Begging at the Luas Stop (1 Viewer)

is there any reason why anyone needs to beg in 21st century ireland? serious question.

maybe if they are legally not allowed to be in the country they can't, or think they can't, go to any agency for food or help.

I mean, its not as if Simon Community care though. I dunno.
It generates money. I'd say that's essentially the only thing certain people give a shit about. If there was some way that the kids could generate more money, I'd imagine they'd have them off doing that.

Someone should make a film about their life as a Roma person in Europe.

Dart begging is only acceptable from Pearse Street to Raheny.

Dart begging is a new one for me.
Exciting times.

Do they have no legs and scoot up and down the center isle on their hands that have no fingers pushing a battered stainless steel dog bowl with some change in it and smell like they have been dead for quite a while?

I mean, its not as if Simon Community care though.

They did care though. I recently spoke to a Simon worker who said during the height of immigration to Ireland Simon were accepting everyone to their hostels/services. The govt made some rumblings about curtailing funding if it was going to be used for undocumented immigrants. They did consider it because they are essentially fucked without that kind of funding. They eventually took a stand and said they would not refuse anyone, regardless of legal status. The won out in the end.

Dart begging is a new one for me.
Exciting times.

Do they have no legs and scoot up and down the center isle on their hands that have no fingers pushing a battered stainless steel dog bowl with some change in it and smell like they have been dead for quite a while?

DART begging is different though. Like, at Tara St, when you give them your money you get a small little plastic bag containing a white powdery substance in return. LUAS beggars don't give you anything at all only abuse.

what is it that makes people uncomfortable about begging?

The fact it's a manifestation of human inequality, live and in stereo?

The not understanding the situations/circumstances that put people in the position where they have to beg?

etc

this has nothing to do with the luas but last night outside the Onboard party a beggar asked me for money. i was e200 overdrawn at the time and had about six 1 cent coins on me.

funny :)

I hate the look as if you are lying. Kills me. Last couple months I've been in a bit of financial pickle, which is just now sorting itself out. There were times where I had no change let alone change to spare. They always looked at me like I was a snobbish bitch. Ugh.

In Boston, I had to walk through Harvard Square to get to work every morning. There were a stream of homeless people and I started storing bits of change in every pocket so I had a bit for each without having to pull out my wallet. Everyone thought I was insane but I felt terrible just walking by.

Has anyone noticed the recent enough appearance of a group of kids (I think there are 3 of them) no older than 7 or 8 begging at the Luas stop at St. Stephen's Green? There's no sign of any adults around and they are there at random times and often during school hours. I've seen the women with their babies begging around town but I've never seen such young, seemingly unsupervised kids doing it.
they're feckin little robbers as well. usually down around the stop on mid abbey st too.
bloody street urchins.

They did care though. I recently spoke to a Simon worker who said during the height of immigration to Ireland Simon were accepting everyone to their hostels/services. The govt made some rumblings about curtailing funding if it was going to be used for undocumented immigrants. They did consider it because they are essentially fucked without that kind of funding. They eventually took a stand and said they would not refuse anyone, regardless of legal status. The won out in the end.

Oh yeah? I wasn't aware of that.

Back in my day, just after the Easter uprising etc, there were fuck all illegal people in Ireland full stop. It might have been difficult to be illegal in Ireland back then.

There might have been one or two foreigners getting a dig out, and no one even thought to inquire as to their immigration status.

(Nice one broken arm. I was hoping someone would post up something...)

what is it that makes people uncomfortable about begging?

The fact it's a manifestation of human inequality, live and in stereo?

The not understanding the situations/circumstances that put people in the position where they have to beg?

etc
it's a post colonial hangover, it reminds us of a time when the yoke of english imperialism caused us all to take on our oppressors tongue and go to them, cap in hand, begging for our own potatoes back.

either that or being hassled by some smelly cunt who can't be bothered to get a job is a pain in the jip.

one or the other.

it's a post colonial hangover, it reminds us of a time when the yoke of english imperialism caused us all to take on our oppressors tongue and go to them, cap in hand, begging for our own potatoes back.

either that or being hassled by some smelly cunt who can't be bothered to get a job is a pain in the jip.

one or the other.

classic dip.

sieg heil

Leaving aside the rights and wrongs of begging and the dire situation people can and do find themselves in, I imagine that many people who are less streetwise/streetconfident must find encountering people begging at atms while they are withdrawing cash quite intimidating, intentionally or not.

(Nice one broken arm. I was hoping someone would post up something...)

some snippets from Latcho Drom - including taraf de haidouks

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back