A good Digital SLR to start with (3 Viewers)

it would have been a two month stretch to save the extra bit for a 450D so i went and got a 1000D with the 18-55mm IS lens. used my haggling skillz to da max yo!
pretty happy with it. gotta RTFM a few times now. any beginner advice would be greatly appreciated

Call over some evening and I'll give you a crash course.

There's one of those magazines/book things in Eason' etc., about getting the most from your Canon DSLR at the moment. Well worth a grab and better and more "colourful" than the manual.

Probably about the fourteen euros mark.

cheers Goff, i may try pick that up

Call over some evening and I'll give you a crash course.

might knock over some day this week if that's kosher?

yes. am reallllly happy with it.
am learning all the time. just read the shit out of the manual. get a photography book or 3 from your library and read up on advice online about other thingys.
go for it.
im delighted with minw.

cool... so as a non pro or photo fanatic I am not missing out if I get the 1000D?

500 quid is a still a shit load of money to me.

Seems like a good deal to me. I bought the 400d last year for €400 with only the kit lens. The one thing I will say is that only having one lens allows a greater opportunity to learn that lens better. I think having two might 'confuse' things a little but it's such a good price for a telephoto that i'd just go for it anyway.

cool... so as a non pro or photo fanatic I am not missing out if I get the 1000D?

500 quid is a still a shit load of money to me.
me too. i got mine for €495 with a bag and without with extra lens so maybe look around for a deal that doesn't have the bigger lens and concentrate on learning to use the camera first. the standard kit lens is pretty great. not that i have experience with any others mind you.
you may find that the next lens youll want will be something different anyway. for instance the first thing i bought was a small cheap macro lens and next on the cards is a 50mm lens.
i want to get better at photography and hopefully i will but i dont see myself getting a new camera until this one breaks or i have a good few quid to spare. either way, maybe a few years anyway.
go for it dude.

Moose, I remember your cam being a nice size: not too ridiculously bulky compared to some, any idea how the 450D compares size wise?

Same size iirc. It's the lens size that amkes all the difference though. I had a 1.8 50mm on mine when you've seen it.

As moose said, the 450D is a fantastic camera Sarah, I really loved mine and it's a step above the entry level dslrs.
I covered a 4 day feet with it last year and it held me in very good stead.

As moose said, the 450D is a fantastic camera Sarah, I really loved mine and it's a step above the entry level dslrs.
I covered a 4 day feet with it last year and it held me in very good stead.

Cheers guys! So did you notice a massive difference
in terms of weight/size when you moved to th 5dmkII from the 450D? Was it worth it for image quality? do you miss the pop up flash? Is there any point in even considering the 50D if it was a toss between the 450d and the 5d, the size difference seems pretty substantial judging by the weigh listed on dpreview....
I know I just have to go in and try em out. hhhmm,

I moved from the 450D to the 40D which is the same size as the 50D.
5D mkII is slightly bigger than the 40/50D, not much in it.
I do miss the pop up flash but the amazing ISO perfomance off sets that a bit.
Full frame is good because you get the actual lens numbers rather than the 1.6 crop, the viewfinder is so much brighter which is amazing when shooting on dark scenarios.
I still have my 40D if you want to loan it got the week?
See if ure comfy with it, if size is still key to you it may be the 450D what u will get.
I know where you can get a 2nd hand 400D for a good price with very little us and shots taken.

I moved from the 450D to the 40D which is the same size as the 50D.
5D mkII is slightly bigger than the 40/50D, not much in it.
I do miss the pop up flash but the amazing ISO perfomance off sets that a bit.
Full frame is good because you get the actual lens numbers rather than the 1.6 crop, the viewfinder is so much brighter which is amazing when shooting on dark scenarios.
I still have my 40D if you want to loan it got the week?
See if ure comfy with it, if size is still key to you it may be the 450D what u will get.
I know where you can get a 2nd hand 400D for a good price with very little us and shots taken.

Thanks for the answer and the offer! My housemate actually has the 40D so gonna get a loan of that for a bit and give it a good go!

Had bout the G20 to have a little camera to carry around and realised I actually wanted to start playing around with lenses instead. Or maybe I just want what I don't have :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back