Normal People (1 Viewer)

I'm wondering if there'll be a grunge-like mass-signings/adaptation of all the young, sad Irish girl authors who have followed in Rooney's wake - Nicole Flattery, Naoise Dolan, there's probably more I've missed. Life awash with meaningless sex and crippling depression, it's never been better to be Irish!

Who will be the 'bush' of the rooney era? :) But yeah i think it'll be on the shelves for xmas now that you've brought it up

Watched the first 2, its decent but a bit slow. The super weighted down seriousness of it was something that didnt bother me in the novel - which I liked but didnt love, but she is a great writer, it's just not that great a story - but bored me a little here on screen. And I'm like, queen of the heavy emo nothingness.

But yeah not bad will keep watching. Bizarre it's so long, when they announced it, I'd presumed a 4 parter

Finished the book last night. It really is very good. For whatever reason, I rarely find myself reading novels which are (a) about relationships and (b) set in Ireland, so there might be a certain novelty factor there. In other words, the complaint that "this is a story we have heard so many times before" is not really one that applies to my experience of it. It takes quite a dark turn around 2/3 of the way through so it will be interesting to see how the TV series handles this. Some of its very insightful and I found myself thinking about it afterwards (which is not often the case). The class thing is a definite central core of the story but Hives is right in that it broadens out a lot to encompass more general things about how people communicate (or fail to communicate) with each other. It also zips along .... which helps a lot.

I still find myself immensely irritated by Irish Twitter going into paroxysms of outrage and disbelief at any criticism of Sally Rooney though.

Well, at the risk of sounding full of myself (come on you pricks, say something)- it's a novel, and a decent one at that; and any decent novel cannot be reduced to being "about" one or two single things. So both "it's a novel about class" and "it's not a novel about class" are incorrect through omission.

I mean, it's a novel about relationships, and insecurities, and Ireland, and class, and cliques, and sex, and loneliness, and depression, and romance, and language, and peer pressure, and university, and communication, and so on

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back