Albums you expected to be better (1 Viewer)

I really like TRM but it wasn't as challenging as I'd have been led to believe. I think it was because I'd heard loads of stuff that it influenced.so it sounded familiar in a way,

It was still great, and I imagine it really freaked out the squares when it was released.

I had a flatmate once who was very excited about buying this after all he heard about it. He was "very disappointed" when he played it. He was sitting there shaking his head in disbelieve wondering "what the fuck is this".

I copied it for a pal who was genuinely offended that I'd subject him to what he thought was noise bordering on the offensive.

I had a nice gentle introduction to trout mask replica when John peel decided to play the entire lp in order, one track a night. Just enough to make me sit up and go wow, but in measured enough doses to not wear me out

TMR is a bit much in one go, like on a CD. I think it's probably more approachable as a double album. It took a little while for me to recognize all the genius little hooks and melodies all over the place on it. I've never warmed to anything else of his really. I must revisit. What other beefheart albums do you like?

Clear Spot is my all time fave, just the perfect 70s rock record, amazing playing, really incredible recording. Was newly remastered in a small box set called Sun Zoom Spark, along with the Spotlight kid, which is a far weaker LP and a third disc of outtakes, some of which are phenomenal.

Both versions of Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) rank up top for me too.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Picked this up on a record buying trip to London back in the day. I got into a lot of what i got into back then thanks to a tape i was given that contained a couple of Dag Nasty albums and 7 Seconds' Walk Together, Rock Together LP on it. Somewhere along the way (probably another trip to that London) I picked up 7 Seconds' older New Wind & The Crew LPs, so when I found another, newer LP in whatever that shop was down at the end of Notting Hill market that sold the not quite official hardcore hoodies, I was delighted. Then I brought it home and listened to it...Such a let down.

I mean it's not a bad album, taken on its own completely out of context of their previous output... but...

I went back to Ourselves so many times hoping to find something in it to prove me wrong. Never did. Just can't take it on its own merits.

(I think that was the trip i found a copy of the Sepultura & Overdose Bestial Devastation / Século XX split EP for Ken Blackmore in that same shop, so it wasn't all bad)

Last edited:
That makes no sense
Cocaine makes the musicians very busy and animated but completely destroys their critical faculties to the point where they think any old guff is great. This is boring music, fuelled by cocaine (they famously removed a big visible lump of cocaine from Neil Young's nostril in post-production).

Cocaine makes the musicians very busy and animated but completely destroys their critical faculties to the point where they think any old guff is great. This is boring music, fuelled by cocaine (they famously removed a big visible lump of cocaine from Neil Young's nostril in post-production).

I was referring to the two words you used one after the other. The music itself is dull shite, on that we agree.

Throwing Muses - the Real Ramona

... overly lauded, grossly underwhelming...
I feel that way about University. Very much so actually, I think No Way in Hell might be the only song on that album I ever really play.

Real Ramona is probably overpraised but it has got Hook in Her Head on it, which is one of their best ever songs. I find that "this is not a metaphor" line in it hilarious:

This woman literally
Felt she had a hook in her head

oh... literally eh? Interesting.

oh and Taylor Swift -1989

I expected it to be less laboured and scrabbling around looking for a chorus so often.

oh and Taylor Swift -1989

I expected it to be less laboured and scrabbling around looking for a chorus so often.

I listened to that because I was curious about the Ryan Adams thing and couldn't in good concience listen to his without listening to hers. 3-4 good songs on it I thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back