GIL SCOTT HERON - live show at Tripod - Sun 2nd May (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com

Iconic American poet, author, and singer-songwriter GIL SCOTT-HERON is set for a headline show at TRIPOD on Sunday May 2nd- his first Dublin show since 2000's sold out event at Vicar St.

Without doubt one of the most important voices in 20th Century music, Scott-Heron returns following the release last month of the incredible "I'm New Here", his first album in 13 years.

Scott-Heron will also be taking part in a spoken word discussion on Saturday 1st May is part of the Mindfield Festival. Further details to be announced.

**Tickets on sale now**

"..a stentorian and bracing blast of reality" **** IRISH TIMES
"Powerful stuff" **** IRISH INDEPENDENT
"Gil Scott-Heron returns with a corking new album to rival anything from his 1970s heyday" **** TOTALLY DUBLIN
"..he gets plenty off his chest in this wonderul come back album"**** HOTPRESS

POD presents
GIL SCOTT-HERON
with his band AMNESIA EXPRESS

Sunday May 2nd
Tripod – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm
Tickets €25.50/32.50 available from Ticketmaster, City Discs, Road Records and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.gilscottheron.net

GIL SCOTT-HERON ‘I’M NEW HERE’
THE NEW ALBUM RELEASED ON 8TH FEBRUARY 2010 ON XL RECORDINGS
Without doubt one of the most important voices in 20th century music, Gil Scott-Heron has been called a Vietnam-era Langston Hughes, a proto-rap pioneer, and - offensively but not inaccurately - the black Bob Dylan, someone whose unfailingly sharp and ironic eye spared neither black-power phonies or scheming presidents. In 1971 he laid out the blueprint for the whole rap genre with his slinky, bad-as-fuck anthem “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised” – on which the then 23 year old poetically dismantled the entire 70s culture – while throughout a career spanning five decades, Scott-Heron’s deep, soulful voice spoke of nukes, Reaganomics or apartheid, always from deep inside the tradition.
“There are 500 shades of the blues,” he told a club audience on ‘74’s Winter In America. “There’s the I-ain’t-got-me-no-money blues. There’s the I-ain’t-got-me-no-woman-blues. There’s the I-ain’t-got-me-no-money-and-I ain’t-got-me-no-woman-blues - which is the double blues.” Back then, the club crowd laughed and singer-poet went into a razor-sharp satire of Nixon’s rogue’s gallery. Now, thirty-six years later - after hip-hop’s total corporatisation of spoken-word, the nation’s rightward lurch, and his own troubled path through jails and addiction – Gil Scott-Heron could easily sing his own brand of blues: The I-can-out-rhyme-Kanye-West, I-can-out-write-Cormac-McCarthy, I’m-a-60-year-old, ex-con genius blues. And we might reasonably assume that I’m New Here, his first album in 13 years, will reflect the bitterest man on earth.
Ten seconds of the title track sets things straight. “I did not become someone different,” he declares with gnomic gravity. “That I did not want to be.” He speaks a few more lines over the nodding acoustic guitar of Pat Sullivan, from Oakley Hall, then, giving it the full weight of 60 hard years, gently the hopeful chorus: “No matter how wrong you gone/You can always turn around.”
It’s one of many highlights on an album that sees Gil Scott-Heron sounding as vital as ever; a record that reveals something unexpected at every turn; one that sees Scott-Heron pushing, probing and testing the boundaries just as he always has. Alongside his I’m New Here collaborator – producer and XL Recordings head Richard Russell – Scott-Heron has made an album that eschews the cosy arrangements and retrospective leanings one might expect from an artist over forty years into their career. Instead. I’m New Here sees Gil Scott-Heron still looking forward, still challenging conventions and expectations.
On much of I’m New Here, Scott-Heron reflects on his life and this moment with his trademark vocal power and insight, sharing his visions among Russell’s flickering, electronic soundscapes which at various times conjure up thoughts of Burial and The xx, as well as a host of hip-hop influenced sounds. Against the low, buzzing miasma of “Crutch,” Scott-Heron observes a sidewalk junkie from both inside the addict’s head and out: “His eyes half-closed reveal his world of nod/A world of lonely men and no love, no God…” Against the metallic pulse of “Running,” he narrates a cold-sweat, 3 a.m. epiphany: “Because it’s easier to run/Easier than staying and finding out you’re the only one/Who didn’t run.” And, on the blues holler of future single “New York City is Killing Me,” he manages to sound like a raw-throated blues singer from a ‘30’s field recording and an existential narrator trapped in some post-industrial wasteland. Occasionally the electronics are stripped right back – as they are on the beautiful, heartfelt “I’ll Take Care Of You” – or on “I’m New Here”, a cover of indie-band Smog, of all things, where Scott-Heron’s weathered baritone completely owns the lyrics, transforming them with the force of own history. At other times in stark contrast, they’re ramped right up – just listen to the crashing, hip-hop beat and primal vocal boom of “Me And The Devil”. Elsewhere, along with brief ruminations and tape-recorded insights, Scott-Heron sings over the airy, funk arrangements that recall his ‘70s work, given a modern day reboot by Russell. But through all of it runs the thoughtful, provocative and still rebellious voice of Gil Scott-Heron.
Long after bringing the ‘90s British rave scene into global fame with The Prodigy, XL head Richard Russell has become arguably the most groundbreaking independent force in the music industry, releasing records by everyone from The White Stripes, to M.I.A. to Devendra Banhart, Vampire Weekend, Dizzee Rascal and Radiohead. Connect those dots and you get a good sense of why Russell first made contact with Gil Scott-Heron In Rikers Islands Prison Facility in June 2006 with the proposal of making a new album together. Russell has been an occasional artist and producer throughout his time as a label head and the possibility of collaborating musically with a personal hero was too exciting to ignore. It would turn out be an ideal fit for Scott-Heron too, as an artist who has remained consistently relevant throughout his life and lately, almost too much so. He now looks out on an America much like the one he saw in the Nixon-Reagan eras, only with the volume cranked. The 2000 election victory was a cartoon of Reagan’s pseudo-populist triumph in 1980 (which then prompted Scott-Heron’s song “B Movie.”) The economic meltdown is a disaster-film ‘70s recession. Iraq is a crack-buzzed Vietnam. The revolution will be streamed.
But on I’m New Here, which was started in 2007 but mostly recorded in New York over the last twelve months, Scott-Heron speaks less as prophet of doom than as the empathic social portraitist of ‘70 songs like “Peace Go With You Brother,” or “Your Daddy Loves You.” On “I’m New Here,” or “On Coming From a Broken Home,” you hear the huge, banged-up heart that shows the only genuine motivation any activist or artist should have, a bone-deep, unsentimental love for humanity. “If I hadn’t been as eccentric as obnoxious as arrogant as aggressive as disrespectful as selfish, I wouldn’t be me,” he says, on one brief interlude. “I wouldn’t be who I am.”
And who is exactly is that? Is Gil Scott-Heron - as they’ve said about everyone from the Last Poets to Lou Reed - the founding father of rap? No at all. Just the smart rap. Just the soulful, socially aware, verbally dexterous style of artists like Public Enemy, Mos Def, and Kanye West, who, born in 1977 and raised by an English prof mom, probably heard Gil Scott-Heron before he heard the Sugar Hill Gang and later, like countless other rappers, sampled him. (Scott-Heron returns the favor by borrowing some from West’s “Flashing Lights” for the misty backdrop to “On Coming From a Broken Home.”) But this songwriter is also well represented in the sharp, honest songwriters in today’s indie- and folk-rock margins and there’s the slightly ominous possibility, hinted at in the second chorus of “I’m New Here,” that Gil Scott-Heron now, after a 40-year-career, may be hipper than any of them: “Turn around, turn around, turn around,” he gently sings. “You may come full circle/And be new here/Again.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back