Best to plan ahead for next years travels? (2 Viewers)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
So I've been looking into my plans for next year travel wise (I couldn't go anywhere decent this year due to saving for Poland so have the itch) and the choice is down to New York in May for No Fun Fest or Tokyo, anytime really, for about two weeks. (Maybe even both if I get shit sorted and cheap enough..)

So is it best to book flights now rather than wait to see if there's sales or something like that? I'd like to be able to book em asap to have it sorted. Anyway, what's the best way to get it sorted, wait or book now?

I'd say booking ahead makes no difference, not on the long long term. Plus fuel prices could go either way in the meantime, more likely some cheapo airline will open in the meantime to make it easier.

may is a bit too far away, i reckon. you might decide in the meantime that you'd rather go to tuvalu. it might be a couple of hundred (or more) more if you wait til closer the time but you'll be more flexible and it'll be more exciting

I usually find that unless you see an incredible bargain for next year it's not worth buying ahead.

I think the airlines' logic is that if people think 'I must be in NY in August 09' it'll probably be for an event you are required to attend, like a wedding or birthday gift holiday, and that you will pay over the odds to ensure you're there for that date.
The prices fluctuate constantly, and I'm convinced that many airline websites (especially Ryanair) have an algorithm whereby the more often a particular flight is viewed, the higher the price will go.
So if you are checking a particular flight over the course of a few days to see if it's gone down in price you'll notice it's doing the opposite and you may feel forced to buy the ticket at an inflated price in a panic.
This price usually settles after 48 hours though.

LaLa's right though, fuel won't be going down in price any time soon, so I guess if you have an amount in your head that you're willing to pay and find a ticket at that price, you're sorted.

You should also try ringing around a few bricks and mortar travel agents, they can occasionally give a better deal than anything you find on the internet, especially for long haul flights.

The prices fluctuate constantly, and I'm convinced that many airline websites (especially Ryanair) have an algorithm whereby the more often a particular flight is viewed, the higher the price will go.
Definitely. I've seen flights go up 20% or more from checking them obsessively over a few hours, domestic australian flights seem particularly susceptible to this.
You should also try ringing around a few bricks and mortar travel agents, they can occasionally give a better deal than anything you find on the internet, especially for long haul flights.
I still have to be convinced of this - i'd a huge argument in a flight center here the other day with a fella over a flight from oz to NYC, i'd seen one for AU$1100 and he was quoting me AU$1500 saying there wasn't a hope in hell i'd get it cheaper. I find doing an expedia or orbitz on your trip, then either trying the airlines yourself or going to the connecting airport's website and checking which airlines fly out will get you a much better deal. I went to a few travel agents this week for darwin-montreal-orlando-bangkok-darwin and my own webshiteing came out about 25% ahead on price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back