Dave Fanning (2 Viewers)

rettucs

Supporter
Solutions
Post of the week winner: 22nd March, 2013
I think I saw him hovering around the Low gig last night and was just thinking I hadn't heard him (or of him) in ages.

He may be a bit of a blabbermouth that goes on way too much about stuff, but I think I'll always think fondly of him. His rock show back in the day was fairly groundbreaking in its style. Theres not a hope in hell RTE would ever let a show like that exist nowadays - something that appeals to the minority.

His demo tapes slot was always interesting, and mostly featured crap, but there was the odd gem.

Just wondering what others' opinions of him are. I mean more the Fanning of about 10-15 years ago than the one of today.

I think I saw him hovering around the Low gig last night and was just thinking I hadn't heard him (or of him) in ages.

He may be a bit of a blabbermouth that goes on way too much about stuff, but I think I'll always think fondly of him. His rock show back in the day was fairly groundbreaking in its style. Theres not a hope in hell RTE would ever let a show like that exist nowadays - something that appeals to the minority.

His demo tapes slot was always interesting, and mostly featured crap, but there was the odd gem.

Just wondering what others' opinions of him are. I mean more the Fanning of about 10-15 years ago than the one of today.

he's knows what he on's about - a rare commodity on irish radio....(then anyways, dunno about now!) have tapes and tapes of stuff that i recorded off his show back in the day. his sessions were a lifeline to bands too...

Essential listening during those heady and innocent times, the late Eighties. Ne'er a night went by when I wasn't anxiously hovering over my Unisef radio/cassette-tape player pressing the record button as he rabbited on over a Dead Milkmen, Stomp or I, Ludicrous tune.
Like everything else of it's time... I grew out of his show. I guess it was around the rise of the Manic Street Preachers that I tuned out-he just wasn't providing what I was looking for.
He did get me into R.E.M. and Nick Cave though so I'll rep him for that :)

i used to listen all the time, when i was doing my homework.

then one day, tony fenton ended the hotline with a stereophonic song, and after the news and sport, dave played the same fucking song.

i never listened to him after that.

true story.

met him once when i lived in in carlow years ago - i remember (very) drunkenly telling him (in a forceful tone) that the clash were greatest band ever over and over again - i think i scared him...

still, he signed a beermat for me - altogether nice chap, but i can never understand a word he says
:confused:
- leigh

i used to listen all the time, when i was doing my homework.

then one day, tony fenton ended the hotline with a stereophonic song, and after the news and sport, dave played the same fucking song.

i never listened to him after that.

true story.

It's a shame Tony Fenton-i never made that TV breakthrough. Gotta love that mid-Atlantic purr.
"I'm up to my helmet in Castrol GTX!! You're through to the Haat-liiine!"

Dave's a great guy. Whatever about the content of his radio show, he's still into new music as much as ever.

Personally, I think he's a bit of an overlooked resource, TV and radio-wise.

Dave is pretty dead on... has to be said. I used to see him out on the lock for a while, and he would chat to you, very smiley, happy, chatty. And he would buy you a drink, and not be at all anxious to leg it and talk to important people, and would even ask you what you were listening to etc. He really didnt give a fuck about celeb status in the slightest.

I met Donal Dineen out and about a few times and, like, he is sound too, but, I felt really awkward and stupid talking to him, and basically didn't more than I had to for ages, then I realised he was also a good guy, but for a while I thought he was a bit snooty.

Dave though, like from the instant I first met him was really really freindly.

Fuuny listening to him give interviews.. he rattles off these really long, involved questions including mini-histories of some part of his subject's career, then they sit there in bewilderment for a minute and pretty much say "yeah, okay..." Seems like a decent guy, I wouldn't be looking to him to learn about new music these days but I can appreciate that he was good for that in the 70s and 80s.

remember when he used to play demos by Irish bands

Octopus Underground

where are they now

Mangled Ferret
The Plops

I remember him playing Half Man Half Biscuit and Stump back in the day too

The show on R1 is terrible. there was on OK interview with the Davies bothers this week but generally the format is "songs with ...... in the title" and people text in suggestions - so all kinds of useless crap gets played.

You dont get the impression from listening that he is even enjoying it much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back