anyone hear newstalk this morn, i think a junkie may have declared war! (2 Viewers)

Just sayin that letting them “Just go a clinic” isn’t a great idea really. At all.

I wasn't saying that either- I was answering the question ""why aren't they allowed to go to a pharmacy like regular punters?"

I have no alternative solution though

there's a difference between profiting and profiteering.

pharmacies in ireland are an anachronism; they are a regulated business (and with good reason, seeing as a lot of what they sell could be harmful or fatal if taken by the wrong person), but the pharmacists have used this situation to their advantage to create and maintain a cartel which can charge, essentially, whatever they think they can get away with. they don't have to fear the open market, where another pharmacist down the road is cheaper. so they gouge people. that's not a 'normal' business, and it shouldn't be treated as one.

Setting up an environment whereby a public service (providing methadone or whatever) is expected to be operated by the private sector at a loss is a daft way to expect something to operate.

However it seems the HSE thinks this is the best way to run the whole thing.

Either provide it from source, possibly at a loss to the exchequer, or pay the private operators a profit.

Common sense innit.

Hello. Thanks for the vibes, I was quite naive about the political situation before reading this thread:

Ahem...There's close to 15000 heroin addicts in this country, approximately half of whom are on methadone. I appreciate that some drug-users do some shitty things, but it's not all of them, by any stretch of the imagination, and many of those who do rob people try to get better. I realise that people have suffered because of other people's addictions (Lavajonation that's cool of you to share your situation), but tarring all heroin addicts or recovering heroin addicts with some scumbag junkie brush serves no purpose than to further demonise people who are in a pretty crappy situation already. Also, drug-users are not the only people who commit robberies and crimes. It's really cool to see so many people showing such understanding on this thread but. Ahem.

I don't really know about the political aspect of this beyond what I've read on this thread but I suspect that pharmacists are picking on a very disempowered group (lots and lots of people get their 'free' medication dispensed by pharmacists, not just people on methadone) against whom it is easy to rouse public opinion/fear to gain support for some other motive. I may be wrong.

It’s an aside, but just to confirm that people who have their methadone dispensed by pharmacists are generally doing well, and not relapsing on heroin (there are exceptions of course). People who are using while on methadone (there is often a period of overlap) will generally have to be given the methadone in a supervised medical environment (i.e. clinics) by staff who have higher levels of responsibility to them. What Jane and Gav said- Having to go to busy clinics is a major relapse trigger for loads of people who are off heroin. Who here hasn't been offered gear walking near the support services for drug users in the city (Christchurch/Pearse st.)? Ya lookin? It’s such a ridiculously obvious and dangerous opportunity for relapse in the early stages of recovery. In my experience, a priority in working with people on relapse prevention would be advocating a move for them from the inner city clinics to a satellite one or a local chemist where there’d be less traffic, and fewer active users. It’s like staying away from the boozer if you’re trying to give up booze or fags. It’s vital to remove yourself from temptation. This choice shouldn’t be a luxury for people who are trying to give up drugs.

look folks, it's about time we gave something back to the junkies. it's just take take take with us celtic tiger pups. come on. leave your back door unlocked tonight. for the kids.

peace out.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back