Dave Fanning (1 Viewer)

he used to play 'Dream All Day' by the Posies a good bit around the late 90s, so I guess he's the reason I sought them out and 'Frosting on the beater' ended up being one of my most cherished and listened to records during my teens.

I get very nostalgic for 1997/98 school year.

Remember Planet Rock Profiles? He talked to Dave Grohl back when he seemed like less of an asshole.

Yiz should hear him rant about Franz Ferdinand. Fookin hilarious. He hates em. His story about that 80s Late Late Show Bucking Bronco incident is class too.

2TV,
geared for the teenage pop audience but it had its fair share of decent stuff too, top 10 indie records of the week etc

The Beat Box used to play Sugar's If I Can't Change Your Mind every week for a while too. That was great. I love Dave Fanning. I was introduced to him once by a friend who knows him and she was mad embarrassed cos I was like, 'ooh, erhheheh, eh, heehehe, hi dave [aside:I love you]). He's great and I think he is definitely underused in that weird drivetime package thing on rte1 and possibly a bit bored. He did a deadly interview with Tony Visconti a while back though.

i know someone who got an apologetic text from dave fanning after that heavy metal crowd won the eurovision.
their metal band had entered the irish competition, and were loved by the judges, but they were not selected because "there's no way a metal band would win eurovision".

Cypress Mine
The Fireflys
The Malfunctions
That Limerick band who sang Tunnel Vision

Listened to him a fair bit all through secondary school in the 1980s. Then John Peel while in bed.
Fanning had better reception than Peel but Peel's shows had the edge in quality tunes.
Still, have some great tapes from Fanning's show, particularly the 1987-89 era.

During his Fab 50 which I used to record religiously there was a newsflash for the Lockerbie disaster. 1988.
Think I still have that one somewhere.

he was great back in the 80s and a more accessible ( due to dodgy reception in dublin 15 to bbc radio 1) outlet for hearing new indie music than peelie.

he seems like a bit of an old rte hack these days though along with marty and gerry and gaybo etc.

he suffered badly from RTE's penchant of spreading popular broadcasters too thin; cf. yer man mooney, who's good on mooney goes wild, but doesn't work quite as well on other shows.

he suffered badly from RTE's penchant of spreading popular broadcasters too thin; cf. yer man mooney, who's good on mooney goes wild, but doesn't work quite as well on other shows.

totally. although however fanning still beats the shit out of the current crop of rte presenters. tired hacks in the making all.

DIDN'T HE PLAY BODYCOUNT'S "COP KILLER" ONCE.

yes, I remember hearing that.

Plus, I also remember him playing 'I'm the Man' (I think its called) by Anthrax. The version with the filthy lyrics.

Fanning would still be great if left to his own devices and let present a programme that he could decide the format on himself.

I remember the Half Man Half Biscuit stuff. And his show was the first play I ever heard Leatherface. He played 'I want the moon'. I doubt anyone else in the history of Irish radio has ever played that song other than him.

Never met the guy, but he seems genuine and an all round good sort.

the man should not be allowed conduct interviews. he's like some long twisted arm of
hotpresss.

He probably got an an A in leaving cert interviews.

Thats what fucks me off about this country, incapable of proper lasting satire/critique

Dave shuffles his papers and goes again. "so mr cave, whats heroin really about?"

The only interview I saw him conduct which went well was with the kilers, like two

negatives resulting in a ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

ah its mostly positive. Thats a first for thumped I reckon.

His interviewing style is interesting to say the least. I remember one with Lou Reed. Fanning was all like, 'so Lou, that song, its about..., and.... ', etc. Reed cut him off and started laying into him saying stuff like, 'how the hell do you know what thats about or what was going through my mind. You haven't a clue'. It was great.

One thing I admired him for is that if he liked something, he liked it, whether it was cool or not to like it. I might not have agreed with him, but you have to admire him. How many people on here like stuff that they wouldn't admit to in a million years? Lots I'd say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back