Ирландия против России (1 Viewer)

I would say we fluked it. Belgium were damn good - WC 86 semi-finalists good. And we drew with then away with a last minute peno (lucky) and dragged through a 0-0 at home. I was at all those games - the Luxembourg game was end to end, but it shouldn't have been for fuck sake and Paul McGrath saved our bacon. We did well to win in Scotland but were not the better team on the night.
Don't get me wrong - the 88 qualifier team was Ireland's best ever - but it was a fluke as we needed Scotland to beat Bulgaria away - NOBODY expected Scotland to win that.

Those are pretty much exactly my thoughts every time I think of the fact that the French got into the last World Cup - "Even we probably wouldn't have been as shit as that!"

I can say definitively we would have not have been nearly as shit as France were in the World Cup. Not a fucking chance. They were practically the biggest disgrace in the history of the tournament, barring several other major disgraces such as Harald Schumacher, Germany vs Austria and that Kuwait lad running on the pitch to name a few. Come to think of it the 1982 World Cup was laden with disgraces as much as it was with short shorts.

What about Ireland - Holland in 1990? Haha
No one complains about that because we did everyone a favour by agreeing to not let Egypt through. Plus the games were played at the same time. And the groups were stupid. And three teams went through and we had to draw lots with Netherlands. Plenty different to knowing exactly what result to concont prior to kick off and then managing that because the other teams game had already been played (ahem, Argentina vs Peru 1978).

Time to start the Thumped build up for Friday. It might be a positive thing that we have Andorra first up so the players can figure out the whole ball go in goal thing before Armenia. Realistically speaking, we are looking at the Russians getting the win or draw they need against the Slovaks, us doing just about enough and then losing in a playoff. But then again this group has been topsy turvy so who knows.

Was looking to see if ITV are showing England-Montenegro but they are showing Spain-Czech Republic on ITV 4 instead which might be worth watching. Would really love to see England beaten in Podgorica if only to hear the hilarious media reaction.

Time to start the Thumped build up for Friday. It might be a positive thing that we have Andorra first up so the players can figure out the whole ball go in goal thing before Armenia. Realistically speaking, we are looking at the Russians getting the win or draw they need against the Slovaks, us doing just about enough and then losing in a playoff. But then again this group has been topsy turvy so who knows.

Like the bandwagoning scumbag that I am I'm going on Tuesday, it'll be my first game since the pre-2006 warm up against Italy, after which I tipped Italy to win the whole thing (don't think they were great that day, I think it was just liking the squad they had at the time). This might mean that Germany and Spain are fucked next year and Armenia will take the whole thing.

I haven't seen Ireland win a match live in over a decade.

Like the bandwagoning scumbag that I am I'm going on Tuesday, it'll be my first game since the pre-2006 warm up against Italy, after which I tipped Italy to win the whole thing (don't think they were great that day, I think it was just liking the squad they had at the time). This might mean that Germany and Spain are fucked next year and Armenia will take the whole thing.

I haven't seen Ireland win a match live in over a decade.

Went to Ireland vs Cyprus in the last one. Keane scored after a minute and from then on we shat ourselves until the final whistle. A glorious affair! My only previous game before that was a pre 1998 World Cup warm up against Mexico in Lansdowne where I spent the whole day thinking that Steven Staunton had turned into an incredible dribblng left wing before realising it was Damo Duff. 0-0. Campos' jersey was the highlight in a dull dull game.

My prediction. Beat Andorra, draw 0-0 nervily with Armenia to land in the playoffs.

I have to wrestle my season ticket back off my sister. Once that's done I'll be skulling pints with my auld fella and then stumbling in to drink whiskey from a hip flask before crawling back for more pints and finally setting the world to rights by eulogising the careers of Roy Keane and Liam Brady then waking up at home with no clue how i got there. Prediction is two impressive defensive displays 2-0 in andorra and 1-0 against Armenia. Russia make a balls of it and I take wednesday off work.

C'Mon the Lads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back