anyone else working on christmas day? (1 Viewer)

A5902.jpg

I'm working an overnight on my birthday and an overnight on christmas eve, finish at ten on christmas morning. It's kind of depressing. Not as depressing as it is for my clients* I'm sure.

*once again, to reiterate, I'm not a prostitute, I work with people in crappy life-situations.

is that air traffic control??

Its the Old Terminal Building at Dublin Airport, sadly its mainly full of offices now though the lower section is used as part of Pier A. The tower cab on top is the old tower, no longer used (but maintained for contingency purposes). We're over beside the fire station now.

i hope arsenal dont draw shelbourne in the champions league next season

Goons have to qualify first...Shels are there as of right.

Its the Old Terminal Building at Dublin Airport, sadly its mainly full of offices now though the lower section is used as part of Pier A. The tower cab on top is the old tower, no longer used (but maintained for contingency purposes). We're over beside the fire station now.

you work in air traffic control?deadly.

you work in air traffic control?deadly.

anyone old enough to remember this?

http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/Aviation/Disasters/77-03-27(Tenerife).asp said:
ATC: "OK. Standby for takeoff. I will call you."
Pan Am: "We are still taxiing down the runway!"

Tragically, the KLM only heard the "OK" but never heard the rest of what the ATC said nor the Pan Am's subsequent message (as confirmed by the CVR tape) as the Pan Am and ATC were speaking at the same time.
The wheels were literally in motion for this accident to occur and the missed message was the last chance to avoid it. With Captain Van Zanten and First Officer Meurs busy 20 seconds into takeoff, only KLM Flight Officer Willem Schreuder listened to the rest of the exchange:

ATC: "Roger. Pan Am 1736, report the runway clear."
Pan Am: "OK. Will report when we are clear."
ATC: "Thank you."

An alarmed Schreuder then asked "Did he not clear the runway then?" "Oh yes" was van Zanten's reply as the captain continued his fateful takeoff. The Pan Am, which had missed the third taxiway and was now approaching the forth when Captain Grubbs said "Let's get the hell right out of here." "Yeah ... he's anxious, isn't he?" replied Warns and then added, "After he's held us up for all this time - now he's in a rush."

Just then, Grubbs saw through the fog the unmistakable image of the lights on the oncoming 747. "There he is! Look at him! Goddamn ... that son-of-a-bitch is coming!" Bragg cried out "Get off! Get off! Get off!" as Grubbs desperately pushed the throttles wide open in an attempt to get the plane off the runway.

Captain Van Zanten finally saw the Pan Am and tried to pull up. The plane became airborne but not enough to completely miss the Pan Am. It sheered off the top of the other 747 then remained airborne another 500 feet before hitting the runway and bursting into flames.

tenerife_im4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back