america is shite (2 Viewers)

Originally posted by roxy
I just alarmed myself recently when I realised the number of popular anti-american books are out there of late and in particular, the number I've found myself reading. There's Stupid White men obviously, then there's downsize this and TV nation, also both by Michael Moore. There's Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, Fast Food Nation ...

Whoa there Roxy
'Anti-American' - what the fuck does that mean? What's anti-American about criticising poverty-level work in the US? That's like saying it's anti-Irish to bitch about Bertie.

p.s. thegoone and bing - why are you posting this rubbish? You're making everyone think you are gobshites

Originally posted by Bing
There are a few decent people. Some beautiful sites, but unfortunately is fucked beyond redemption.

he's probably referring to this. you claim you're making the point from personal experience, but in reality you're just making huge generalisations about a whole race of people. You know, the ignorant racist stuff that you'd never expect to see on this board.

and thegoone: if the message was meant for aoifed, why post it on a public message board? here's an idea: use e-mail. it's far more private.

Originally posted by vertrauen
he's probably referring to this. you claim you're making the point from personal experience, but in reality you're just making huge generalisations about a whole race of people. You know, the ignorant racist stuff that you'd never expect to see on this board.

One, Americans are not a race. Two, I didn't judge America as a WHOLE. I did say there were a few good people there. I know them and you probably do to.
When I say, "America is fucked beyond redemption", it is, as a whole. Not talking about the people...the country.
Unfortunately, its the American peoples fault, for letting it get to this point.
Maybe this belongs on the politics board?

Sorry lads but if I can give my 2c, this thread is pointless. There's lots of nice people and lots of ass holes in Ireland, in America and every fucking where in the world. This is so obvious, there's no need to discuss.

Pace e Amore, A.

Originally posted by Bing
One, Americans are not a race.

Not so, at least not according to the dictionary:
race: A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

The example given there is the German race, but Bing, you can also put the American race here.

Originally posted by Damon_Kind
Right, i'm gonna try once more...

So....FINLAND eh?

i'm with you on this one...i've had enough about america this and ireland that.

all countries suck...expect for Finland.

big up for finland

Finland, Finland, Finland,
The country where I want to be,
Pony trekking or camping,
Or just watching TV.
Finland, Finland, Finland.
It's the country for me.
You're so near to Russia,
So far from Japan,
Quite a long way from Cairo,
Lots of miles from Vietnam.

The country where I want to be,
Eating breakfast or dinner,
Or snack lunch in the hall.
Finland has it all.

You're so sadly neglected
And often ignored,
A poor second to Belgium,
When going abroad.

The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

All together, Finland fans!
The country where I quite want to be,
Your mountains so lofty,
Your treetops so tall.
Finland has it all.

Finland has it all.

Originally posted by vertrauen
Not so, at least not according to the dictionary:
race: A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.

The example given there is the German race, but Bing, you can also put the American race here.

In my entire life, have never heard the term "American Race".
I guess I would compare race to ethnic origin. Ther is no common history, nationality or geographical distro. The US of the A is a melting pot of a wide variety of races.
The only American race would be the natives.
Non the less, the point I was making, is that I wasn't talking about the people. the cuntry.

If you go to Finland, and ask 25 people what race they are, agood majority will say Finnish, or Scandanavian. In America, you'll get 25 different answers. none of them being American

Yes, but only because america is such a new country. also, the nomadic tribes from lapland and the surrounding area might just disagree with you. if you were to go to america and ask them what they were, i'd say a hell of a lot of them would describe them as either (a) american or (b) something-american.

also, being so narrow in your definition of what it means to be a member of a race (ie, ethnic links) is treading on dangerous territory (although actually it's not surprising considering your previous remarks). what of an immigrant family who have irish citizenship and consider themselves irish (which would happen, at least after one or two generations) ... would you deny them that?

but, back on topic: I would say that Finland rules, although I've never been there.

Ive been to Lapland, and America, and have taken a cenus of the population. Like I say, I'm only speeking from experience.
Please go shite.
bing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back