dudley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Right, it'll undoubtedly be a huge success, but it's not impressed me at all.

Granted, I'm running it in on archaic hardware, an iPad 2, but it's *very* slow. Freezes all the time when playing and often gets stuck when trying to browse through a catalogue. Spotify just works perfectly on the same device.

It's not even available for my antique iphone 4 (yeah yeah), and I know Apple hate showing even the slightest hint of support or love to older devices, but again Spotify works perfectly for me on that phone. I don't think I'm the only person left on the planet with an old iphone so it seems bizarre they would ignore these customers.

Anyway, Apple will doubtlessly crush and kill all it's competitors, but until they do I'll stick with good old Spotify.

I'm heavily invested in Spotify so jumping ship to Apple music is going to take a huge amount of persuasion. Spotify has a client for pretty much everything and has nice integration with amps/stereo systems with the Spotify Connect feature which just beats AirPlay in my opinion.

Not that I'm going to actually listen to the Beat 1 radio station, I think it's pretty cool that there exists a global live streaming service with some reputable DJs, it's MTV again except live streaming is killing the video and radio star. Reading some criticism yesterday from tech pundits on Beats 1, they were complaining that the diversity of music was off-putting (folk song followed by a dance track!) and some people couldn't quite get Zane Lowe (can't stand him personally but think he's a good choice as he's a total hype-beast about music in general).

I'm giving the trial a go but I already don't like the interface on the phone. It won't run on my iMac because I'm keeping an old OS on there.

ok so I'm giving this a go. I set up family sharing and opened a family account, turned off auto renew.
First up it presented me with some decent preloaded playlists of Thrash and BOWBHM. I immediately went on an hour of listening to Sweet deep cuts then thought of some albums that were on my to-buy list and started streaming the new Mountain Goats album. Then we searched for Jimmy Eat World because the lads love the two albums we have here but i can never find any of their other LPs. We were presented with a nice loaded playlist "an introduction to Jimmy Eat World", that'll do, we thought. Then herself decided she wanted some jazz so we searched "jazz" and there are loads of playlists that seem well put together.
So it has been fun and it has sounded ok. At no point however did I feel like I was supporting the artists I was streaming and I felt no investment in the music. Quite a few times then playback stopped, annoying. Another few times the bluetooth connection to the stereo dropped and had to be restarted. Mega annoying. Too much technology involved to just listen to music. I can't imagine living like this full time, what if you're throwing a party (as if) and the upc dies (which it does) also the wifi on the new horizon box is crap. Again, too much tech for something simple.
I'm sure all your hardened Spotify users will read this an scoff but I have resisted all this craic. I'll make use of this until October but I doubt I'll be committing to another bill.

how much is it? i like my spotify.
€9.99 for a single account or €14.99 for family sharing (think that's up to 5 people).

Apple will end up reducing the current 3 month trial offer down to 1 month in Autumn so if you're looking for a gander, get in sooner rather than later. Warning though, Spotify is way better.

The amount of people they're hiring as DJ's (Zane Lowe, Dr Dre, Disclosure, Josh Homme, Pharrell, Annie Clark, Ezra Koenig, Drake), they're really throwing money at this.

WTF are you on about, Ezra Koenig rules, he's in both my top 5 current rockstars and top 5 twitterers

So I'm listening to the "Metal Party" playlist and things sound weird, Caught In A Mosh sounds like it's speeded up and the guitar solo sounds different. Then Hanger 18 comes on and it's the poxy remixed version.... arrrgh.
Why can't things be the same....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back