Beth Ditto - shut up (1 Viewer)

Have the fat jokes stopped yet? Is it safe to come in?

It's the media more than anything who made her weight a focus, and it is positive. It's not that anyone is overlooking the health risks of obesity, it's that it's important to accept yourself in the body you have no matter what. In fact, it's much harder to lose weight if you can't accept your current body, or there is too strong a link between your waist size and your self-esteem. It's not saying, "It's great to be fat, let's all have more cake." The message is, "It's important not to let your body or your body image define your sense of self-worth."

Yes, you have to take care of your health, but it's important for women like Beth Ditto to send out a message that it's okay to accept yourself no matter what your size. Lots of other women have attempted to do this, but it's hard to really convince people when that message is coming from an unusually attractive woman, which it usually is (i.e. Kate Winslet who, like her or not, is not willing to starve herself).

I don't particularly like the way the media makes women's bodies an issue, but if they're going to make it a focus of the way they talk about Beth Ditto, it's better that she use that forum to speak positively. It's cool as shit that there's a big queer feminist making a splash without having to hide her big queer feminism. Anyway, she's probably used to being interviewed by smaller publications who have different criteria, and who are less prone to sensationalise based on image -- fanzines don't treat interviewees the same way the mainstream music press does.

Also, I think it's cool that she doesn't want to play a gig in a shop that doesn't sell clothes she can wear. She is wililng to do some things in order to maintain her present level of success, but the Gossip know where their boundaries are, and what they will and won't do. It was smarter, too, for publicity's sake, for her to publicly refuse to do the Topshop gig, and give a reason, than to just turn it down quietly -- she probably got the same publicity she would have gotten if she'd played.

I will warn yiz all: one more fat joke, and I'll go off on one.

I'm far from a punk idealist but would it have been cool for her to play the gig if topshop did stock cloths in her size?

Also, I think it's cool that she doesn't want to play a gig in a shop that doesn't sell clothes she can wear. She is wililng to do some things in order to maintain her present level of success, but the Gossip know where their boundaries are, and what they will and won't do.

It'll be a story for about 5 minutes, it was only reading your post now that I remembered The Magic Numbers walked off a TV show becasue of some fat gag and I can't even remember what show it was.

It was smarter, too, for publicity's sake, for her to publicly refuse to do the Topshop gig, and give a reason, than to just turn it down quietly -- she probably got the same publicity she would have gotten if she'd played.

It'll be a story for about 5 minutes, it was only reading your post now that I remembered The Magic Numbers walked off a TV show becasue of some fat gag and I can't even remember what show it was.

top of the pops. the presenters on that show since sir jimmy finished have been all utter cunts. fair whacks to them for walking off.

No amount of right-on politics is an excuse for being an annoying self-obsessed loudmouth.

I'm sure I'll get over it though.
I thought this thread would have sank by mid-morning yesterday at the latest.

I'm saying, "It's great to be fat, let's all have more cake." The message is, "It's important to let your body or your body image define your sense of self-worth."

I particularly like the way the media makes women's bodies an issue, but if they're going to make it a focus of the way they talk about Beth Ditto, it's better that she use that forum to speak positively. It's not cool as shit that there's a big queer feminist making a splash without having to hide her big queer feminism.

Also, I don't think it's cool that she doesn't want to play a gig in a shop that doesn't sell moo-moos. She is willng to do anything in order to maintain her present level of success, but the Gossip really don't know where their boundaries are, and what they will and won't do.

I will warn yiz all: one more fat joke, please...

jane...tut tut tut
there's some nasty things you be saying there!

;)
- leigh

nice one jane.

we had the gossip over here to play last summer. at that point the main talking point was beth's voice, which weirdly hasn't been mentioned once in this thread. the 'big queer thing' was secondary, like an add-on, "yeah and apparently she's a short and really big". i guess this was because they were still unknown enough to not have seen photos of her around. i dunno, it seems like it's a case of "you get famous, people make up their minds on you based on all the wrong things".

for what it's worth, she's not remotely loudmouthy in person, and you should really go see them live, make your mind up based on what she started out doing, not on what the nme have decided.

p.s. they are goddamn amazing live.

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or so I have read

My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I'd like to sink her with my pink torpedo

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about bum cakes, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

I met her on Monday, twas my lucky bun day
You know what I mean
I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day
You know what I mean

My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights
Big game is waiting there inside her tights, yeah

Big bottom, big bottom
Talk about mud flaps, my girl's got 'em
Big bottom drive me out of my mind
How could I leave this behind?

ALLAHQUAAANNNDO!!!

Listen to what the flower people say
Aahhh-
Listen, it's getting louder every day
Listen, it's like a bolt out of the blue
Aahhh-
Listen, it could be calling now for you
Chorus:
Flower people walk on by
Flower people don't you cry, it's not too late
It's not too late
Listen, it's like a Mozart symphony
Listen, it's something just for you and me
Listen, to what the flower people say
Aahhh- listen
It's getting truer every day
Aahhh.

OMG

magImage.php

yay for curves is right. but the gossip are really really REALLY boring. and she's everywhere all of a sudden. and she hangs around with kate toss. who sees worth in pete doherty. which makes ditto a titto.

i :heart: the gossip and :heart: beth ditto but im not sure how i feel about this..its like when i found out she was gonna be in vogue..i really dont know what to think..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back