A mobile thingy for work (1 Viewer)

the bongo

hello,
i have to do a thing for work, can't tell you what, cause it would make people want to kill me, but i need a mobile (like, would fit in a car or a van) thingy for sending data very fast to one location (4Mbps or higher) from far away. either from a laptop or a streaming media thingy. i've been looking at satellite communications and all that, but if anyone knows of anything else....

INMARSAT-RBGAN will give you around 140 (I think) but that's the theoretical max...

Wikipedia says that INMARSAT-BGAN will give you up to 432kbps using packet-switching, but that might not be suitable for your application (latency, reliability blah blah - in fact, that might be true for anything mobile)

I know of no mobile service that'll give you 4mbps, or anything close to it, and I work for one of the mobile providers. Have you spoken to O2/Vodafone directly yet? If you're serious about it, PM me and I'll see if I can get you a name, but I wouldn't hold out much hope that you're gonna get the answer you're looking for.

cheers for the info. i'll look into that stuff.
i'm not in ireland, so will have to find the mobile peeps for this ghastly nation.

i'm not necessarily looking for something provided by mobile phone companies, the satellite people at norsat (with all their questionable links) seem to promise 4Mbps off orbiting bits of metal. i'm looking into stuff that would be cheaper to use or simpler to employ.

i'm serious as a heart attack about this. well, maybe serious as a kidney failure.

the bongo said:
hello,
i have to do a thing for work, can't tell you what, cause it would make people want to kill me, but i need a mobile (like, would fit in a car or a van) thingy for sending data very fast to one location (4Mbps or higher) from far away. either from a laptop or a streaming media thingy. i've been looking at satellite communications and all that, but if anyone knows of anything else....
i presume line of sight is out?

would that i could use microwave and all that line of sight offers, but we could be talking about several hundred miles here, or built up areas with skyscrapers and whatnot.

the bongo said:
would that i could use microwave and all that line of sight offers, but we could be talking about several hundred miles here, or built up areas with skyscrapers and whatnot.
yeah we have some fairly decent bandwidth on our point-to-point links in work, using some microwave & some laser stuff. no good to you though.

how about bonding a few 3G links together? do any carriers offer that yet? i guess the fact that you'd need about 15 of them would make it a little impractial though.

pete said:
how about bonding a few 3G links together? do any carriers offer that yet? i guess the fact that you'd need about 15 of them would make it a little impractial though.

hmm, how would one go about doing this? could you do something like this with satellite phones?
questions, questions.

the bongo said:
hmm, how would one go about doing this? could you do something like this with satellite phones?
questions, questions.
i've no idea. was just a thought, like.

well.. something similar was done for 56k modems a few years ago. they called it shotgunning i believe. you needed two modems and two phonelines buh.

it's a stupid idea really

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back