anyone hear newstalk this morn, i think a junkie may have declared war! (1 Viewer)

I strongly agree with the first part of that post. Pharmacisies aren't charities.

they aren't charities, but they aren't 'normal' businesses, either. they're a profiteering cartel, and portraying them as nice little run-of-the-mill businesses is pretty misleading.

My point exactly!

Heard some of the undead on the radio yesterday evening. One person who sounded like a 70 year old granny, turned out to be a 22 year old male. Offer em euthanasia.
if they can summon the gumption to phone a radio chat show, they can get themselves down to fas and get a freaking job. that'll straighten them.

Hang on a sec... (I know I'm going to be crucified for this but...)

Are you saying that pharmacists, who run legitimate businesses, shouldn't be expected to make profits? That doesn't sound right to me. People go into business to make money. Also, I'm sure dealing with drug addicts/users isn't the nicest/safest thing to do -- maybe the pharmacists think a little profit would make the hassle of dealing with strung out scumbag junkies a little bit easier to swallow?

I do have a bit of sympathy for the junkies, but they are where they are because of personal choice. Yes, sending them to a clinic may make them feel stigmatised, but guess what, they are already stigmatised when people see them on the street and suss them out for heroin junkies.

I'm pretty uninformed. I'm with you on the legitimate business point. But in my expeirience the way some pharmisicsts do business can be pretty extortionate at times. Some of them shop out their dividends, and quite a few Gp's i know of all have shares in their local pharmacies. It smells funny.

That said, a department as badly organised and run as the Health service will inevitably run into this kind of beef with private businesses in the medical sector. And given their stance on other issues over the past 3 years i'm not holdong my breath over a speedy resolution, so like i said; drowning in assholes etc..

and that personal choice thing? Pft. Heroin does'nt just cater for the indecisive. Heroin's a cunt, and regardless of an individuals reasons or circumstances for using, every effort should be made to get them off it; wheather they want to or no.

they aren't charities, but they aren't 'normal' businesses, either. they're a profiteering cartel, and portraying them as nice little run-of-the-mill businesses is pretty misleading.
seems to me, s, that the "junkies" need a complete p.r. make over. there's your problem, public perception. we should have a "bring a junkie to dinner" campaign, for christmas. if the ordinary joe got to spend just a little time in the company of a recovering drug addict, they'd soon see that they're no different from you or i. i recommend we get frank lampards image team in on this.

she has a new man according to the cover of some magazine. give it up j.stress, you'll never be glenda'd

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I'm playing a gig at the end of the month with her..we'll soon see about that

Well I don't think they should be expected to not make profits. How are they profiteering any more than say, general practice doctors or builders, etc. etc.? You're making them out to be evil.

Hang on a sec... (I know I'm going to be crucified for this but...)

Are you saying that pharmacists, who run legitimate businesses, shouldn't be expected to make profits? That doesn't sound right to me. People go into business to make money. Also, I'm sure dealing with drug addicts/users isn't the nicest/safest thing to do -- maybe the pharmacists think a little profit would make the hassle of dealing with strung out scumbag junkies a little bit easier to swallow?

I do have a bit of sympathy for the junkies, but they are where they are because of personal choice. Yes, sending them to a clinic may make them feel stigmatised, but guess what, they are already stigmatised when people see them on the street and suss them out for heroin junkies.

The people who go to pharmacies for methadone aren't the ones strung out on the street for obvious reasons. Many of them work full time and pay taxes.

seems to me, s, that the "junkies" need a complete p.r. make over. there's your problem, public perception. we should have a "bring a junkie to dinner" campaign, for christmas. if the ordinary joe got to spend just a little time in the company of a recovering drug addict, they'd soon see that they're no different from you or i. i recommend we get frank lampards image team in on this.

"heroin give you the power to change"

I'm going to work. This thread better be up, running and evenly paced when i get back. and if anyone even so much as dares to mention the word feminism there'll be hell to pay.

That's a very good point. I just wonder why they can't go to a clinic. Maybe it should be seen as one of the many consequences of their addiction?

That’s been covered already. Recovering addicts can’t be hanging out with the people they got high with, especially if those people have no interest in quitting.

Why can’t all the addicts go to pharmacies?? Surely that would make more sense.

That’s been covered already. Recovering addicts can’t be hanging out with the people they got high with, especially if those people have no interest in quitting.

Why can’t all the addicts go to pharmacies?? Surely that would make more sense.
shouldn't there be a tesco brand?

Well I don't think they should be expected to not make profits. How are they profiteering any more than say, general practice doctors or builders, etc. etc.? You're making them out to be evil.

there's a difference between profiting and profiteering.

pharmacies in ireland are an anachronism; they are a regulated business (and with good reason, seeing as a lot of what they sell could be harmful or fatal if taken by the wrong person), but the pharmacists have used this situation to their advantage to create and maintain a cartel which can charge, essentially, whatever they think they can get away with. they don't have to fear the open market, where another pharmacist down the road is cheaper. so they gouge people. that's not a 'normal' business, and it shouldn't be treated as one.

and that personal choice thing? Pft. Heroin does'nt just cater for the indecisive. Heroin's a cunt, and regardless of an individuals reasons or circumstances for using, every effort should be made to get them off it; wheather they want to or no.

I'm not saying heroin's not vile. But a certain amount of responsibility lies with the addicts themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back