weird she and her weight are suddenly the talk of the town

She is gay going out with a transgendered individual (born a woman identifying as a man)
She's jealous becuse Kate Moss beat her to Sexiest Women of Year
She's NME's coolest person of the year.
She's a punk but has no problem going on a "soul sucking" tour with Scissor Sisters.
She's radical.

Personally, I think if she talked more about the issues she wants to champion and less about herself she might not be hated so much but probably not be as famous either IMO.

Your forgot that she smells, or at least claims to. I've been thinking about Beth Ditto an abnormal amount and probably my favourite thing about her is the song Standing in the Way of Control, which is good. But not as good as Yeah Yeah Yeahs if you ask me.

Your forgot that she smells, or at least claims to. I've been thinking about Beth Ditto an abnormal amount and probably my favourite thing about her is the song Standing in the Way of Control, which is good. But not as good as Yeah Yeah Yeahs if you ask me.

I purposely left out reference to her physical attributes.

Edit: I'm underweight and I smell btw.

the gossip have been around since 99/2000.
magazines have their own agenda as well charlie, the media has decided to concentrate on her size and she's more than willing to play the game. why the fuck wouldnt she use this as a platform to talk about herself. i can only see her as a positive role model for those who dont really have a role model in popular culture. shes not going to change peoples attitudes overnight and its unfortunate that the very mag thats championing them will be the very mag that will knock her down. still, im glad to see someone like her have her moment.

would you ever get my point???

i was referring to the punk = smell thing, furgodssake!!!!!!!!!

I get your point but i'm not sure if I agree. She says smelling=punk I say smelling=crusty and she's hardly a crusty now is she?

I'm also enjoying winding you up;)

PS I'm downloading their album at the moment as I've never actually heard her band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back