Bertie Ahern. (2 Viewers)

The whole "would you prefer Enda Kenny in power" thing was shouted at me by Fianna Fail voting friends of mine in the last election and it's plainly a non-sequitir. No, I wouldn't want him in power, but I'd not want him in power less than I'd not want Fianna Fail in power, if that makes any sense. That's what voting is supposed to be about. I didn't vote for either party, in any case.

People will vote FF in again. For the very reason nothing ever changes here.Despite overwhelming support for gay marriage.
In what country does anything ever drastically change? And I don't think that there is overwhelming support for Gay marriage among normal folk. Folk don't write to politicians requesting gay marriage be legalised.

What is high on the agenda (at least for country folk) is... personal wealth, planning persmission, low taxes, job creation, better roads, getting an unemployed relative a job, getting a sick relative into a hospital. And so far Fianna Fail are perceived to be the best at delivering it.

You can file the environment, gay marriage, cycle lanes, improved buses and trains in the 'would be nice to have' pile. Most people really just want to drive a bigger car from a bigger house to a better job. And therefore we have Fianna Fail and Bertie Ahern. If it were any other way, they would not be in power.

I don't do letters but have passed comment to the man himself....I work around St. Lukes and deliver food next to his gaff in Beresford Avenue, having said that not bumped into him for awhile...I want to throw the "ban hunting" comments at him.
As a matter of interest do you actually use a drum kit?

In what country does anything ever drastically change? And I don't think that there is overwhelming support for Gay marriage among normal folk. Folk don't write to politicians requesting gay marriage be legalised.

I'm sorry. Among "NORMAL" people? Who the fuck are you? Hitler or Stalin?

People do write to their TD's about gay marriage. A lot more than people write about other things you would probably deem important.

Every poll seems to point to the fact that most people think this would be a good idea.

Steamers have just as much a right to legal protection as us "norms".

You can file the environment, gay marriage, cycle lanes, improved buses and trains in the 'would be nice to have' pile.
Jesus man!! while we might not have the bike lanes of Holland and a few others have u being blind to the last 2-3 years!!! I've never seen so many new Bike lanes added and also quite a few bus corriders!
Check out Malahide road amongst others for the millions they've spent on them adding these lanes!!!

Jesus man!! while we might not have the bike lanes of Holland and a few others have u being blind to the last 2-3 years!!! I've never seen so many new Bike lanes added and also quite a few bus corriders!
Check out Malahide road amongst others for the millions they've spent on them adding these lanes!!!

Completely off topic but
They're not cycle lanes legally speaking, and yet legally speaking its often actually illegal to use them, they're not maintained properly, they're abused by the DCC, they're carcentric in pretty much every regard, they're put in to boost sustainable transport statistics in a very shortsighted and moronic way, and also they are often fucking ridiculous

Hehe yeah, all I can say is that I've actually seen a road widened to add in a bike lane, not got a clue how they're maintained though. :)

Completely off topic but
They're not cycle lanes legally speaking, and yet legally speaking its often actually illegal to use them, they're not maintained properly, they're abused by the DCC, they're carcentric in pretty much every regard, they're put in to boost sustainable transport statistics in a very shortsighted and moronic way, and also they are often fucking ridiculous

That illustrates the whole way that they operate. Sure, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but just for show. You can write all the letters you want to your TD, but they're still going to follow the same stupid agenda. The cycle lanes might be a council matter, but they are part of the same approach to governing: so they can boost stats on paper without giving a shite about practicality. Then they can report said stats to the EU and get a cookie or a sweet or something.

They aren't interested in protecting or supporting the least powerful, they are more interested in weakening the arguments of the less-powerful by nominally giving them what they asked for, but in a totally inadequate way. So you accuse them of creating a car-centric city (which in the US is now called 'Obesogenic' or something -- planning that makes us all fat because you can't walk or cycle anywhere) and they point to some cycle lane with a big pole in the middle of it and say, "See? We listened! Aren't we brilliant altogether!" It's not even to mollify people, it's to weaken arguments against them by doing a half-assed shitty job. So when you point out that the big pole makes the cycle lane a bit dumb (or the one near UCD, which is shared with the footpath, but where the footpath side of it is so overgrown that you have to walk in the N11 or in the cycle lane), they can just say, "Sher, you hippies are never happy, wha? Get a car if it bugs you so much!"

As for who would be in power without Fianna Fail, I don't know. Anyone except them or the PDs. I vote for a joint rule between David Norris and Ivana Bacik. I'm being wishful, but I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a pessimist, and I'd rather be a pessimist than so apathetic and defeated as to just shrug off the whole business of the FF/PD government.

Just because Bertie's resignation wouldn't necessarily result in a miraculous turnaround doesn't mean he shouldn't resign. It's like sitting at home continually punching yourself in the face because you're afraid you'll get stabbed if you go out.

I'm sorry. Among "NORMAL" people? Who the fuck are you? Hitler or Stalin?

People do write to their TD's about gay marriage. A lot more than people write about other things you would probably deem important.

Every poll seems to point to the fact that most people think this would be a good idea.

Steamers have just as much a right to legal protection as us "norms".
I wasn't referring to gays as abnormal. Though re-reading the sentence I could see how it might be misinterpreted, though I think you were quick to jump on your high horse.

I was using normal folk as substitue for regular punter? average joe? Which is hard to do without sounding condescending. I can't think of the correct term to use. I know gay marriage is a huge issue for alot of people. But for most people I would say it isn't. In the terms of a politician's correspondence, I would say it amounts to a very small percentage.

I don't abide by Fianna Fails policies nor do I like Bertie Ahern. I was just trying highlight maybe why people keep voting for him and his party and maybe don't really care so much about his monetary problems.

There's no need to refer to me as Hitler. I'm pro gay marriage.

I don't abide by Fianna Fails policies nor do I like Bertie Ahern. I was just trying highlight maybe why people keep voting for him and his party and maybe don't really care so much about his monetary problems.

is 40 odd percent of 60 odd percent of people eleigible to vote a mandate to lead?

I cycle to work most days. And yes while there are more cycle lanes, an awful lot of them are unplanned after thoughts. And yes there are new bus lanes, but this should have all been done 10 years ago.

I'm not apologising for Fianna Fail, I didn't vote for them. I'm just saying that the whole country are not liberal, pro gay, environmental, guardian reading, message board users, like me and I guess alot other people here. And the things that get on our goat don't necessarily bother the people who voted in Fianna Fail.

People I know deeply despise the idea of the greens. 'they want us to drive smaller cars', 'they'd have us back in caves'. Other seemingly bright people I know think you should be allowed build whatever structure you want on your own land. People may pay lip service to the greater good, but when it comes to the crunch of voting, seemingly they choose personal gain.

I'm also trying to say that being annoyed and venting it on the net doesn't amount to diddly squat. But I'm as guilty as anyone, I've been meaning to write a letter to the greens and the minister on the state of the cycle lanes for about 3 months now.

I cycle to work most days. And yes while there are more cycle lanes, an awful lot of them are unplanned after thoughts. And yes there are new bus lanes, but this should have all been done 10 years ago.

I'm not apologising for Fianna Fail, I didn't vote for them. I'm just saying that the whole country are not liberal, pro gay, environmental, guardian reading, message board users, like me and I guess alot other people here. And the things that get on our goat don't necessarily bother the people who voted in Fianna Fail.

People I know deeply despise the idea of the greens. 'they want us to drive smaller cars', 'they'd have us back in caves'. Other seemingly bright people I know think you should be allowed build whatever structure you want on your own land. People may pay lip service to the greater good, but when it comes to the crunch of voting, seemingly they choose personal gain.
Yeah would agree with most of that.
I'm also trying to say that being annoyed and venting it on the net doesn't amount to diddly squat.
I am at this stage having to cut back my being annoyed in real life , my in your face attitude has got me into enough trouble over my lifespan. :eek:

I'm just obtusely questioning your equation of what "most" people want with who has voted for FF.

Well if you want to get into semantics, i'm gonna bow out of this thread. You know what I mean. I'm referring to the large section of people who voted for Fianna Fail. Who are the largest voting block in the country.

I know technically they didn't get 51% but the PR system is supposed to the fairest system, rather than a first past the post as they have in the UK. It's a major factor in why the Lib Dems can't get into power sharing situation. I really don't know what your getting at? Are you proposing another system? are you suggesting they rigged the election? are you suggesting another party be in power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back