Ads are wrecking my head (1 Viewer)

Yeah AVG picked this up for me yesterday too. I noticed it was doing some funny things like attempting to run acrobat reader and launching java.

I've had some funny shit going on with Java for the last few days alright, scans are bringing up trogan horse in the system 32 folder.. can't seem to get rid of it, I'll try a few more things though

if it's being correctly identified by your antivirus software as a known trojan then the company's website will probably have removal instructions.

The ad for Kirstin Hersh's gig appears to be showing a photo of Taylor Swift

Just thought it warranted attention

My girlfriend's netbook is wrecked because of this. It wont boot up properly, and will only let you get as far a the login page before crashing, then going back to windows login.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

I did some reading up online and it appears something nasty was put into windows which Avast then decided to delete but now windows thinks some code is missing from the start up and wont boot.
Have already tried starting in safe mode and all that jazz.

make a linux boot CD / USB key and backup whatever data you need to recover to an external hard drive, then reinstall windows.

or you could try a temporary reinstall of windows on top of itself (as in DO NOT REFORMAT / REPARTITION), backup any data to an external drive then reinstall windows.

Its a pain in the hole but reinstalling windows gives you a nice new machine so chin up!

This isn't an excuse, but if your PC was vulnerable to these exploits it was only ever going to be a matter of time before you got stung somewhere.

"Enter user name and password for http://host.picturewizard.com"

I was just asked to do this via a dialogue box while browsing Thumped. How troubling. I thought I'd escaped this since I wasn't online very much lately and I'm using adblock plus.

"Enter user name and password for http://host.picturewizard.com"

I was just asked to do this via a dialogue box while browsing Thumped. How troubling. I thought I'd escaped this since I wasn't online very much lately and I'm using adblock plus.

which thread? it's possible someone has linked to a non-public image stored there.

This isn't an excuse, but if your PC was vulnerable to these exploits it was only ever going to be a matter of time before you got stung somewhere.

As far as I know my girlfriend's netbook had an up to date version of Avast running when it got infected. In the end she had to take it to the LaptopLab. Latest news is that they are unable to back up or save her data. Very nasty stuff, they were surprised that Avast didn't snuff it out.

You can use a USB linux live distro to boot the netbook & copy the files off.

Get unetbootin and it'll do it for you.

The most common attack vectors that seem to have been used were PDFs, java, IE & safari.

The java one got my pc because I hadn't upgraded it in a while, even though my AV was up to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back