Ads are wrecking my head (1 Viewer)

Still doin that home page reset thing to my Firefox, after I cleared the cache and history. Works on Safari tho.

Don't know if this is related, but pressing any key before focussing on a text field seems is causing NoScript to pop up a clickjacking warning with www.google.ie as the url. Something to do with a green / red bar a few pixels wide and 150ish vertical.

Don't know if this is related, but pressing any key before focussing on a text field seems is causing NoScript to pop up a clickjacking warning with www.google.ie as the url. Something to do with a green / red bar a few pixels wide and 150ish vertical.

i can't reproduce that. are you on a mac or PC? how's your AV software looking?

Well, I finally figured out what was going on. The ad server (OpenX) was hacked and its database had some nasty stuff inserted that automatically appended a hidden iframe to some of the ads being displayed on the site. I've cleaned out the crap so all that java alerts / page scrolling around shit should stop now. I've also updated to the latest available version of OpenX which is not vulnerable to this attack.

But that's only half the problem. Some of you without the latest software / OS patches or virus definitions may have gotten infected with something nasty. All I can suggest is that you run a manual full scan with your antivirus software of choice immediately(and if you don't have any or don't trust your current AV protection you could do a lot worse than the free Microsoft Security Essentials), followed by a scan with Malwarebytes or similar.

There'll be no excuses made. A critical piece of software was running a vulnerable version and I should have stayed on top of updating it. I didn't and it was exploited. All I can do at this point is apologise.

edit: those links of course refer to Windows applications. Mac & Linux users should be ok (in theory), but I'd still run whatever scans are possible.

You certainly can. The page being loaded by the iframe in question ran a series of tests against the machine that opened it to see if vulnerable versions of applications like adobe reader, internet explorer, java, firefox, safari etc were installed, then tried to exploit whatever it found. Nasty, nasty shit.

if you've had no display problems does that mean de virus didn't get you? my spidey sense tells me that's a silly question

PS will AVG free do the job?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back