Ireland (14 Viewers)

Did anyone else here do their LC in 1994 and remember prescribed prose called 'an duchasach deirneach' about FZD1250 and BZD1248 falling in love in a dystopian future society (which was forbidden because their names didn't match)? And then finding this paradise called 'Ireland'? It was pure fucking muck.
Was there a jolly Gaeltacht Paddy with a big beard in that?
I remember a lad a year younger than me (class of 1995) telling me about this. He thought it was hilarious and concurred that the material being studied was not up to standard.

We're suing the tans!
Over the Northern Ireland legacy Act aka the Mariah Carey Act

All over this law the British have done wherein they pretend we don't legally exist.
Which in fairness to them, is just codifying their longstanding attitude to this island.

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF

This is an infamous local incident where a school principal sent out flyers for Michael Lowry in a school letter.

The principal credited Lowry with helping get the school building mostly rebuilt.

The principal was called out on this and refused to apologise even when it got on the cover of the local newspaper and made the national media.
Several board members resigned.

Sometimes there is just nothing anyone can do to make someone accountable but at least someone tried.
Carr is still the school principal since the mid 90's.

Same school the following year in 2012. Hard luck if you're an atheist.

We're suing the tans!
Over the Northern Ireland legacy Act aka the Mariah Carey Act

All over this law the British have done wherein they pretend we don't legally exist.
Which in fairness to them, is just codifying their longstanding attitude to this island.

I Dont Know Her Mariah Carey GIF

It's so fucked up that even Jim McAllister will probably be backing the Irish government here.

Some prick was crowing at the Tory Party conference about how they'd got rid of the spectre that was hanging over the brave boys who served in NI.

Strictly speaking like, you consider the civilians your soldiers murdered to be your citizens, can a squaddy go around and clip a few people he doesn't like in Wakefield and that'll be ok too?

It's so fucked up that even Jim McAllister will probably be backing the Irish government here.

Some prick was crowing at the Tory Party conference about how they'd got rid of the spectre that was hanging over the brave boys who served in NI.

Strictly speaking like, you consider the civilians your soldiers murdered to be your citizens, can a squaddy go around and clip a few people he doesn't like in Wakefield and that'll be ok too?
Well, Wakefield.... maybe.

BBC report 20-11-1961
"Should Irish Immigration to Britain be restricted?"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's amusing to hear the term unskilled referring to lads doing scaffold and steel work 50 stories up.

That presenter is an extraordinary cunt altogether. It's weird seeing the remnants and leftover bits and pieces of anti Irish sentiment. I sat down to read My Family And Other Animals to the kids the other day, because I remember it being lovely. In the first chapter they're off ripping the piss out of the mother for looking like a haggard Irish washerwomen. If you read literature, or watch TV even from that period, it's springing out when you're least expecting it.

Within our own lives we've seen the Catholic Church go from being this seat of power and control over the community, to almost totally irrelevant.
It's this strange feeling of knowing that something was absolutely real, as well as struggling to believe that it ever was real because it's nonsense and alien today.

It's amusing to hear the term unskilled referring to lads doing scaffold and steel work 50 stories up.

That presenter is an extraordinary cunt altogether. It's weird seeing the remnants and leftover bits and pieces of anti Irish sentiment. I sat down to read My Family And Other Animals to the kids the other day, because I remember it being lovely. In the first chapter they're off ripping the piss out of the mother for looking like a haggard Irish washerwomen. If you read literature, or watch TV even from that period, it's springing out when you're least expecting it.

Within our own lives we've seen the Catholic Church go from being this seat of power and control over the community, to almost totally irrelevant.
It's this strange feeling of knowing that something was absolutely real, as well as struggling to believe that it ever was real because it's nonsense and alien today.
Ah Shure they gave Shane MacGowan a cool funeral though.

Latest from Tipp FM:
When I was in shop this morning, a caller on radio said he left for England in 1963 and is long back in Ireland.
Was asked if he experienced racism there? "No".
But the caller, a miserable guy who felt no one represented him, criticised all immigration to Ireland and politicians who criticised the arson attack on empty hotel in co. Galway.

Even Fran Curry the presenter had to call out some of things he said.
Irish government was mentioned in same breath as Hitler.

Why they let such a miserable isolated unhappy man on air...

BBC report 20-11-1961

Time travelling Steve Coogan at 06:10.
Maybe we're a bit spoilt, people our age-ish, in Ireland having gone through such massive social change in such a short time. It is fairly unusual in Europe.

BBC report 20-11-1961

Super clip. Like a goddamn nature programme for them.
"what is it that attracts the Irishman to this?"

My Grandad was a navvy. Worked up and down the length of ENgland doing all sorts of construction work.
I laboured on the Canary Wharf sites in the 90s.

Why they let such a miserable isolated unhappy man on air...
Why do you listen, man?
Why do it to yourself?

hang on, £17/week is like 400 quid in modern money.

What am I missing?

Not sure.
They were coming from poverty and mass unemployment.
This is a generation that wouldn't have been unfamiliar with being raised on a dirt floor.

You could buy a house for a grand back then. Easy.
Everything was cheaper. Rent was half nothing.

Of course, as we all know, for a lot of these lads, the lion's share often went to publicans.
But these jobs could support a family in Ireland.

How much did things cost in 1961?​

These are some prices of a few items in 1961.

1961 priceInflation adjusted
Gallon of petrol4s 11d£4.20
Pint of beer2s ½d£1.70
20 cigarettes4s 6d£3.80
Pint of milk8d56p
Large loaf of bread1s 1½d95p
Cossor CR1602 reel-to-reel tape recorder£38 17s£660
17" GEC black & white TV (Currys)49 guineas£870
Morphy-Richards hair drier£3 10s 8d£60
The Daily Mirror newspaper2½d to 3d18p to 21p
Average house price£2,440£41,000
Britvic orange juice - 6 fl. oz. can10-11d71-78p
Ford Anglia car£606£10,000
Tricity Kitchen Cold Junior refrigerator48 guineas£850
Creda Mercury Super Four - electric cooker£61 19s£1,100
Flatley 104 washing machine with wringer£17 17s£300
Boots Cologne bath size soap9d64p
Nescafé instant coffee (2oz tin)2s 10d£2.40
Men's nylon shirt (St. Michael) from Marks & Spencer£1 15s 11d£30
Chips - 6 pence worth or 1 shilling's worth6d or 1s42p or 85p
Tri-ang Scalextric GP3 model car racing track£8 18s£150

They did what was expected
The English would only have trusted them as manual labourers, and that's what they drifted to. We weren't viewed as being particularly smart, and as much as we didn't like it, we internalised it to an extent. How can you not?
Most everyone goes along to get along.

I have relatives from India and Sri Lanka, and they worked the trains back then. The English trusted them with those kind of jobs.
It was the smarter move in the long term. Jobs with pensions and good conditions.

They did what was expected
The English would only have trusted them as manual labourers, and that's what they drifted to. We weren't viewed as being particularly smart, and as much as we didn't like it, we internalise it to an extent. How can you not?
Most everyone goes along to get along.

Dunno about that. The report said even the architect is Irish, shock horror. In modern times I'm expected to be smart, if not skilled as such.

I always frame this as a class thing rather than an immigrant/race thing. It seems obvious to me. In that context, the accent implies class, and that means you have a role. The higher ups then feel safe in their position with their accents, and it all remains as it should be. Though these thoughts should really be in the Brexit thread.

Regarding the cost of things, my mate Gypsy Dave not his real name, said back when was a 16 year old apprentice, 45 years ago, he could afford a full breakfast, 20 cigarettes, 6 pints in the pub, and a Chinese takeaway, every single working day. And pay his mum £10/week in rent. And then go on the lash on the weekend. His son can't do that now, even though he's a good lad.

I always frame this as a class thing rather than an immigrant/race thing. It seems obvious to me. In that context, the accent implies class, and that means you have a role. The higher ups then feel safe in their position with their accents, and it all remains as it should be. Though these thoughts should really be in the Brexit thread.
I mean there's probably now way to say for sure which way they thought back then.
Just culturally, things like the Punch view of the Irish don't go away overnight. Working Men's clubs were full of comedians doing Irishmen jokes about how stupid we were. I think it persists up to a point.
"Paddy is a moron, spud thick mick, breeds like a rabbit, thinks with his prick".....
Regarding the cost of things, my mate Gypsy Dave not his real name, said back when was a 16 year old apprentice, 45 years ago, he could afford a full breakfast, 20 cigarettes, 6 pints in the pub, and a Chinese takeaway, every single working day. And pay his mum £10/week in rent. And then go on the lash on the weekend. His son can't do that now, even though he's a good lad.
A very happy Christmas to Gypsy Dave and all who rave with him

I think we are, or at least I am personally, super-lucky with the current Irish stereotype that people have, which is basically "friendly and fun"

In Ireland I'm a total lightweight, but at any work thing I go to it's all "egg_ brings the partaaaayyyy"

Super clip. Like a goddamn nature programme for them.
"what is it that attracts the Irishman to this?"

My Grandad was a navvy. Worked up and down the length of ENgland doing all sorts of construction work.
I laboured on the Canary Wharf sites in the 90s.

Why do you listen, man?
Why do it to yourself?
I was in a shop!

Users who are viewing this thread

• dudley
  • Kermit McDermott
  • rettucs
  • G
  • egg_
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back