Berlin (1 Viewer)

Here now, don't worry, you may struggle to speak German, but most of the time they politely wait till you eventually get to the end of a very simple sentence before they answer you in English anyway.

Up to me tits in snow.

Just make sure you wear your shades indoors, and in the Winter.
Best way ever to look like a weekender here.

Failing that, try over-sized and unnecessary plastic framed glasses you bought in Mauerpark Flohmarkt.

Do it.

I'm moving to Berlin for the year with my girlfriend on Sept 27th. We were hoping to find a sublet for the 1st month or so rather than sign a year lease on some place we have never seen.

Bit of a long shot but I know there are a few thumped people living in Berlin. Any of ye know of anything going? maybe some friends looking to sublet?

Cheers

I live there, on Oranienstrasse in Kreuzberg.
I am looking to sublet two rooms (a bed room, and living-/work- room + we share a large kitchen and bathroom....I also have my own bedroom and living-/work-room) in me and my girlfriends apartment, but only from Jan - April 2011. She is going away on artist residency these months.

This might suit someone else here, in the near future.

But...I'll keep my ear to the ground, and if I hear of anyone subletting from October that suits a couple, I'll let you know here on this thread.

Also try:
Toy Town Germany .....english speakers forum (dont ever look for jobs on this, ever!)
Ex Berliner Classified on the website of English language magazine (same goes for this for jobs...time wasters, and you get 200 skill-less english speakers competing for one bar or telephone job)

Kannst du etwas Deutsch? Dann besondere gut ist:
Tip Berlin Magazin ....time out style publication, with classifieds... I got my job through this!
Zitty Magazin ... as above, and you might actually get to know some Germans!

Hope this helps!
Up the (Carlow) Punks!!!

Thanks a lot for the help. appreciate it. Just to clarify - You don't have anything available until January? or are you saying the 1st place is available?.

Il be working from home but the girlfriend needs to find work. She is a primary school teacher. She has been looking on toytown and stuff all right. cheers for the links.

So to Clarify:
January - April 2010 we are looking for one (or perhaps a couple, at a push) sublet tenant, living concurrently with me.
(My girlfriend will be away in this period - but occasionally visit. Sublet tenent(s) does not have to provide any girlfriend duties ;) )

That tenant would recieive own 2 rooms in a six room apartment (c.100 sqm) on one side of apartment.
- I retain two rooms on the other side.
- there are two rooms communal (large kitchen, bathroom) in the centre.
All on entire top floor (converted attic space) of house looking directly onto Oranienstrasse (the quieter end of the street mind).
Really bright in south facing rooms, pretty decent light still in north facing rooms - as long as the sun is out!

For the subletter: one room will be set up as a bedroom & then the other a living-/working-room with sofa, work desk, etc.
The two rooms on offer lead onto one another (ie you have to go through one to get to the other) so we cannot rent them to two seperate people - we can only sublet them as a single 'space'.

Preference for late twenties - mid thirties - reasonably settled/mature person, but without a broom up their ass ;)
- NOT A PARTY GAFF!! Nothing wrong though with having a few beers and a few friends around ...its not a monestry either.
All other tenants in building are Turkish - young families (directly below) or older people. We respect them noisewise...
Non-smokers preferred (only because we have no balcony, I don't care about your lifestyle choices!)

Fully renovated place, good heating (included in rent) (Wifi/telephone and electricity are extra) and pretty nicely furnished.

We will give any applicant honest consideration.
We havent set a rent yet, we've only started to plan around this last week.

RE: teaching work - (I work in a bilingual school here)
Your girlfriend will probably be not able to work in a state school (even an English-language one), as she does not have a German qualification. However she can teach in a private school ,or do English tutoring (to individiuals or in a Kindergarten (a.k.a Kita)), either employed directly or through one of the many agencies with send tutors once a week into kita to do 'start-up' English
...while her Irish teaching qualification will stand her very well (and put her a hed and shoulders above omst of the chancers who take a go at doing teaching English here, out of desperation), they may want experience or prior training in TEFL, (although many agencies do also offer prior training (which you don't get paid for, and they can decide not to take you at the end if your not suitable, fair enough)
...also it is can be rather late to find work teaching in a kita or school (or with an agency, who hire typically in August for a 1 year freelance contract) , as will be almost a month into the school year, and most places are sorted by now. keep looking though. My advice is look for work from day one (ok, day two) of arrival, don't 'chill' for a few weeks first, you can chill when you know the paychecks are going to come in. In Berlin its very easy to fall into the rythme of doing nothing, as so many seem to be doing that and surviving (probably trustafarians).

Don't mean to be pessimistic, just realistic...it took me about 1 year and a half to get settled and financially solvent (kind of..) here (and I've seen a couple of Paddies in the last 3 years come over all bright eyed then return penniless to the auld sod within a year or less), so trying to give you a bit of the benefit of my experience (and others),
It may be a great city, but it surely isnt utopia or the land of opportuntiy, especially if you don't already have some work lined up, or you speak decent German.

Best of luck to you anyway!!

Thanks a lot for the help. appreciate it. Just to clarify - You don't have anything available until January? or are you saying the 1st place is available?.

Il be working from home but the girlfriend needs to find work. She is a primary school teacher. She has been looking on toytown and stuff all right. cheers for the links.

Cheers, passing all this stuff on to the girlfriend. She has been reading lots of forums and has found people generally of the same opinion as yourself ie. It's gonna be tough.

anyway with my work and some savings we can give it a go for a while and see how it goes. cheers for the help.

nice spot. south of there is cheaper (neukölln/treptow), but then cheap is a relative idea, i suppose. might also be worth getting a place for a month or six weeks or so to tide you over while you find your 'real' flat, if that makes sense.

got offered a sublet here - Böckhstraße - Kreuzberg. Near enough to you I presume? ok area?

nice spot. south of there is cheaper (neukölln/treptow), but then cheap is a relative idea, i suppose. might also be worth getting a place for a month or six weeks or so to tide you over while you find your 'real' flat, if that makes sense.

grand area there just over the canal, and within walking distance of Kotti and the nice cafe/bar area. When you locate maybe we can have a meet up , with taubi too...haven't seen you in ages man!

What he said about it being cheaper a little more south is very true, by the way, for more long term prospects. NK is sit very well connectect transport wise, and an interesting area.

good luck with it
CP

Hi Folks,
Im off to Berlin just before Paddys day. Any good gig venues that have good local acts? Any veggie recommendations? especially for a nice veggie breakfast. Im staying in Bayreuther StraĂźe. Any must see places besides the obvious?

There is not too much exciting going on in the direct environs of Brandenburg, you need to go a bit further afield, so maybe not a day trip type thing.

However, if you appreciate a bit of old fashion beauty and fancy a breather from the partying and urban environment of Berlin, then an afternoon in Sanssouci (sprawling 18th century gardens and several palaces) is pretty good for a walk around. You can get there with a normal S-bahn commuter train to Postdam station then a local bus for a few minutes. The gardens are free, you have to pay if you want to go into any of the palaces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back