analog concerts (4 Viewers)

was there even 40?seriously?
it was a pile of wank as far as im concerned, im sure im in the minority but WATCHING that many guitarists play e minor did nothing for me, it wasnt near loud enough and had very little impact on anyone around me. If i was playing i wouldve probably enjoyed it though

i too didn't enjoy this as much as i thought i would. a few reasons why:

- there weren't 100 guitarists
- it should've been a seated gig
- there should've been wine and cheese on offer
- it was all just noise to me in some parts

i did however enjoy the following:

- the animated conductor
- the drumming
- the last piece especially the way they all ended in time.

i enjoyed konono no 1 on sat night though. they were amazing. what were the instruments the 3 guys were playing though?

i kinda wished the drummer wasnt there - he just made rock music out of it really. but it probably would have been impossible for the musicians to keep track of the piece without the drummer

Exactly my thoughts. It got a bit plodding because of the drums. They could at least have been mixed a bit lower out front. By the way, the Larry David lookalike behind the kit is/was the drummer from Swans.

Thought this was great anyway. Particularly the end section.

i kinda wished the drummer wasnt there - he just made rock music out of it really. but it probably would have been impossible for the musicians to keep track of the piece without the drummer

i was thinking that it might've worked better without the drums but then i was bored by the droning of the guitars so i started enjoying the drumming more.

i still think the idea around this was very good though

Ha! I thought I was alone with my Larry David lookalike thoughts.

The funniest guy though was the guitarist who was sitting more or less two people to the left and in front of the conductor. He spent most of the first movement just grinning and laughing and then during the noisier bits was either gurning manically or screaming his head off (or seemed to be anyway). He was great.

Ha! I thought I was alone with my Larry David lookalike thoughts.

Me too, shame I had no faith in my 'Go on Larry!' chant catching on during his applause.

Thought this would've been great in a decent indoor venue, and a fair bit louder. I'm guessing the drumming wouldn't have been so intrusive with the right amount of guitarists.
Anyone else spot the banner typo? Bet Branca was well pleased to get 43 out of 100 guitarists playing 'Halluncination City'.

Konono were bloody great though.

Thought this would've been great in a decent indoor venue, and a fair bit louder. I'm guessing the drumming wouldn't have been so intrusive with the right amount of guitarists.

I dunno about this. Except for the second movement (which I liked*) and the very end of the fourth movement, I though the whole piece was pretty pedestrian, and I don't know if more guitarists would have made a huge difference.

Anyone else spot the banner typo? Bet Branca was well pleased to get 43 out of 100 guitarists playing 'Halluncination City'.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. Pretty shoddy.

Konono were bloody great though.

Totally in agreement with you there. One of the best gigs I've seen so far this year...

*Ironically, according to a friend of mine who was one of the guitarists, Branca's probably gonna drop the second movement entirely...

I quite enjoyed this without being blown away, which is what i had hoped to be. As has been said it could have been a lot louder. It remined me of the band Tone in a lot of places, not surprising i suppose considering Tone have five guitarists. I was surprised that they could get closer to the 100 guitarists yesterday tho.

i enjoyed konono no 1 on sat night though. they were amazing. what were the instruments the 3 guys were playing though?

"Their songs are more or less built around the ikembe (aka the mbira or thumb piano), an instrument of which Konono N°1 founder Mingiedi is a master...The music grew out of the chaos that came with independence. The Belgian Congo became the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 1960. As Belgian colonists fled, they left behind cars, many of which were cannibalized and turned into instruments by would be street musicians -- alternator magnets were used in microphones, smashed hubcaps became cymbals and old radios powered by car batteries were turned into amplifiers, and just about anything else that makes a sound when you bang on it became a percussion instrument."

KONO_vincent_kenis2.jpg

was just wondering, why was there a warning on the posters and flyers claiming the branca performance was "not suitable" for those under the age of 16? i wasn't at the gig, but i found that curious...

From the way it was written I got the impression it was out of noise considerations... but I don't know. What was more curious was the fact that there were at least 2 half-pints running around like loons for the entire show.

was just wondering, why was there a warning on the posters and flyers claiming the branca performance was "not suitable" for those under the age of 16? i wasn't at the gig, but i found that curious...

i think branca was handing out rude sex drawings, unsuitable for little tykes.

Did anyone go to Cinematic Orchestra? I was absolutely gutted I didn't get tickets to see em...

yeah, t'was good fun, a little "lounge" in parts, but mostly there were an amazing bunch of proper talented musicians

sucks they couldn't get more guitarists for Brancas thing, the whole site reading thing was too big a deal, for the small cost and time it would take to TAB the score it would've, I'm sure made a huge difference to the response...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back