Normal People (1 Viewer)

Furthermore to my previous rantings I too have seen people on twitter raving about it. I'm not sure the timing could have been better, lock everyone in their houses for a few weeks, remove the basics like a social pint or a catch up over a cup of tea, disrupt family dynamics, relationships, close the colleges and then broadcast a mundane college romance montague/capulet box ticker. I don't know what actually happens in it but I've seen very little to confirm it isn't the above. Obvs the producers and writers could never have predicted such a turn in society but inadvertantaly made the hook it to my veins banality we all need right now.

Please read this exact point in the guardian / IT opinions column and refer me to it.

christ, people on twitter saying its the most amazing thing ever. People here saying its shite.

I'm in the 'its shite' camp, despite not having seen it or having read the book.

I get it that people can like different stuff. But this is as polarising as shit gets.
I think it's neither of those. It's a well made modern romantic drama, with nuanced performances and a good bit of riding but it's waaaaaaaay too long. 7/10

There was about 10 minutes alone of people just preparing food in that episode.
It's written by a woman.
You are going to see more food stuff in female-centred fiction.
If you read the Hunger Games novels, every day she talks about what she's eating and what she's wearing. And then gets on to the killing.

Furthermore to my previous rantings I too have seen people on twitter raving about it. I'm not sure the timing could have been better, lock everyone in their houses for a few weeks, remove the basics like a social pint or a catch up over a cup of tea, disrupt family dynamics, relationships, close the colleges and then broadcast a mundane college romance montague/capulet box ticker. I don't know what actually happens in it but I've seen very little to confirm it isn't the above. Obvs the producers and writers could never have predicted such a turn in society but inadvertantaly made the hook it to my veins banality we all need right now.

Please read this exact point in the guardian / IT opinions column and refer me to it.
Yeah, it has a 'captive' audience - so to speak.
Also, people want to like it, because the book was popular with tastemakers.
It's prestige stuff and gets the benefit of a welcoming audience.
On our end of Twitter, that skews Irish, people are mostly in the bag for it.

I bet they'll manage to squeeze a christmas special out of her AWARD WINNING SHORT STORY Mr. Salary as well.

And by "I bet" I mean it's set at christmas so it will happen this year.

Hyped for the socially distanced woke mickey scene.
I'm wondering if there'll be a grunge-like mass-signings/adaptation of all the young, sad Irish girl authors who have followed in Rooney's wake - Nicole Flattery, Naoise Dolan, there's probably more I've missed. Life awash with meaningless sex and crippling depression, it's never been better to be Irish!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back